identity

At 104 Years Of Age, Ray Chavez Hits The Gym He Can Visit Pearl Harbor

CREDIT: NBC NIGHTLY NEWS / FACEBOOK

Meet Ray Chavez.

screen-shot-2016-12-07-at-11-34-45-am
CREDIT: JELLYOFTHESEA / INSTAGRAM

Chavez is one of San Diego’s most distinguished residents.

At 104 years old, Chavez is the oldest surviving veteran of the Pearl Harbor attack that took place on Dec. 7, 1941.


There are less than 2,000 Pearl Harbor survivors still living today.

Seaman 1st class Chavez was still in his twenties when Japanese warplanes attacked his base, located near Honolulu Hawaii.

screen-shot-2016-12-07-at-11-37-23-am
CREDIT: AMERICA’S NAVY / YOUTUBE

Over the course of the two hour attack, 2,403 people were killed, prompting President Roosevelt to call Dec. 7th, “a day that will live in infamy.”

In the aftermath, Chavez remained on continuous patrol for several days, witnessing the devastation first hand.

screen-shot-2016-12-07-at-11-40-22-am
CREDIT: NEW DOC FILMS / YOUTUBE

During those anxious days, Chavez didn’t know if his wife or child had survived. Thankfully for Chavez, they survived.

Even at 104 years of age, Chavez still falls asleep thinking about the horrific events.

In an interview with People, Chavez’s daughter, Kathleen Chavez, who is also retired from the Navy, said that when Ray closes his eyes, he can “see, smell and hear every second.”

 As the war progressed, Chavez earned the rank of chief, but he retired from military life in 1945, due to PTSD-related issues.

"December 7th, 1941 – A day which will live in infamy." -Roosevelt 75 years ago the Empire of Japan launched a surprise attack on the United States Naval Base Pearl Harbor, Hawaii decimating the pacific fleet. Eighteen ships either sunk or badly damaged, 350 aircraft were destroyed or badly damaged, and the loss of life was tremendous. 2,403 people lost their lives that day and another 1,178 were wounded. The USS Arizona still lies at the bottom of Pearl Harbor with its crew still entombed. This act of war catapulted America into World War II. America struck back to the heart of Japan with fearless pilots in the Doolittle Raids, The bombing of Hiroshima, and two days later the bombing of Nagasaki knocking Japan out of the war. The bombings of Japan took the lives of 130,000- 220,000 people half of which were in the first days. No good thing comes from war but we will always remember those who lost their lives. Pro Patria! #pearlharbor #december7th #1941 #army #navy #marines #airforce #remember #neverforget #rockthetroops #worldwar2 #veterans #freedomisntfree #?? #america #raychavez

A photo posted by Jon Lawrence (@officialjonlaw) on


The events of the war took a strong toll on Chavez. For three months after his retirement, Chavez couldn’t stop shaking from the psychological trauma he’d endured, Kathleen told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

More than four decades after the war, Chavez couldn’t overcome the emotional hurdles to return to Pearl Harbor.

screen-shot-2016-12-07-at-12-05-42-pm
CREDIT: NBC NIGHTLY NEWS / FACEBOOK

The emotional and mental burden was too much for him to bear, his daughter told People.

And then on the 50th anniversary of the attack in 1991, Chavez found the courage he needed to visit the memorial.

#pearlharbormemorial #pearlharbor75 #75yearsagotoday #hawaii #oahu #ussarizona #ussarizonamemorial

A photo posted by Sarah Milligan (@mattsarahmilligan) on


Earlier this year, Chavez spoke to the San Diego Union-Tribune about his first trip back, saying, “The first time I went back, I cried.”

Since then, Chavez has gotten older, but he’s not about to let his advanced age keep him from returning to Pearl Harbor.

screen-shot-2016-12-07-at-12-01-14-pm
CREDIT: NBC NIGHTLY NEWS / FACEBOOK

Two times a week, for the last three years, Chavez and his personal trainer,  Sean Thompson, have kept the veteran in great shape.

The 104-year-old credits a healthy lifestyle and a personal trainer as the reason he’s still able to make the trip to Hawaii.

screen-shot-2016-12-07-at-12-13-23-pm
CREDIT: NBC NIGHTLY NEWS / FACEBOOK

Chavez works out more than some people half his age.

screen-shot-2016-12-07-at-11-47-10-am

Thanks to his efforts in the gym — like his exercise bike routine — good health has enabled Chavez to make the long trip every year.

December 7th, 2016, marks the 75th anniversary of the attack, and Chavez was there to pay his respects.

Never forget. #pearlharbormemorial #pearlharborday #pearlharbor #neverforget #neverforgotten #75years #merica??

A photo posted by Nolan Anderson (@nolan_anderson3) on


A day that once lived in “infamy” is now a day to honor the bravery Chavez, and many other heroes, exhibited that harrowing day.

screen-shot-2016-12-07-at-10-45-46-am
CREDIT: SEAWOLF727 / INSTAGRAM

“I hope people never forget. They can’t,” Ray told People magazine.

Watch Ray prepare for the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

INSPIRING AMERICA: 3 years ago, 104-year-old US veteran Ray Chavez — the oldest-known Pearl Harbor attack survivor — started working with a trainer to prepare his body to make the trip to Hawaii this week to mark the 75th anniv. of the attack. #InspiringAmerica #PearlHarbor

Posted by NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt on Monday, December 5, 2016

READ: It’s 2016 And Latino Veterans Are Getting Discharged, Then Deported

Like this story? Click on the share button below to send to your friends. 

ICE Says It Totally Planned To Release Hundreds Of Immigrant Mothers And Children From Detention

Things That Matter

ICE Says It Totally Planned To Release Hundreds Of Immigrant Mothers And Children From Detention

McClatchy / ICE

Last weekend, nearly 500 asylum-seeking women and children in Texas were released from the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City and the South Texas Family Residential Center in Dilley.

Busloads of detainees were then dropped off in San Antonio, where, according to the Sacramento Bee, several of the detainees took shelter in the San Antonio Mennonite Fellowship church.

The release of detainees comes after a federal judge in Austin ruled on Friday that the licensing for the two facilities “runs counter to the general objectives of the Texas Human Resources Code and is, therefore, invalid.”

The two facilities, which were the only two immigration detention centers in Texas licensed to hold children, were essentially stripped of their license.

ICE claims that the move, which surprised many, was actually planned and has nothing to do with the court’s ruling.

Here is some brief footage released by ICE featuring the Karnes County Residential Center:

Credit: McClatchyDC / YouTube

According to RAICES (Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services), a nonprofit agency in San Antonio that assists members of the immigrant community, ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) started sending over buses filled with over 460 women and children predominantly from Central America.

RAICES normally receives a caseload of about three families a day, whom they feed and help with transportation, housing, securing legal counsel and any other needs that may arise. Understandably, the organization was not prepared to accommodate so many people at once. Local churches including the San Antonio Mennonite Fellowship have stepped up to help.

Since no clear or official explanation has been given as to why so many mothers and children were released all at once, RAICES director Jonathan Ryan said in a press release,

We can only hope this is a sign that the Obama Administration is finally deciding to end this failed experiment in family detention. We call upon the Obama Administration to continue these releases and end family detention, end the detention of asylum seekers, and cut ties with private prison companies.

Learn more about the mothers and children released from the Texas detention centers here.

If you would like to help RAICES support the mothers and children of the Karnes and Dilley detention centers, you can make a donation here.


WATCH: After 22 Years, This Mexican Immigrant Dad Finally Saw His Parents

Click on the share button below to share with your friends.