The best advice I could possibly give you is to take a moment, every day, to think about Celia Cruz’s eternal greatness. It will uplift you, motivate you, and remind you that perfection is possible, and its embodiment is a Cuban woman in a magnificent wig. Try it! Here, let me show you how:
1. OK, first thing’s first: THE VOICE.
You can’t talk about Celia’s many contributions to the world without first recognizing the power and range of her voice. She’s amazing!
2. She’s always had a style all her own.
The nails. The lipstick. The eyeshadow!!!
3. And those moves!
4. And she fought — hard — to find her place onstage.
Especially early in her career, Celia battled racism, sexism and other people’s goddamn insecurity to get to her rightful place in the spotlight. Stories like Celia’s don’t happen overnight — there’s a lot of passion and perseverance that went on behind the scenes.
5. In fact, there was a whole telenovela dedicated to her life and career.
Yes, honey! A Telemundo telenovela all about La Reina.
6. She gave a voice to the Cuban experience.
Leaving your homeland is by no means easy, but Celia Cruz gave Cuban exiles and their experience a voice and a rallying cry.
7. And she basically gave Cuba a second national anthem.
Have José Martí’s words ever sounded more beautiful than when they’re sung by Celia?
8. She knew how to work a wig.
This cannot be emphasized enough.
…Like, seriously though.
The trick is to wear the wig so that the wig doesn’t wear you. I mean, no lie and no offense, but you probably can’t manage this. Celia can.
9. It’s not a party until a Celia song comes on.
I’m talking “La Vida es un Carnaval,” I’m talking “La Negra Tiene Tumba’o,” I am talking “Quim(mothereffin’)bara.” So many precious gifts, all from one woman.
10. Her cover of “I Will Survive” surpasses the original.
Now I’m not saying Gloria Gaynor isn’t also a goddess and a queen, because she surely is. But Celia’s take on the ultimate break up masterpiece is just, I mean, light years beyond.
11. She genuinely supported her fellow artists.
And her singing with La India will change your whole life.
12. And through her music, she’ll live forever.
Love you, Celia!
What else do you love about Celia? Share it with us!