Entertainment

Alex Trebek’s Wife Jean Shared A Sweet Photo From Their Wedding Following Her Husband’s Death

Alex Trebek, the neighborly “Jeopardy!” host with all of the correct answers and encouragement passed away over the weekend. He was 80 years old.

Last year, in March 2019, Trebek revealed he had been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. With this news came an outpour of support from fans who recognized Trebek as the decades-long host of the classic game show that gives contestants answers first, so that they can supply the question.

“I’m going to fight this and I’m going to keep working,” he said at the time of his diagnosis reveal and returned to work just a week later.

In the months leading up to his death, Trebek revealed that he was prepared to say goodbye.

Trebek passed away on Sunday after over a year-long battle with stage four pancreatic cancer.

Speaking during ABC’s “What Is Jeopardy?” the host revealed that he had already planned his goodbye to the trivia show that he had hosted since 1984.

“I have learned something in the past year and it’s this: We don’t know when we’re going to die,” Trebek explained at the time. “Because of the cancer diagnosis, it’s no longer an open-ended life, it’s a closed-ended life because of the terrible … survival rates of pancreatic cancer… I’ve kind of, in my mind, rehearsed it already, and what I would do on that day is tell the director, ‘Time the showdown to leave me 30 seconds at the end. That’s all I want,'” he said in January during ABC’s What Is Jeopardy? special. “And I will say my goodbyes and I will tell people: ‘Don’t ask me who’s going to replace me because I have no say whatsoever. But I’m sure that if you give them the same love and attention and respect that you have shown me … then they will be a success and the show will continue being a success.'”O

Of his final words, Trebek said that he would say “‘And until we meet again, God bless you and goodbye.’”

On Wednesday, Trebek’s wife, Jean Currivan Trebek thanked fans for their support in the wake of her husband’s passing.

In a post to her Instagram Jean wrote a heartfelt post telling fans “My family and I sincerely thank you all for your compassionate messages and generosity.”

“Your expressions have truly touched our hearts. Thank you so very, very much,” she went onto write. “Many Blessings to all, Jean Trebek.”

Jean shared a post with a photo of the couple on their wedding day that featured Trebek wearing a white suit and Jean in a pillbox hat. In the image Trebek can be seen slipping a ring on Jean’s finger.

In January, Trebek spoke abouthis decades-long relationship with Jean in an interview with People saying that he was “pretty satisfied with my life.”

“But my wife Jean and I have been together almost 29 years, and I was thinking about President Bush when he died, and all the comments about his life about what a nice guy he is, and how he and his wife had been together 73 years. I thought, oh my gosh … if I’d just met Jean in my 20s we could have had a longer life together,” Trebek explained before adding.He jokingly added, “I guess if I’d met her when I was in my 20s she wouldn’t have been born yet. But hey, 29 years is pretty good!”

Trebek’s death was confirmed on Sunday but new episodes of the show will continue to air through Dec. 25.

Trebek’s final day in the “Jeopardy!” studio was ten days before his death on Oct. 29.

In a statement about his death, the show explained that they were “saddened to share that Alex Trebek passed away peacefully at home early this morning, surrounded by family and friends.”

“Today we lost a legend and a beloved member of the Sony Pictures family,” Sony Pictures Television said in a separate statement. “For 37 amazing years, Alex Trebek was that comforting voice, that moment of escape and entertainment at the end of a long, hard day for millions of people around the world.”

Soon after the COVID-19 pandemic started earlier this year, production on the ABC game show paused but resumed over the summer.

Trebek returned for filming and told The New York Times at the time that shooting the show was livening. “Oddly enough, when we started taping I suddenly started to regain my strength,” he said. “It’s the strangest thing. It is some kind of an elixir.”

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Team Trump’s Latest Appearance At The Oversight Committee Hearing Was A Complete Trainwreck Oh And Giuliani Farted

Entertainment

Team Trump’s Latest Appearance At The Oversight Committee Hearing Was A Complete Trainwreck Oh And Giuliani Farted

Alex Wong / Getty

Something stinks in the White House and it’s not just Donald Trump and his inability to cope with being a loser.

Rudy Giuliani’s campaign effort to undermine the results of the 2020 presidential election continues to waft through hearing rooms like a rotten gaseous scent… which, according to video recordings, not unlike the one Guiliani is suspected of releasing during Wednesday night’s conspiracy-filled hearing in Lansing, Michigan.

Giuliana stirred up a rash of cackles this week when the audible sounds of his stomach were heard during the hearings.

Four hours into the lengthy event, two fart sounds could be heard while Giuliani delivered his speeches. During the Michigan hearing, Michigan state Rep. Darrin Camilleri asked Guiliani a question about the recent New York Times story which reported that Giuliani talked with President Donald Trump about seeking pardons for himself last week.

“The discussions between Mr. Trump and Mr. Giuliani occurred as the former New York mayor has become one of the loudest voices pushing baseless claims of widespread fraud in the 2020 election, which Mr. Trump still proclaims publicly that he won,” NYT reported. “Many of Mr. Trump’s longtime aides have refused to do his bidding to try to overturn an election that President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. won by nearly seven million votes. But Mr. Giuliani has repeatedly thrust himself into the spotlight to cast doubt on the results, which has ingratiated him with the president.”

Guiliani objected to Rep. Camilleri’s questions and accused him of defamation.

“I will ask that he be disciplined for that,” Giuliani requested into the microphone which picked up the first pedo sound.

Not 90 seconds later, Camilleri asked Giuliani to address Attorney General Bill Barr’s statement that federal prosecutors had yet to come across evidence of election fraud.

“The answer that I gave you was that they didn’t bother to interview a single witness,” Giuliani replied as another louder even larger sounding pedo came in through the mic.

It didn’t take long for Giuliani’s loud fart to go viral on Twitter.

HuffPost reporter Ryan Reilly shared the clip on Twitter on Wednesday night. It has since been viewed more than 1.6 million times.

Users were quick to note that Jenna Ellis, another attorney taking part in Giuliani’s campaign of lies about a Trump 2020 victory. (Which did not happen) could be seen reacting to the noise by glancing at him over her shoulder.

Like the hot air Giuliani blew into the hearing, there were quite a few bizarre moments that came about.

Giuliani brought in a parade of alleged election fraud witnesses who all managed to make outrageously conspiratorial and racist statements during the hearing. Plus, according to Buzzfeed, “Giuliani was not sworn in at the hearing, so he was under no legal obligation to tell the truth.”

One “witness,” Melissa Carone drew audible laughter during the hearing for her clown-like performance.

According to The Guardian, Carone is a contract worker for Dominion Voting Systems and “appeared before a Michigan house panel on Wednesday and insisted, without providing evidence, that tens of thousands of votes had been counted twice.” Her aggressive approach to her claims quickly drew viral attention on Twitter from users who were quick to compare her to a Saturday Night Live character.

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Elizabeth Smart Revealed That Her Parents Only Learned About The Rape and Abuse She Endured In Court

Fierce

Elizabeth Smart Revealed That Her Parents Only Learned About The Rape and Abuse She Endured In Court

George Frey / Getty

On June 5, 2002, Elizabeth Smart’s story made national headlines after she was abducted at knifepoint from her bedroom in Salt Lake City, Utah.

At the time of her kidnapping, the then-14-year-old was tragically raped and tied up daily for the next nine months and endured endless amounts of physical and mental abuse. Thankfully she was rescued nearly a year later on March 12, 2003, after two witnesses recognized her abductors Brian David Mitchell and Wanda Ileen Barzee. While the details of her kidnapping were splashed across headlines for years after her kidnapping Smart is now revealing that she did not want to talk about the details with her parents.

In a recent interview, Smart revealed that after being kidnapped as a teen, she couldn’t bring herself to share the details of her experience with her parents.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIMJvx9sI6K/embed/captioned/?cr=1&v=8&wp=892&rd=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.today.com&rp=%2Fnews%2Felizabeth-smart-never-told-parents-about-abuse-kidnappers-t202050#%7B%22ci%22%3A0%2C%22os%22%3A4020.9600000016508%2C%22ls%22%3A2017.149999999674%2C%22le%22%3A2018.3499999984633%7D

“The truth is I never sat them all down and had a ‘tell all’ experience with them,” Smart wrote on Instagram earlier this week. “Honestly when I got home I didn’t want anyone to know what had happened I was embarrassed and ashamed… I was brought to an advocacy center where I had to disclose much of what happened to two professionals and they, in turn, relayed much of what happened to my parents. But I don’t think my parents ever heard in detail what happened from my own lips until my court appearance almost a decade later.”

“I have so many thoughts and feelings on this topic, first and foremost I never want anyone to compare their experiences to me, we are all different and unique and we can never accurately compare our experiences to someone else’s,” Smart continued in her Instagram post. “I also want to point out my case was highly publicized, everyone already knew crimes were committed against me. So it didn’t take me coming forward and disclosing the extent of my abuse to multiple people before my captors were taken into custody. Nor did I have people doubt me.”

Smart shared in a separate Instagram post on Monday that she decided to reveal the details of the abuse she endured to prevent other victims from feeling shame.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIPRwh8sWes/embed/captioned/?cr=1&v=8&wp=892&rd=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.today.com&rp=%2Fnews%2Felizabeth-smart-never-told-parents-about-abuse-kidnappers-t202050#%7B%22ci%22%3A1%2C%22os%22%3A4033.0899999971734%2C%22ls%22%3A2017.149999999674%2C%22le%22%3A2018.3499999984633%7D

“I’ve noticed a lot of comments about dealing with the shame and embarrassment that I felt after I was rescued and didn’t want to tell anyone the details about what happened,” she wrote. “For years if a discussion or a situation occurred that would seem a natural opener to talking about what happened I generally sidestepped it. In my mind what had happened was something that I hated and never wanted to acknowledge so I just avoided thinking/talking about it.”

“But I remember one day my dad came to me and started discussing the charges Brian Mitchell was going to be charged with, and I felt anger, because of all the charges he was faced with none of them included the worst things he did to me. It was ultimately in that moment that I stopped caring and worrying about the shame and embarrassment that I felt.”

Smart revealed that speaking out about what happened to her ultimately made her feel empowered.

“If someone judged me for what happened, in my mind I came to the conclusion that they did not matter and clearly were not worth my time,” Smart explained. “Since then I became more and more involved in advocacy and as I went out I realized I was not alone in being a victim of rape and sexual abuse. This more than anything made me want to do more, change the culture, speak and share my story if it helped others. In my eyes the first step towards changing the culture of how we treat victims and survivors is to start by believing them!”

Since her kidnapping, Smart has become a mother of three and created a campaign for her Elizabeth Smart Foundation called #WeBelieveYou. The campaign works to encourage people to believe victims of sexual violence.

“For these and many other reasons I want Victim’s to know that #Ibelieveyou and I hope that as all of us move forward when we come across Victim’s and survivors our first reaction is to believe them!” she wrote on Instagram. “Should we have friends or family disclose to us just listen, they don’t owe us answers to our questions or curiosities. Love them, support them, and be their friend.”

Seventeen years after her rescue, Smart continues to express her thanks for those who helped find her.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIJdpZisFxb/embed/captioned/?cr=1&v=8&wp=892&rd=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.today.com&rp=%2Fnews%2Felizabeth-smart-never-told-parents-about-abuse-kidnappers-t202050#%7B%22ci%22%3A2%2C%22os%22%3A4054.7049999950104%2C%22ls%22%3A2017.149999999674%2C%22le%22%3A2018.3499999984633%7D

“For my seventh day posting about gratitude I feel I can not go without saying thank you to every person who searched for me, prayed for me, followed my story, and did everything they could to bring me home safely!” she wrote on Instagram Sunday. “I shudder to think what my life would be like if it weren’t for good everyday people! Would I still be with my captors? Would I even be alive? How could I survive so long if I were still with them? All terrifying thoughts that I will be so eternally grateful that I never had to find out… My life is absolutely different than I ever imagined it to be, even from the day after I got home when this photo was taken my life is still drastically different than I imagined it to be. However I also know I wouldn’t be where I am today without everything that happened and so for that too I am grateful! During this season of holidays and giving I wish you all the joy, peace, and happiness each one of us deserves! God bless you all!!”

Smart’s kidnapper Brian David Mitchell is currently serving a life sentence. His wife Wanda Barzee was released from a Utah prison in 2018.

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com