Things That Matter

This Man’s Family Speaks Out After Discovering He Was Killed And Eaten By The Man He Met On Grindr

A 25-year-old Michigan man was allegedly killed by his Grindr date 50-year-old Mark Latunski, according to court documents. Kevin Bacon was found stabbed in the back and hanging upside down from a ceiling with his testicles cut off. According to BuzzFeed News, the incident occurred during Christmas week after Bacon reportedly went missing for three days following a meet up with Latunski on Christmas Eve.  

Authorities discovered Bacon’s naked body after police showed up at Latunski’s home in Bennington Township.  

Court documents reveal the gruesome details of this tragic death.

According to BuzzFeed News, Bacon was already deceased when Latunski allegedly began castrating him.

“Mr. Latunski stated he used a knife, stabbed him in the back one time, then slit his throat,” Det. Sgt. James Moore testified in court. “Afterwards, Mr. Latunski stated he wrapped rope around the ankles of Mr. Bacon, and hung him from the rafters on the ceiling.” 

According to M Live, Latunski had a well-documented long battle with mental illness. In August, his ex-wife filed a court motion to limit the suspect’s time with their children. In the motion, his wife claimed, in 2010, he was diagnosed with depression, paranoid schizophrenia, and personality disorder but was not taking his medication. 

Latunski’s husband of three years, Jamie Arnold, told M Live he had only learned of Latunski’s mental health issues in July when Latunski was arrested for failure to pay child support. 

“To my knowledge, I couldn’t force him to see a therapist or take medication,” he told M Live. “Never in a million years did I think he’d be capable of doing such a horrendous crime.”

Bacon’s parents speak out about their tragic loss. 

‼️‼️‼️‼️PLEASE SHARE‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️My friend Kevin Bacon is missing. He was last seen leaving my house on Dec 24th at…

Posted by Kaylee Jo Mitchell on Friday, December 27, 2019

When Bacon went missing family and friends began to organize search parties online and offline.

“He said he was meeting someone in Swartz Creek and that he would be back later that night, but he has not returned home. His phone has been off since approximately 6:20pm. It is unusual for him to turn his phone off when he’s out and also not like him to not have his car with him when he meets people. We have reason to believe that he is not safe and is trapped,” his friend Kaylee Jo Mitchell wrote on Facebook. 

After police discovered what had unfolded and revelations about Bacon’s tragic end were revealed, his parents held a press conference urging people to be careful when using dating apps. 

“He obviously got into something he was not prepared for,” his father, Karl Bacon, said in a press conference. “Evil does exist, and it touched us. It’s gut-wrenching to hear the details, and we’re beside ourselves. I don’t think we’ve had the time … to process everything.”

Bacon’s parents feel that Latunski is playing the “mental health card.” 

In a court arraignment, according to M Live, when asked if Mark Latunski was his real name, Latunski responded that his real name was “Edgar Thomas Hill” and that Mark Latunski was actually his nephew. For the Bacon family, who just lost their beloved son, they speculate that Latunski is using his history of mental illness to evade consequences.

“He has used the mental health card to get out of situations in the past and he’s attempting to use it again,” Karl Bacon said. “I would like to see him locked up for the rest of his life in some form or another.”

Arnold said what his husband has done was not something he had imagined ever possible. However, he did acknowledge that his mental health began to spiral in February when he was fired from his job for erratic behavior. 

“I knew something wasn’t right, but I didn’t know it was to that extreme,” Arnold said. “He was progressively saying stranger and stranger things like the neighbors were polluting our water supply. They were all nonsensical. All I knew was I had to get out of the situation.”

Arnold conceded that he knew things were heading in a bad direction, but he could not get Latunski to take his medication nor was there a viable legal option to do so. 

While Latunski’s fate remains uncertain, Bacon’s fate has already been sealed. The case highlights the failures of dating apps to protect their users and how the mental health system in the United States fails its citizens. What is most important is how 25-year-old Kevin Bacon, a hairstylist working toward becoming a clinical therapist, is remembered. 

“Kevin was a colorful, vibrant being both inside and out. He did what he wanted to, when he wanted to, and let very little hold him back,” Michelle Myers, his best friend, said. “He was attentive and could remember all the small details – even all the ones that you forgot. I really could not have asked for a better friend. I was incredibly lucky to call him my friend,””

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at

Hundreds Gather to Mourn Yadhira Romero Martinez, Who Was Violently Murdered in Minnesota

Things That Matter

Hundreds Gather to Mourn Yadhira Romero Martinez, Who Was Violently Murdered in Minnesota

Photo via GoFundMe

Last Thursday, 19-year-old Yadhira Romero Martinez left work. Her housemate, Jose Daniel Cuenca-Zuniga’s, picked her up and drove her home. Surveillance footage showed her entering her home with Cuenca-Zuniga at 6pm. After that, no one ever heard from her again.

On Friday, authorities found Yadhira Romero Martinez dead in the room she rented in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Police found her “with a plastic bag lying across her forehead and wearing only a T-shirt.” There were bruises on her face and her neck. She had “what appeared to be handprints outlined in blood on her thighs.”

Yadhira Romero Martinez rented a room from a woman who owned a home in Minneapolis. She shared the house with at least one other renter, the aforementioned Jose Daniel Cuenca-Zuniga. Romero Martinez had moved from Mexico to Minneapolis last September. According to her family, she had moved to the U.S. for “a better life”.

By Friday, the homeowner realized that something was wrong. Through a cracked door, she saw Romero Martinez laying unconscious on her bed.

Cuenca-Zuniga told the homeowner that Yadhira had simply had too much to drink. But shortly after, the young man packed his belongings and fled. The homeowner then called the authorities after repeatedly knocking on the door and getting no answer.

On Sunday, police tracked down Jose Daniel Cuenca-Zuniga in Ohio, where he had fled. Police have since charged Cuenca-Zuniga with intentional second-degree murder.

Yadhira’s family, as well as the Minneapolis community at large, are grieving over the death of a bright young woman who “didn’t have a bad bone in her body.”

On Saturday, hundreds gathered in Minneapolis to attend the vigil of Yadhira Romero Martinez. Many of the mourners spoke about how the young woman’s murder was an act of misogynistic femicide.

“I didn’t know Yadhira, but I’m here because I’m a woman, like her, and I’m an immigrant, like her,” said one of the attendees to Fox 9 News. “And I’m scared that that’s going to happen to me.”

“It breaks my heart seeing just a Hispanic woman, lady, that gets her life taken away, you know, without doing nothing, without harming nobody,” said vigil attendee, Cesar Vence to WCCO. “Why do these things have to happen, you know, to a young lady that just comes from Mexico to work and support her family?”

On Facebook, Yadhira’s cousin, Jun Romero, wrote a passionate eulogy that doubled as a call-to-action.

“To have her life taken so soon to such a violent and disgusting way was something she didn’t deserve. No one deserves that,” he wrote. “She was my cousin. She was a daughter. She was a sister. SHE WAS A PERSON. I love her and I will miss her.”

He finished his post with: “Please protect your sisters and educate your boys/men. Machismo, sexism, and violence exist in every nook and cranny of our lives no matter how small. If you see it, stop it. Unlearn to stay silent in these matters for the sake of women and fem-presenting people everywhere. She didn’t deserve this and you don’t either.”

Her family set up a GoFundMe page to raise enough funds to “transport her body to Mexico so her parents can do a funeral service”. You can donate here.

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at

North Carolina Spanish Teacher Dies In Shootout With Mexican Cartel

Things That Matter

North Carolina Spanish Teacher Dies In Shootout With Mexican Cartel

Union Academy Charter School / Facebook

A beloved Spanish teacher at a North Carolina school was killed in a shootout with a Mexican cartel. The Spanish teacher and coach was popular among students, faculty, and staff and lived by the motto “All Love…No Fear.”

Coach Barney Harris was beloved at the Union Academy Charter School.

Harris’ death stunned the community and the school’s social media lit up with memorials and remembrances of the teacher. Students responded with notes honoring the coach. Yet, the varsity basketball and track coach for the Charlotte-area charter school was hiding a secret that quickly came to light shortly after his death.

As students, faculty, and staff expressed sorrow for his sudden death, details emerged that changed the narrative. Turns out that Harris was killed in a gunfight with a Mexican cartel. Authorities in North Carolina revealed that Harris’ body was found in a mobile home in Alamance County, where he allegedly met with drug runner Alonso Beltran Lara.

The details of Harris’ death have shocked more than his community.

The school’s social media pages quickly deleted tribute posts to the Spanish teacher when the details were revealed. Authorities were cautious with releasing the information to make sure that the facts were verified.

“I can tell you this right now. When we are dealing with the Mexican drug cartel, somebody’s probably going to die as a result of this right here, somewhere else. And we did not want to put it out there until we could get a good grip of what’s going on here,” Sheriff Terry Johnson told WCNC.

According to authorities, it is believed that Harris, along with his brother-in-law, killed a drug runner for the cartel and a gunfight ensued. Harris was killed during the shootout.

According to authorities, the two interstates, Interstate 85 and Interstate 40, have created a well-used corridor for moving money and drugs for the cartels.

Authorities seized five firearms, about $7,000 in cash, and 1.2 kilograms of suspected cocaine from the scene. No other people in the mobile home park were injured.

READ: It’s No Surprise El Chapo’s Wife Is In Jail, Her TikTok Was A Look Inside #CartelLife

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at