Things That Matter

Woman Who Live-Streamed DUI Crash That Killed Younger Sister Released On Parole After 26 Months In Prison

A California woman who was sentenced to more than six years in prison for causing the 2017 crash that took the life of her younger sister has been released on parole. The news comes as a surprise to some who remember the story of Obdulia Sanchez, 20, who caused and Instagram live-streamed her drunk driving accident that killed her 14-year-old sister Jacqueline Sanchez and injured her 15-year-old friend, Manuela Seja. 

Back in February 2018, a judge sentenced the then-18-year-old to 6 years and 4 months in prison for gross vehicular manslaughter, DUI and child endangerment for the July 2017, crash that killed her younger sister. Sanchez reportedly lost control of her car while on Instagram live-streaming herself driving drunk. Sanchez would plow her car into a fence in a field on the side of the highway near Los Banos, California. 

The hard crash would eject both of the teens, who were in the back seat and not wearing seat belts. Sanchez’s blood-alcohol level was registered at 0.106 about an hour after the crash happened, according to court records. 

“I don’t want to go to prison, but I deserve whatever punishment I receive,” Sanchez read from a letter she wrote during her original sentencing hearing. “She didn’t deserve to die the way she did. It should have been me.”

After serving 26 months in prison, Sanchez was released on Sept. 21 by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR).

Credit: @abc30 / Twitter

According to the AP, Sanchez was released on Sept. 21 after earning prison credit for time served while awaiting her sentence and for completing rehabilitative programs in prison, a spokesperson for the CDCR said. Sanchez would end up only serving 26 months of her original six-year sentence due to the saved prison credit time and good behavior behind bars. 

According to Ike Dodson, a spokesperson for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, California state law allowed for Sanchez to earn credits toward her sentence for good conduct and rehabilitative and educational achievements. 

“Sanchez received milestone credits for successful completion of approved rehabilitative or educational programs,” Dodson told the Merced Sun-Star. 

Dodson says that Sanchez was also approved for the state’s Custody to Community Transitional Reentry Program, which she had been part of since Nov. 8, 2018. The program lets serious and violent crime offenders leave prison earlier to serve their sentences back in their community while also providing services aimed at helping them re-enter the community, treatment for substance use disorders, relationships, employment etc, Dodson said.

Legal analyst David Mugridge told the that Sanchez’s early release is a surprising one. He says her behavior during her time at the reentry program must have been stellar for her to be out already. 

“Number one, she would’ve had to have no violations or very few violations,” Mugridge said. “Certainly no significant violations when she’s in the prison.”

While Sanchez may be out of prison, the details of this horrible tragedy still stick with us to this day. 


The case caught the attention of most of the country when details emerged of Sanchez’s antics after the deadly accident. Many were upset to find out she live-streamed the accident in the ensuing moments after her younger sister passed. 

“Jacqueline, please wake up. I f—— killed my sister, OK? I know I’m going to jail for life,” Sanchez, then 18-years-old, said in the live-stream video. “I love my sister … this is the last thing I thought was going to happen to us. I killed my sister, but I don’t care. I’m sorry baby. I’m a hold it down.”

During her sentencing, Sanchez said the crash kept on replaying in her head and felt that she failed her mom because of her role in the accident. While she was in jail, Sanchez wrote a letter detailing why she continued to live stream the incident she realized that her sister was dead. 

Sanchez wrote “I made that video because I knew I had more than 5,000 followers. It was the only way my sister would get a decent burial. I would never expose my sister like that. I anticipated the public donating money because my family isn’t rich.”

Just before her sentencing last year, Sanchez said to the courtroom that she regretted that entire room and asked why she was ever given a role as a sister. 

“I feel like such an idiot. Why did God choose me to be the older sister? I can’t even do my job right,”

READ: People Are Appalled At The Actions Of A Trump Supporter Harassing Desperate Migrants Crossing The U.S. Southern Border

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at

Family Of Man Who Died From Taco Eating Contest Sue Fresno Grizzlies Owner


Family Of Man Who Died From Taco Eating Contest Sue Fresno Grizzlies Owner

Dana Hutchings, 41, entered a taco eating contest during a Fresno Grizzlies game in 2019. He choked and died during the contest and now his son has filed a lawsuit against the baseball team.

The son of a man who died from a taco eating contest is suing for wrongful death.

Dana Hutchings, 41, died after choking during a taco eating contest during a Fresno Grizzlies game. His son has filed a wrongful death lawsuit claiming that the event organizers were not equipped to host the event. Furthermore, the lawsuit claims that the organizers failed to provide a medical response team.

“People say all the time he knew what he was getting into, well clearly he didn’t,” Martin Taleisnik, an attorney representing Hutchings’ son, Marshall told CBS17.

Marshall and his attorney are pushing back at the notion that Dana should have known better.

People have sounded off on social media criticizing the family for filing the lawsuit. Yet, the family and their attorney are calling attention to the lack of information given to contestants.

“If you don’t know all the pitfalls, how can you truly be consenting and participating freely and voluntarily? It’s a risk that resulted in a major loss to Marshall,” Taleisnik told CBS17.

Dana’s family is seeking a monetary settlement from the Fresno Grizzlies owners.

The wrongful death lawsuit names Fresno Sports and Events as the responsible party. The lawsuit also notes that alcohol was made available to contestants and added to the likelihood of the tragedy.

“We are devastated to learn that the fan that received medical attention following an event at Tuesday evening’s game has passed away. The Fresno Grizzlies extend our heartfelt prayers and condolences to the family of Mr. Hutchings,” a statement from the Fresno Grizzlies read after the death in 2019. “The safety and security of our fans is our highest priority. We will work closely with local authorities and provide any helpful information that is requested.”

READ: Kobe Bryant’s Wrongful Death Lawsuit Has Tragically Been Moved To Federal Court Despite Vanessa Bryant’s Pleas

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at

The Cop Who Killed Daunte Wright Says She Meant To Tase Him Instead Of Firing Her Gun

Things That Matter

The Cop Who Killed Daunte Wright Says She Meant To Tase Him Instead Of Firing Her Gun

Another Black man is dead, killed by the police.

Daunte Wright, a 20-year-old Black man from Minnesota was murdered on Sunday after a police officer pulled him over for a traffic violation. In an attempt to take in Wright after realizing he had an outstanding warrant for his arrest, it is being said that the officer meant to use her Taser but accidentally fired her gun.

Police in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota are saying that Wright’s attempt to reenter his car prompted the police fire.

Body camera footage of the Sunday incident was released for the first time on Monday during a news conference. Footage of the killing shows Wright outside of his car when authorities were attempting to place him under arrest. At one point, in the footage he can be seen attempting to reenter his vehicle, prompting a struggle with officers.

“I’ll tase ya,” a woman officer told Wright in the video after he attempted to kick her. “Taser, Taser, Taser!” the officer is heard yelling in the video before saying “Oh shit! I just shot him.”

According to Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon, the officer meant to reach for her Taser.

Instead, she grabbed her gun.

“This appears to me, from what I viewed and the officer’s reaction and distress immediately after, that this was an accidental discharge that resulted in the tragic death of Mr. Wright,” Gannon claimed.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension has identified the officer in the incident as Kim Potter, a 26-year veteran of the police department. Potter is now on administrative leave.

Speaking about her standing, Gannon said “I think we can watch the video and ascertain whether she will be returning.”

Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott publicly supported Potter’s termination.

“My position is that we cannot afford to make mistakes that lead to the loss of life of other people in our profession, so I do fully support releasing the officer of her duties,” he explained before revealing that the officers initiated the traffic stop after clocking an expired registration tag on the car’s vehicle. When they ran Wright’s name they learned that he had a warrant out for his arrest. “That’s why they were moving from the car and they were making custodial arrest.”

Gannon went onto explain that the only information he had about the arrest warrant was that it was attached to a “gross misdemeanor warrant.”

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at