things that matter

An Elotero Had His Cart Thrown To Ground And He Got It All On Video

Facebook/March And Rally Los Angeles

On July 17, Benjamin Ramirez, an elote street vendor in Los Angeles, was threatened and had his food cart damaged by a man later identified as Carlos A. Hakas. Ramirez told Fox 11 Los Angeles that he filmed the entire altercation on his phone because he was previously harassed by Hakas.

In their latest confrontation, Ramirez, 24, told Fox 11 that Hakas was behaving more aggressively, had a dog, and was holding something in his hand.

In Ramirez’s video that was posted yesterday — it has since gone viral — you can hear the Hakas telling Ramirez in Spanish to move his cart. Ramirez says to him, “you have a walkway, I am not moving.”

Los Angeles!Look at these scumbags!We live in a diverse city, we dont need shitty people like this!If you have info regarding the vendor, please message us, there are Organizations and media that want to help out!This is from a very trusted and respected organizer in Los Angeles, Ron Gochez, he and many are ready to help out this vendor:If anyone would like to help out, my friend Azusena Favela has started up a gofudme account to help out street vendors who have their stuff taken away by the cops or for people like the guy in the video. She's trustworthy so I know the money is going to the vendors. Please consider making a small donation. Thanks! https://www.gofundme.com/equipment-for-la-street-vendors

Posted by March And Rally Los Angeles on Monday, July 24, 2017

Credit: March And Rally Los Angeles / Facebook

The man continues to threaten Ramirez, and when he refuses to move his cart, the man pushes it over.

The woman in the video tells Ramirez to “stay the fuck away,” however, throughout the entire video, Ramirez is never near them. He firmly stands his ground and says he is not leaving from that street corner. After Hakas throws the cart down, Ramirez throws chile onto Hakas’ face. When Ramirez calls Hakas a racist, Hakas replies, “I’m not racist, I’m from Argentina.”

“Even after he threw my cart on the ground, he came after me, like he wanted me to attack him,” Ramirez told Fox 11 News.

People on social media were able to ID the assailant. He is from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Credit: Facebook

As soon as the video went live on Facebook, people on social media searched to identify the attacker. Fans of cartoonist Lalo Alcaraz, who posted the video of Ramirez getting threatened, flooded his thread and posted several of Hakas social media accounts, from LinkedIn to Instagram. Those accounts have since been deactivated. They also ID’d the woman in the video, Hakas partner as Holly Covella.

Posted by Daniel Gonzalez on Monday, July 24, 2017

Cartoonist Lalo Alcaraz posted this cartoon about this fateful encounter.

Journalist Aura Bogado posted a heartbreaking interview with Ramirez’s father, Alex.

Posted by Aura Bogado on Monday, July 24, 2017

Credit: Aura Bogado / Facebook

Alex told Bogado that he felt bad about what happened, especially when he saw his son’s food all over the street. He also said that they had to throw everything away. The only thing that remains is the cart itself, and that is severely damaged as well.

According to Bogado, Ramirez has been a street vendor since 2000 and nothing like this has ever happened to him.

He also added that his son had only been on that street corner (Romaine Street in Hollywood, Calif.) for a couple of weeks.

In the video, Alex told Bogado that the police were called but that they didn’t arrest Hakas because he spoke English and said that Ramirez was at fault.

According to NBC News, Hakas and Ramirez are expected to appear at a court date later this week. The police told NBC News that this is a civil case and that if Hakas fails to appear in court, they will issue a warrant for his arrest.

I just want justice,” Ramirez told Fox 11 News. “I just want him to pay for the loss of my products when he came to attack me.”

Supporters of Ramirez have set up a GoFundme fundraiser to help him restore his food cart.

CREDIT: GoFundme

Casey Horan, donated $10, and wrote: “My heart is absolutely shattered at the hatefulness of that evil man. Sending all my love and positivity to you Benjamin <3.” Anna Armendariz, contributed $20, wrote: “So sad about this new wave of hatred and racism that awoke after last years election. The worst part is that it was from one of our own Latino members.”

Update: AFM Local 47, a musicians’ union that counts Hakas as one of its members, released this statement about the incident:

“AFM Local 47 has been made aware of a recent incident involving one of our employees. This is now a police matter and we cannot comment on the ongoing investigation, nor can we comment on personnel matters.

As a labor union we believe in immigrant and workers’ rights and stand for dignity and respect for all workers in our community.”

READ: After Video Goes Viral, People Are Wondering About Identity Of Boy And Mother In Heartbreaking Viral Video

Recommend this story to a friend by clicking on the share button below.

After A Deadly Crash, The Teenage Driver Decided To Livestream The Aftermath

things that matter

After A Deadly Crash, The Teenage Driver Decided To Livestream The Aftermath

Last week, Obdulia Sanchez, an 18-year-old from Stockton, Calif., was driving her 14-year-old sister Jacqueline Sanchez, and her sister’s friend, Manuela Seja (also 14), when, according to NBC News, she veered to the shoulder of the road and crashed. The car flipped over, fatally injuring Sanchez’s sister and severely injuring Seja’s leg. According to the Associated Press, the two 14-year-olds were not wearing seatbelts.


CREDIT: Still of Obdulia Sanchez’s pre-accident livestream on Instagram

Obdulia Sanchez’s first instinct after the crash was to livestream the aftermath on Instagram. According to a video saved by Mary Hernandez, one of Sanchez’s Instagram followers, the teenager could be heard saying: “I f—–g killed my sister, OK? I know I’m going to jail for life. This is the last thing I wanted to happen, OK? I don’t f—–g care though, I’m going to hold it down. Rest in peace, sweetie. If you don’t survive, I am so f—–g sorry.”

One of Sanchez’s cousins told NBC News that Jacqueline was supposed to celebrate her quinceañera that Sunday.

Despite sustaining a serious injury to her leg, the other survivor, Manuela Seja told KSEE News that she didn’t blame Obdulia Sanchez: “Honestly, I’m not mad at anybody and I don’t blame anybody.”


CREDIT: Still of Obdulia Sanchez’s post-accident livestream on Instagram

Family members told KFSN News that Sanchez was on Instagram live before, during and after the crash.

Mary Hernandez, who shared the video, told KFSN News that at first, she didn’t believe the footage was real. “I recorded it and posted it mainly because, as someone who uses Snapchat, I see a lot of people driving with their Snapchats doing what she was doing, so to me it was like an eye opener,” she explained. Hernandez told NBC News she hoped the video could be an example of what not to do in that situation: “I hope that this video makes people think twice about what they’re doing in their car.”


CREDIT: Merced County Sheriff’s Office

A spokesperson for Instagram told NBC News that they were “deeply saddened” by the accident, adding: “We urge people to use our reporting tools if they see any content or behavior that puts anyone’s safety at risk. We want to interrupt these streams as quickly as possible when they’re reported to us, and we will also notify law enforcement if we see a threat that requires an immediate response.”

Sanchez, who Sheriffs believe was under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, was arrested for suspicion of DUI and gross vehicular manslaughter. According to NBC News, she is being held on $300,000 bail at the John Latoracca Correctional Facility in Merced, Calif.

Recommend this story to a friend by clicking on the share button below.

Paid Promoted Stories