19 Facts You Might Not Know About The Boy Band Menudo
If you don’t know who the boy band Menudo is, then you didn’t grow up in the 80’s. They dropped their first album in 1977 and were together for 22 years. By together, I mean that they kept replacing the aging boys with fresh, new young faces, making Menudo the band you’d fight to join.
Here’s what we didn’t know about them growing up.
1. They were the first Latino boy band ever.
The band was formed by Puerto Rican producer Edgardo Díaz in the 1970s. The band reached it’s peak in the ’90s with several hit songs. Díaz was also the man who created the group La Pandilla.
2. Menudo went punk rock in the ’80s.
The band had a total image makeover, and so did their music. It went from “bubblegum pop” to rock. They even released an album called “Somos Los Hijos del Rock.” Not on the nose at all.
3. Ricky Martin made his first big break with Menudo.
4. Ricky Martin left after 5 years with Menudo for telenovelas.
Ricky was signed onto a Mexican telenovela, that every single one of our mother’s watched, called “Alcanzar una estrella.” And with that, a star was born.
5. Draco Rosa was in Menudo at the same time as Ricky.
They’re rumored to be best friends to this day. Rosa is known for writing and producing many of Ricky’s later hit singles, including “María,” “La Vida Loca,” “She Bangs” and “Shake Your Bon-Bon.”
Gracias por su servicio. ????
6. The two even worked on a single together recently.
They came together on a music video that has over 10 million views where both are in a foggy “Pride and Prejudice” esque setting serenading an extremely thin woman. Show me Ricky serenading his husband and I’ll scream for it.
7. The band took a break in the late 90’s and rebooted in 2007 with this look:
Oh man. The early 2000s was a crazy time for fashion. See that guy in the middle? You might recognize his face from someplace more recent.
8. Troy Kurtis went on to place third in “The X Factor” in 2012.
He auditioned entirely in Spanish and reportedly seduced judges Demi Lovato and Britney Spears with a “very sexy” performance (Britney Spears’ words, not mine). I’m throwing back and watching this season again.
9. The band manager would cut any member who started going through puberty.
One member even remembers finding out he was going to go during an interview with producer Díaz. The interviewer asked who was going to go next, and he just pointed at that guy. #Brutal
10. During the 2016 elections #fakenews came out that Marco Rubio was in Menudo.
Which was hilarious at best and a problematic hit for Latinos at worst. We wish he did make it to Menudo, so maybe he wouldn’t have turned out so conservative.
11. Menudo was in the Uno Rulebook.
Just kidding. Could you imagine what their lives would be like if they had to do that?
12. Luis Fonsi tried out for Menudo, but didn’t make the cut.
Luis Fonsi auditioned for Menudo when he was just ten years old. “I got called back. I got to the semifinals. This is probably the most exciting time in my life. Menudo was Menudo.”
“I passed the singing, I passed the dancing, but you know what I failed? The English.”
13. You can buy vintage Menudo action dolls for $70 on Etsy.
Some figurines go for $15, but you probably don’t want those guys. You probably want Ricky or Draco. They’re the money.
14. Menudo starred as themselves in two feature films.
There was such a huge market for Menudo content, they couldn’t create it fast enough.
“Una Aventura Llamada Menudo” and “Menudo: La Película” were a big deal for the boys themselves, because most of them went on to star in telenovelas. Only a couple are known for their music to this day.
15. Telemundo Puerto Rico even gave them a television show.
Mostly, there was a lot of pelvis thrusting, but every year it hosted a beauty pageant called “La chica de Menudo.” The winner would sometimes be seen in music videos or at their Puerto Rican concerts. #score
16. Menudo even made it’s way into it’s own MTV’s reality series.
“Road to Menudo” and “Making Menudo” were a blast. It was basically like American Idol, except they shoved a bunch of Puerto Rican boys into a house together, forced them to compete, and promise them a place in Menudo.
17. Their last single was written by Bruno Mars in 2008.
It was called “Lost”, and …then the band, the fame, the #menudomania all faded away.
18. This crew, tho, will always live in our hearts…
As the kids who put Puerto Rico on the map and kept it there. Te amo, Ricky, Rubén, Sergio, Robert y Angelo!
19. All in all, Menudo was, is, and forever will be the best boy band of all time. ????
When One Direction started becoming a thing, everyone was quick to reminisce about the good old days with the original Juan Direction.