25 Reasons Why Riverdale’s Camila Mendes Should Be Your #WCW
If you’re not watching The CW’s “Riverdale,” stop what you’re doing because Camila Mendes slays her role as Veronica, Riverdale High School’s newest “silver-tongued sophomore”, fresh in from New York.
Real life actress, Camila Mendes, is actually new on the Hollywood scene, and I needed to know more about my new fave TV character. Here’s 25 Facts about loveable, foodie Camila Mendes that will make you swoon:
1. “Riverdale” is Camila Mendes’ first acting role.@camimendes / Instagram
She graduated from NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts in May 2016, and Cole Sprouse (a.k.a. Jughead) was in her class! P.S. Tisch also produced Gina Rodriguez of “Jane the Virgin.”
2. Though her first gig was in an IKEA commercial.Camila Mendes Brasi / YouTube
In college, she was immediately recognized for her mad acting skills and was sought after by different casting directors. Muchísimas gracias, Mendes, for becoming Veronica Lodge. ily.
3. She lets us in on some of her college-aged acting vids.@camimendes / Instagram
She’s so committed to her craft and told People Magazine that she’s relieved to have made her big break. “Now I can actually focus on building a career doing what I love, which was all I’ve ever wanted.”
Caption: “what I did with my free time in 2015”
4. She’s Brazilian-American and speaks fluent Portuguese and Spanish.@CamilaMendes / Twitter
Which is Camila Mendes ethnic background? She tells People Magazine, “I’m a full-blooded Brazilian, with an entire extended family of Brazilians, but I was born and raised in the U.S. When I go to Brazil, I feel like an American, and in the U.S., I always notice the traits that make me Brazilian.”
5. And she’s got a booty to prove it.@camimendes / Instagram
Mendes literally just posted a tragedy every single one of us has experienced. The ripped jeans. Caption: “abandon hope all ye brazilian booties who enter these jeans ? #rip” #BootiesFTW
6. Mendes was born in Charlottesville, Virginia.@camimendes / Instagram
When she was 10, she lived in Brazil for a year, but spent most of her childhood in Miami. She still misses Virginia though!
Caption: “Virginia on my mind ? me and the big sis”
7. But she moved around a lot, including living in Parkland, Florida.@CamilaMendes / Twitter
Like A LOT. Like 14 times a lot, which has made a big impact on her.
8. She has one tattoo: “To Build a Home”@camimendes / Instagram
After all the moves, she learned a huge life lesson. She told Latina Magazine, “All you can control is who you are and as long as you stay true to that, then you’re home. I created this idea in my head that no matter where I go I’m home because I am — my body is my home. I got a tattoo below my right breast that says, “To build a home,” because that’s my goal in life — to build a home within myself.”
9. Oh, and she spoke tf up when Cosmopolitan Philippines photoshopped her cover spread.@lilireinhart / Instagram
Both Lili Reinhart and Mendes posted in a social media fury about this. Mendes told Revelist, “that they would then manipulate our bodies when we are literally preaching body positivity is so personally insulting, and it’s also insulting to the readers. You’re spreading a false message about what people look like, you know?” YAAAS!
10. Mendes is dedicated to breaking the stigma around eating disorders.@camimendes / Instagram
She shared with her fans, “I can say from experience that eating disorders are serious mental illnesses. Growing up, I watched my big sister suffer from one for many years, and I’ve experienced periods of my life when I’ve suffered symptoms as well.”
11. Mendes wants you to follow @thechainnyc for more #bopo.@camimendes / Instagram
Caption: “Christina recently co-founded The Chain, a nonprofit organization that offers peer support for women in fashion & entertainment who struggle with eating disorders. I’ve been following @thechainnyc – and having that constant reminder to love my body (especially on instagram where my feed is full of perfect pictures and “perfect bodies,” and especially being in front of a camera every day playing Veronica, who adores her tight mini skirts) is just enough to clear my head of all the negative voices that creep in every once in a while. Our minds can get so contaminated with endless images of perfection, and even if you don’t suffer from an eating disorder, it can’t hurt to incorporate a little body positivity into your routine. Take care of yourself in every way that you can??♀️”
12. She loves pizza.@camimendes / Instagram
This is Mendes doing a photoshoot while eating a slice of pizza. Because a girl’s gotta eat!
13. She will not party without pizza.@camimendes / Instagram
Plus her on-screen boyfriend, and off screen friend, KJ Apa and “Reggie” actor, Charles Melton.
Caption: “Domino’s Resort 2017 Collection”
14. No, but pizza is really what fuels her genius and guapisima.@camimendes / Instagram
Caption: “Pizza: “Because you’re worth it” ?” #Verdad
15. She loves a well tossed salad.@CamilaMendes / Twitter
And her fans couldn’t let her live it down. No worries, Urban Dictionary told her whats up.
16. Her and Cole Sprouse have a strange, beautiful friendship.@camimendes / Instagram
They both went to Tisch together, and Mendes tells Seventeen, “I remember meeting him on certain occasions and he doesn’t. I’m always like, ‘Fine! Whatever! Sorry I’m not a child star!'”
17. Like this one time she shut Sprouse down.@CamilaMendes / Twitter
We’re all your fans, Mendes, even child stars like Sprouse. You’re royalty.
18. But Sprouse went for it anyway. LOL@CamilaMendes / Twitter
“You really captured my soul” jajajaja Mendes is seriously just as fierce and aloof as Veronica Lodge IRL.
19. She loves their friendship though.@CamilaMendes / Twitter
Umm… I think standom is taking over because I’m strangely here for all of this raro af #Colina mash up.
20. She is proud to break Latinx stereotypes.@CamilaMendes / Twitter
She told People Magazine, “It’s just so refreshing to see a different story being told for Latin families. The Lodge family is a much-needed departure from the underprivileged, sleazy Latino drug-dealers we’re used to seeing in entertainment. It’s rare that you see Latin families being portrayed as intelligent, sophisticated, and powerful entities.”
21. She also marched in The Women’s March of 2017 with Madelaine Petsch.@CamilaMendes / Twitter
We’re not sure why she was in Vancouver, but we’re sure as hell screaming for more feminist af Mendes.
22. She’s only 23 years old!@camimendes / Instagram
Remember when you were 23? And not an insta-star? In an interview, Mendes said she’s definitely learned to value more alone time so she can stay true to herself in this ever-changing industry.
Caption: “being my best self”
23. She had to dye her hair darker to play Veronica.@camimendes / Instagram
While her costar, Reinhart had to go a little lighter. Together, they are “B & V” and they’re #girlpower friendship carries the show.
24. We’re so glad she did, because “Riverdale” is fulfilling all our childhood dreams.@camimendes / Instagram
Me and my cousin would collect hundreds of Archie Comics, which are hella dated with your 1950’s style doses of sexism, racism and classism. This new show is dark, real, and llena de drama.
25. Plus, Camila Mendes won The Teen Choice Award’s “Teen Choice Scene Stealer” Award just last year!@camimendes / Instagram
Congratulations, Camila Mendes! Que ganes todo en su vida! Also, I love you.
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at email@example.com