Salma Hayek Penelope Cruz’s Friendship Show What Strong Female Friendships Are Made Of
Hollywood’s two leading Spanish language ladies, Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz, have long garnered attention for their friendship and love for each other.
Here are the fun facts behind their relationship.
1. The phrase “ride-or-die” should basically be an ode to them.@salmahayek / Instagram
During filming for their project “Bandidas” the pair took a flight together that almost had a tragic ending. In an interview, Cruz once said, “a thought came across my mind that if I were to die at that moment at least I’d die with my best friend.”
2. They’re always down for a good prank.“Punk’d” / MTV
In a 2005 episode of “Punk’d,” Penelope Cruz played a hilarious joke on Salma Hayek.
3. They have nicknames for each other.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
“She’s one of my best friends. We call each other huevos [eggs]. It was because when we were working together, we didn’t have children yet, so we used to sleep much more than now. So it was a way to call each other lazy,” Cruz said in an interview.
4. Sometimes people think they’re dating and they’re about it.@penolopecruzoficial / Instagram
In an interview with David Letterman, Cruz felt compelled to explain why she’d been caught grabbing Hayek’s bottom in a photo. “We are like sisters and we have some sense of humor. We did that in front of 100 photographers. And the story now is that we are lovers”
5. They trust each other more than you would your own hermana.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
When was the last time you let your sister take a pair of scissors to your hair? For Hayek and Cruz it’s been fairly recent. “When I was nine years old I used to spend a couple of hours a day washing and cutting hair at my parents’ salon and still, today, I’ll do everyone who lets me – like Salma Hayek, who is one of my best friends,” she says. “I’ve done her hair when the power went out in her house, with just a candle. That one really trusts me,” Cruz said.
6. They support each other like no other.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
“It is great to see somebody who you think deserves it get everything she has ever dreamed of. It’s magical. It gives you hope,” Hayek told Vogue in an interview that highlighted Cruz’s success.
7. They’re each other’s heroes.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
In an interview about her favorite Hollywood Heroines, Hayek hit a number of names but was quick to also point out her love for Cruz. “But then Penélope [Cruz] has always been my hero and my friend. We’ve known each other for at least 20 years.”
8. They adore each other’s worst qualities.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
“Other things that in other people would be neurotic or whatever, would be unbearable — on her they’re very graceful,” Hayek said in an interview where she detailed Cruz habits of playing with her food and ruining the plots of TV shows. “She has this bad habit because she tells you the ending of every episode.”
9. They’re all about each other’s dreams.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
“It is great to see somebody who you think deserves it get everything she has ever dreamed of,” Hayek told Vogue in an interview. “It’s magical. It gives you hope.”
10. They’re all about that goddess worship.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
“Penélope is a motherly creature, a warrior by nature,” Hayek said in a Vogue interview.
11. They’re friendship spans decades.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
The two actresses have been friends for over 20 years.
12. They’ve got strong selfie game.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
In a recent photo on Instagram Hayek posted a caption that read “Good #friends are forever. Los buenos #amigos son para siempre.”
13. They just get each other.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
“The best thing about Penélope’s sense of humor is that it’s primarily about herself,” Hayek said.
14. They have a strict honesty only policy that wouldn’t work for most relationships.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
“We really respect each other, but if one asks a question to the other one, we know we’re going to hear the truth. And I think that’s why we are close friends and closer every day because there’s no B.S. in our relationship,” Cruz said of Hayek.
15. They get each other’s sense of humor.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
“The best thing about Penélope’s sense of humor is that it’s primarily about herself,” said Hayek about Cruz.
16. When they get together they live life on the dangerous side.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
News reports revealed that the two pals slept at a drug trafficker’s house for several days during the 2006 shoot of Bandidas.
17. They’re not afraid to get real with each other.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
After Hayek revealed that Harvey Weinstein had abused her during the making of Frida in 2002, she admitted that her dear friend wasn’t so happy wither. “Penélope was really angry at me, because I didn’t tell her what was going on while it was happening,” she said. “But, you know, I didn’t realize Harvey was doing it to other people, too, so I thought, ‘Why dump your stuff on someone and take away from their professional relationship with him?’ At that time Harvey was doing the best movies.”
18. They’ve supported each other financially.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
“Thank you my soul sister for your love of my country Mexico and your generous donation to UNICEF,” Hayek wrote after Cruz donated money to Mexico’s earthquake relief.
19. Promoting each other’s success is just so natural for them.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
Fans of the duo will notice that it’s rare for one to be without the other for their film debuts.
20. The Academy Awards thinks they’re the same person.Summer Anne Burton / BuzzFeed / Via Instagram
After the 2014 Oscars, the award show captioned a photo of Cruz with Robert De Niro as Hayek instead.
21. They top the list of most Celebrity BFF goal lists“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
Do a quick Google of the actresses names and you’ll likely find the top slots filled with listicles about the pair.
22. Cruz does Hayek’s makeup.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
“I like my career, but I love getting people ready for something because it’s a part of me. I can cut anyone’s hair no problem. I can do a blow-dry, I can put in rollers, I can wax somebody’s legs. I could have another job. The power had gone at Salma’s house and her make-up artist couldn’t come, so she called me and said, ‘You have to get me ready for this premiere’, and I lit some candles and did her hair and make-up too. No one noticed that it wasn’t done by a professional, so I was very proud of that,” Cruz said in an interview.
23. They love to wish each other happy birthday!@salmahayek / Instagram
In a post to her Instagram account, Hayek wished her bestie happy birthday with the words “You continue to #inspire me and I #feel #blessed that we are #friends.”
24. They’re 8 years apart.“Bandidas” / 20th Century Fox
Hayek who was born in 1966 is 8 years older than Cruz who was born in 1974.
Recommend this story by clicking the share button below!
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at email@example.com