22 Keto Recipes To Try Out If Quarantine Has You Stumped In The Kitchen
Updated May 18, 2020.
So you’re trying out a ketosis diet? Welcome to your Latinx elevated palette salvation. Given that everyone and their mother (including mine) are swearing by this diet, we asked for their favorite recipes. You can stop scrolling through searching keto recipes for the versions of pandemono, arroz con pollo y tortilla española.
We’ve got you.
1. Chorizo Cauliflower
Basic rules of keto are:
- High protein
- High fat
- Low carbs
So, instead of using regular arroz, try pan-frying cauliflower rice instead. Sure, you can buy this at almost any grocery store these days, but you can also just blend a head of cauliflower for ~8 seconds and it’s cheaper. 😉
2. Instant Pot Chicken Paella
The fam swears by cauliflower rice, what can I say? Here’s the instant pot way to make this, broken down into different waves. Just cook each wave until tender and add the next in:
- 1 sweet onion
- 3 slices bacon (sugar free, nightshade free)
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 stalk rhubarb (about a cup diced)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp (scant) celery salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried herb blend (compliant Italian seasoning: oregano, thyme, rosemary)
- 1 tsp turmeric
Now just cook 2 bags frozen cauliflower rice on low for 3 minutes and TADA!
Adapted from The Castaway Kitchen
3. Fathead Nachos
You’re making these nachos yourself:
- Mix 3/4 cup of shredded/grated cheese and 1/3 cup almond flour/meal in a microwaveable bowl. Add 2 tbsp cream cheese. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Stir then microwave on high for another 30 seconds. Remove and stir again. Add an egg, salt, and 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander and pinch of chili powder. Mix.
- Place the pastry between 2 pieces of baking parchment/paper and roll into a thin, rectangle. Remove the top baking paper/parchment.
- Slide the baking paper/parchment with the Fat Head pastry, on a baking tray (cookie tray) or pizza stone, and bake at 425F for 12-15 minutes, or until browned on the top. Flip the pastry over (onto baking paper/parchment) and brown the other side.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and cut into tortilla chip triangle shapes. Bake again at 425F for 3 – 5 minutes.
While cooking, make some meat sauce using ground beef, a can of diced tomatos, chili powder and tomato paste. You got this.
Adapted from Ditch the Carbs.
4. Low Carb Tacos with Cheese Taco Shells
This is the best hack of all time.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat place 1/4 cup piles of shredded cheese 2 inches apart (in a circle shape). Press the cheese down lightly so it makes one layer.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until the edges of the cheese are brown.
- Let the cheese cool for 2-3 minutes then lift it up and place it over the handle of a spoon or other utensil that is balanced on two cups to make a rigid upright taco shell shape.
- Let cheese cool completely then remove.
- While you continue to bake your cheese taco shells place the ground beef and ground chorizo in a skillet over medium high heat cooking until it is completely cooked through.
- Drain the grease from the meat and then add a can of RO*TEL , cumin, and chili powder.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then salt to taste.
- Add meat to taco shells and top with your favorite taco toppings.
Adapted from HomemadeInterest.com
5. Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowl
Meet nature’s spaghetti if you haven’t already. The fam swears by this one.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a cookie sheet with foil OR fill a 9 x 13” glass baking dish with about an inch of water.
- Wash the spaghetti squash and then slice off the stem at the top. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and then use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and the darker yellow strands that the seeds are attached to.
- Rub a little bit of high heat oil on the inner edges of the squash and then place each half face down on the baking sheet/dish. Roast in the oven for 30-45 minutes. You can test to see if it’s done by scraping the inside with a fork. Strands should come loose as you scrape all the way down to the flesh.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the filling by warming one tablespoon oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté a sliced red onion for a few minutes and then add a chopped red pepper and 2 chopped jalepeños. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and cumin and cook to desired softness (6-7 minutes)
- When the squash is done cooking, allow it to cool for a few minutes before handling. Turn the oven to broil and then transfer the squash to a surface where you can scrape the inside and begin stuffing.
- Scrape about 3/4 of the inside out onto a dish and then layer the filling inside (1/2 can black beans, 1 cup corn, peppers and onion, salsa and cilantro). Top with the spaghetti squash and press down then add another layer of filling. Sprinkle green onion on top and then finish with shredded cheese.
- Broil in the oven for about 5 minutes so that the cheese is bubble and golden brown then serve!
Adapted from Making Thyme for Health.
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at email@example.com