things that matter

A Family Hugged Goodbye As The Father Was Deported To Mexico After 30 Years In The U.S.

The Garcia Family says goodbye

The long fight to keep the Garcia family together ended early this morning at Detroit Metro Airport. Jorge kissed his wife and children goodbye before boarding a plane to Mexico. Although he was brought to Michigan when he was just 10, Jorge was 2 years too old to take advantage of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program that protects many other undocumented immigrants in his position. Rather than wait to see what reforms are made, Immigration officials came into work on a national holiday to take Jorge away from his family.

Cindy, his wife, has sworn to keep fighting to reunite the family as soon as possible.

Posted by Michigan United on Monday, January 15, 2018

While Trump praised Civil Rights icon Martin Luther King Jr, a father has been deported back to Mexico.

Jorge Garcia, 39, has been in the U.S. since he was 10 years old. At the time, his parents had already immigrated to the U.S. and he was brought by his undocumented aunt, according to Detroit Free Press. Despite being brought to the U.S. as a child, Jorge is two years too old to benefit from the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. On MLK Day, Jorge was deported back to Mexico, leaving behind his wife Cindy and his two children. The video above shows the heartbreaking goodbye as Jorge embraces his family before being placed on an airplane bound for Mexico.

Jorge was first faced with deportation orders in 2005 when an attorney misfiled paperwork adjusting his status after marrying Cindy. Jorge has been checking in with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) regularly since that year and the family has spent $125,000 on legal fees to adjust Jorge’s status. The family and activists working on the case blame the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown for the deportation.

“It’s a nightmare, coming to life,” Cindy told Detroit Free Press. “You have no choice but to face it head-on, and accept what is being thrown at you. Because there is nothing else that you can do.”

Jorge has been barred from entering the U.S. for ten years, but Cindy and immigration activists with Michigan United are fighting to get him back sooner.

(H/T: Detroit Free Press)


READ: Seven DREAMers Are At Risk For Deportation After Being Arrested And Are Refusing To Hand Over Their Names And Fingerprints

Share this story with all of your friends by tapping that little share button below!

13 People Have Accused Peruvian Photographer Mario Testino of Sexual Assault

things that matter

13 People Have Accused Peruvian Photographer Mario Testino of Sexual Assault

Instagram/@mariotestino

In a new investigative piece by The New York Times, 13 male assistants and models have accused Peruvian photographer Mario Testino of sexual assault.

In response to the accusations, which include sexual advances such as groping and masturbation, legal representatives of the famed photographer told The New York Times that the accusers are not credible. They also added that former employees were “shocked by the allegations.”

One of the models that spoke out about working with Testino said nudity is a must on his shoots.

“If you wanted to work with Mario, you needed to do a nude shoot at the Chateau Marmont,” said model Jason Fedele, who spoke to The Times. “All the agents knew that this was the thing to excel or advance your career.”

Testino has worked for Vogue and other high-profile magazines for decades. One of his most recent shoots was with Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez.

In response to the sexual abuse allegations, which include accusations against another Vogue photographer, Bruce Weber, Vogue’s Editor-in-Chief and Condé Nast Artistic Director Anna Wintour said that all publications housed under Condé Nast will no longer work with either photographer for the time being.

“I believe strongly in the value of remorse and forgiveness, but I take the allegations very seriously, and we at Condé Nast have decided to put our working relationship with both photographers on hold for the foreseeable future,” Wintour said in a statement.

They also released a new Code of Conduct for anyone working with or for Condé Nast.

READ: In The Name of #MeToo, Women Talk About Their Sexual Assaults

Do you believe these accusations? Let us know by sharing this story and commenting below!

Paid Promoted Stories