On Friday, the White House announced that President Trump will make his announcement on whether to or not to end DACA on Tuesday.
There has been a lot of concern about the fate of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), an executive order signed by President Obama in 2012. The program provides work permits to hundreds of thousands of young people who were brought to the country as undocumented minors and shields them from deportation.
The reason for DACA’s uncertain fate comes as the result of a lawsuit brought forth by 25 states against Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA), which provided deportation relief to undocumented parents of American citizens or permanent legal residents. President Trump rescinded DAPA, another Obama executive order that was tied up in court.
After DAPA was rescinded, 10 states, led by Texas, told Trump that he needed to rescind DACA on his own accord by Sept. 5 (Tuesday) or the lawsuit would be tailored to take on DACA. Former Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, John Kelly, alerted Congress to the ultimatum and warned that DACA would not survive a constitutional challenge.
Fox News reported earlier this week that a senior official in the White House said Trump will be ending DACA as it exists and that the decision could come as early as Sept. 1. However, White HOuse Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed in a press briefing today that the decision by the president would be coming on Tuesday, the deadline given by the states threatening a lawsuit.
“The president’s priorities on immigration are to create a system that encourages legal immigration and benefits our economy and American workers,” Sanders said in the press briefing. “The president has been very clear. He loves people and he wants to make sure that this decision’s done correctly.”