The 2020 Census Drama Continues As Trump Takes To Twitter To Call Reports From His Own Administration #FakeNews
The drama over the 2020 Census continues.
First was a Supreme Court decision that found the Trump administration wasn’t being totally honest about it’s reasoning for including the citizenship question on the 2020 Census – so the court effectively removed the question from the census.
Then, Trump tried to delay the constitutionally mandated census to give his administration more time to come up with a better reason to tell the courts.
This didn’t work so now officials have admitted defeat and sent the 2020 Census forms to print.
But leave it to President Trump to throw a wrench in their plans.
Yesterday it was reported that the government was moving forward on the 2020 Census without including the citizenship question.
The Trump administration has decided to print the 2020 census forms without a citizenship question, and the printer has been told to start the printing process, Justice Department spokesperson Kelly Laco confirms to NPR.
The move comes shortly after the Supreme Court ruled to keep the question off census forms for now and just a day after printing was scheduled to begin for 1.5 billion paper forms, letters, and other mailings.
In recent days, President Trump had said he wanted to delay the constitutionally mandated headcount to give the Supreme Court a chance to issue a more “decisive” ruling on whether the administration could add the question, “Is this person a citizen of the United States?” A majority of the justices found that the administration’s use of the Voting Rights Act to justify the question “seems to have been contrived.”
But according to Trump, all of that info from his own administration is fake news.
President Trump on Wednesday morning tweeted that his own Commerce Secretary’s statement, suggesting there would not be pushback on the Supreme Court’s decision to leave a citizenship question out of the census, was “FAKE.”
Here’s his own Tweet about the #fakenews:
The saga to include a citizenship question on the 2020 census and the emerging divisions within the Trump administration to its implementation follow a months-long court battle that ultimately ended up with a narrow Supreme Court victory for opponents of the question.
Though many on Twitter were already fact-checking the President using statements from his own administration.
I mean if they’ve already started printing the forms, according to numerous administration officials, what could the President be talking about?
Many speculate he’s just trying to position himself as a fighter among his supporters so they think he’s doing all he can to get the citizenship question on the 2020 Census.
All this confusion comes on the heels of a Supreme Court decision that ruled the Trump administration wasn’t being forthcoming about its real reason for wanting to ask the citizenship question.
The Supreme Court on Thursday left the citizenship question — “Is this person a citizen of the United States?” — blocked from the 2020 census for now, in part because of the government’s explanation for why it added it in the first place.
However, opponents of the question, who have worked for more than a year to get it removed, are claiming victory.
The majority opinion, written by Chief Justice John Roberts, said the court “cannot ignore the disconnect between the decision made and the explanation given” by the Trump administration.
And all of this drama comes amid mounting concerns about the integrity of next year’s census.
In the run-up to the 2020 census, the government has embraced technology as never before, hoping to halt the ballooning cost of the decennial headcount. For the first time, households will have the option of responding online, and field workers going door to door will be equipped with smartphones to log the information they collect.
What the bureau didn’t realize — until an audit last year — was that there was an unsecured door to sensitive data left open.
The government has ambitious plans to use new digital methods to collect data. But the Census Bureau has had to scale back testing of that technology because of inadequate funding — raising the risk of problems ranging from software glitches to cyber attacks.
Also, apparently if the citizenship question isn’t included on the 2020 Census, many of Trump’s supporters plan to boycott it.
Not only would this be illegal (if you receive a census form you’re obligated by law to complete it) but it could result in Trump supporters being undercounted.
Now the irony in that is just too much.
Because, according to documents uncovered from a now-deceased Republican operative, causing an undercount of minority communities in Democratic states was the entire goal of the citizenship question to begin with.
READ: Trump’s Citizenship Question Was Blocked By The Supreme So Of Course He Now Wants To Delay The Census
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org