Things That Matter

A Florida Politician Verbally Assaulted A Group Of Latinos But They Recorded The Incident

Late last month, a teenage Puerto Rican tennis player was accosted by local politician Martin Hyde at a tennis club in Sarasota, Florida. The tennis player captured the incident on video, which was later posted to social media by Puerto Rican attorney Alvin Couto de Jesus, who had originally gotten the video from the athlete’s uncle, Javier Irizarry.

In the video, Hyde is seated, speaking tersely with the athlete and his peers, before following them as they begin to leave the premises.

According to Irizarry, his 15-year-old nephew was invited to play in the Casely International Tennis Championship, which was hosted last week by Bath & Racquet Club at the Celsius Tennis Academy in Sarasota, Florida. The athlete was practicing for the tournament when, allegedly, Hyde approached him and his friends in an aggressive manner, instructing them to “cut grass” and “get out.” The video’s audio begins with Hyde telling one of the players to “keep [your] mouth shut.” The tennis player and his peers rebuke Hyde’s confrontation, calling him out for making racist comments and demanding that they leave.

“You’re telling me to cut grass because I’m Hispanic,” says one of the players. “That’s racism, man. How can you say something like that?”

The players continue to draw attention to Hyde’s racist comments before turning to leave the scene. Hyde gets up from his seat and follows them, crying, “Out! Out!” all the while.

Before leaving the Tennis Academy, the teens report the incident to Academy staff. Meanwhile, Hyde interrupts and tries to invalidate their story, accusing them of being disruptive and intoxicated.

“I don’t know what drugs they’re on,” he says, insisting that he is a “member of the club” and that he wants the teenagers to leave. The athletes repeat his comment about “cutting grass,” and while some of Hyde’s speech is muffled, his response to the teen is clear as day: “Yes,” he says. “So what?” When a staff member engages in an attempt to solve the conflict, Hyde encourages her to “throw them out,” eventually telling the teens to “shut up” before abruptly walking away.

Latino Rebels reported the story and shared the video on Friday. It has since circulated widely on social media, and as a result, Sarasota’s Bath & Racquet Club has banned Hyde from its premises.

“We have kids from all over the world, Central America, Latin America, who play here and compete to get scholarships for college,” Cary Cohenour, the director of Celsius Tennis Academy, which leases courts to the club, told NBC News. “The whole incident was out of control and though Celsius wasn’t involved, we want people to know that we denounce racism here.”

An active candidate for the District 2 Sarasota City Commission, Hyde planned to quit the race after news of the incident spread. However, he’s since announced that he may continue running. And in spite of the video evidence, Hyde adamantly denies making racist comments to the Puerto Rican tennis players, though he does admit that he acted inappropriately.

“I was rude and I regret that. It was a long day and my kids were being disturbed while they were having their lesson, because the boys were being loud,” Hyde said. “But I simply didn’t say those things, and that’s why they’re not in the video.”

Hyde also denies allegations—made by Twitter user @sergiodilan101, who Latino Rebels have identified as Irizarry’s nephew—that Hyde offered him $50,000 in exchange for the video.

In this Twitter thread, @sergiodilan101 recounts the story in great detail, expressing that before this incident, he and his compañero had never felt so “upset, frustrated, uncomfortable, and sad.” He encourages all Latinos to stand together and support each other in situations like this, and he has received an abundant outpouring of support and affirmation, both from people online, political figures, and family.

“We had a long talk about reality and I explained to him that this guy represents a really small minority and that his behavior wasn’t normal,” Irizarry told NBC News. “I hope by sharing the video we can prevent something like this from happening again.”

Additionally,  Peter Vivaldi, a former Republican candidate for the Florida state Senate—who is also of Puerto Rican descent—responded to the video by saying that “if you’re a public figure . . . you run for everybody, you represent everybody.”

He added, “This is not what we want to represent any party and less do we want that in the state of Florida, where we’re talking about Puerto Ricans that are American citizens. We need to make sure if you’re Republican or Democrat, if you’re saying things that are not appropriate, we need to call you out.”

Kevin Hart Backs Ellen DeGeneres Despite The Fact That Fans Canceled His Opinion A Long Time Ago

Entertainment

Kevin Hart Backs Ellen DeGeneres Despite The Fact That Fans Canceled His Opinion A Long Time Ago

Christopher Polk / Getty

In 2019, comedian and actor Kevin Hart received a torrential downpour of heat from fans after a series of homophobic tweets and jokes he’d made in the past had been recovered and publicized. As a result, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences ousted him from his position as host of the Oscars that year and fans demanded that he issue a mea culpa. After a day, Hart tweeted an apology to the LGBTQ community but later announced that he was reconsidering stepping down as host after comedian Ellen DeGeneres expressed support for Hart to do so. At the time, DeGeneres defended Hart and called the Academy to rally for Hart to be able to host again.

Around that time, DeGeneres also hosted Hart on her show and urged him to ignore the backlash he’d received. At the time, DeGeneres dismissed his critics as “haters.”

Now it seems that Hart feels that it’s his turn to defend DeGeneres.

In the wake of allegations and criticism about the show’s toxic workplace culture as well as DeGeneres’s role in facilitating it, Hart took to Instagram on Tuesday to say that he will love the comedian “for life.”

“It’s crazy to see my friend go thru what she’s going thru publicly,” the actor wrote in a post featuring the two stars smiling together on her show. “I have known Ellen for years and I can honestly say that she’s one of the dopest people on the f—— planet. She has treated my family and team with love and respect from day 1.”

“The internet has become a crazy world of negativity… we are falling in love with people’s downfall. It’s honestly sad..” Hart continued. “When did we get here? I stand by the ones I know and that I love. Looking forward to future where we are back to loving one another… this hate s*** has to stop. Hopefully, it goes out of style soon…”

Hart finished his post writing that he does not mean “to disregard the feelings of others and their experiences.”

Hart continued writing that the point of his message is “simply to show what my experiences have been with my friend. Love you for life Ellen.”

Last week, DeGeneres addressed allegations about her show and apologized. “My name is on the show and everything we do and I take responsibility for that,” she explained. “Alongside Warner Bros, we immediately began an internal investigation and we are taking steps, together, to correct the issues. As we’ve grown exponentially, I’ve not been able to stay on top of everything and relied on others to do their jobs as they knew I’d want them done. Clearly some didn’t. That will now change and I’m committed to ensuring this does not happen again.”

Someone Leaked A Massive Bachelorette Spoiler About A New Black Lead And We Are Here To Taste That Té

Entertainment

Someone Leaked A Massive Bachelorette Spoiler About A New Black Lead And We Are Here To Taste That Té

David Becker / Getty

Each year fans of “The Bachelorette” series wait in anticipation for the upcoming season which its host Chris Harrison always promises will be “unlike any other.” If you’re a fan, you know that this declaration rarely ever lives up to the hype. After all, year after year, Harrison makes the same promise but few seasons fail to live up to the dramatically cut trailers of the show or Harrison’s promises.

This year, however, a newly confirmed rumor suggests that when it comes to the series’ 16th season it might just be true.

According to reports the season’s original Bachelorette, Clare Crawley, has been replaced with Tayshia Adams.

In July, a viral Reddit thread posted by a Bachelor spoiler account leaked a story that we all thought was too good to be true: that this year’s lead Clare Crawley had been replaced by Tayshia Adams. On Monday, the Bachelor Nation confirmed the spoiler and revealed that Adams had replaced Clare Crawley as the Bachelorette. Crawley, a hairstylist will “still be a part of” the show’s upcoming season but her role will come to a quick end because she fell in love with one of the contestants.

According to ET, Crawley left the show on good terms with producers, but as filming is still underway it is unsure as to how Tayshia’s entrance into the series will play out. “Filming did not stop, but Tayshia got a fresh start as the Bachelorette,” ET reports. It has not been confirmed by ABC if new men have been brought into pursue Adams or if she will be left with Crawley’s original bunch.

Adams, who was one of the final two women in Colton Underwood’s season of “The Bachelor,” also starred in “Bachelor in Paradise” for season 6.

Season 16 of “The Bachelorette” started filming again in July after production was put on pause in March because of COVID-19 concerns. According to Refinery 29, “ABC announced that the film and crew would follow strict coronavirus safety protocols while filming in one location — the giant La Quinta Resort & Club in La Quinta, California — and then revealed the final list of 42 suitors who would compete for Crawley’s heart.”

It didn’t take long for Bachelor fans and alums to react excitedly with the new season’s epic plot twist.

“Holy freaking plot twist of Tayshia becoming the new Bachelorette and Clare apparently found love. I cannot confirm or deny… but I have thoughts,” Kaitlyn Bristowe, the eleventh season’s Bachelorette said in her Instagram Story. “I love both of these women. I was really excited to watch Clare’s journey. But like, that’s part of the contract. That’s one of the hardest things about going through the show, is you have to take each relationship to the necessary place to really know who your guy is at the end, and I’m just so confused.”

“Obviously, I just hope she’s happy. Now, enter Tayshia. Great, I wanted her to be the Bachelorette a while ago. I’m super pumped on this… but I’m still, what is happening? The Bachelor franchise is genius, and we’re all talking about it!” Bristowe exclaimed.

Colton Underwood, who pursued Adams on his season of “The Bachelor” also tweeted about the news writing “Congrats @TayshiaAdams — good luck and I hope you find yourself a better kisser.”

Fortunately, fans of Crawley and Adams were on the same page about the news and were beyond elated.

No doubt, Adams’ new role is the best news to come out of 2020!