Things That Matter

Former Mexican Police Turned Cartel Boss Arrested In Mormon Family Massacre Case

Update November 25, 2020

After a year of little movement, the case of what happened to the LeBaron/Langford family is getting closer to justice. Another arrest has been made in connection to the attack that killed nine women and children.

A former police officer turned cartel boss Mudo has been arrested.

The arrest is another step towards justice for the family who has been waiting for answers. Mudo, who’s real name is Roberto Gonzalez Montes, was arrested in a secret effort by the attorney general’s office. The state did not assist over fear that Mudo had already gotten to the corrupt officials.

There has never been a motive released for the shooting. It is suspected that the family might have been caught in a cross fire while driving in the northern state of Sonora. Some have speculated that the LeBaron/Langford family were caught in the drug trade and stepped on someone’s turf.

Survivors of the attack say that there was no crossfire. The one who survived describe the moment as an ambush on the caravan.

Original: Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO) met with a relative of the recovering fundamentalist Mormon family to offer updates in the arrests of suspects who murdered 9 people, all young children and their mothers, in northern Mexico. The LeBaron family moved to Mexico over 50 years ago when the United States placed a federal ban on polygamy. In the foothills of northern Mexico, the family established a commune for other fundamentalist Mormon families to live and continue to have multiple wives. The Langfords have since abandoned their Mexican homes for the United States, supported by a nearly 100-person family caravan that escorted the Langfords down the road that mothers and children were murdered just days prior. 

Last month, Mexico made an arrest that became a source for “fundamental information and evidence,” according to the Mexican’s Attorney General’s Office news release. Over the weekend, several more suspects were arrested and taken into custody.

A relative of the LeBaron’s said that the family is “pleased with advances made in the investigation,” CNN reported.

CREDIT: KENDRA LEE MILLER / FACEBOOK

The day after the Attorney General released news that several more people were arrested, Adrián LeBaron met with AMLO. The family plans to meet with the president again next month but said that “it was dangerous” for him to give any further information, according to CNN. Right now, all the public knows is that several more arrests were made over the weekend, thanks to information given by the initial suspect allegedly involved in the killings.

The weekend marked the third time Mexican authorities announced arrests related to the case, which has become known as La Mora Massacre. The first arrest was made the day after the massacre along the U.S.-Mexico border and was later revealed to have been unrelated to the attacks, though the suspect was allegedly found with two hostages and four assault rifles in a bulletproof vehicle. The second string of arrests gathered enough information to launch this latest string of arrests of an undisclosed number. The most active cartels in the area are La Linea, Los Jaguares and Jalisco Nueva Generación, each with their own long, bloody history.

After the family members were buried, the Langfords left in an “exodus.”

CREDIT: KENDRA LEE MILLER / FACEBOOK

David’s sister, Leah Langford-Stadden, told the Daily News, “They’re scared for their lives. They’re leaving everything behind. It’s an exodus.” As the Langfords packed their things and began the final drive out from their home, a caravan of 100 family members joined them to send them off in solidarity. Many of them may leave as well. “It’s horrible. It’s a paradise lost, for sure. It’s heartbreaking,” Langford-Stadden said of a community shattered.

The Langfords left hundreds of acres of pecan orchards behind after burying Dawna, 43, Trevor Harvey, 11, and Rogan Jay, 3. Their relatives are just beginning a new political fight.

The families are now petitioning Trump to call Mexican cartels a foreign terrorist organization.

CREDIT: KENNY LEBARON / FACEBOOK

“Families of LaMora 9” have launched a Change.org petition that is calling on Trump to designate Mexican cartels as foreign terrorist organizations. The petition lists how “the cartels control the flow of opioids, heroin, methamphetamines, cocaine, ultra-deadly fentanyl, and all other illegal drugs” smuggled into the U.S. and the increasingly high murder rates within Mexico itself. “Their unbridled acts of violence and murder have overrun our borders and created an international crisis. They seek political power in order to create a narco-state in Mexico. Each year, there are approximately 35% more murders committed in Mexico than by all officially designated terrorist groups combined,” the petition says. “We cannot afford to continue the same failed policies used to combat organized crime. They are terrorists, and it’s time to acknowledge it!” 

Trump says he’s already moving forward with designating Mexican cartels as foreign terrorist organizations.

CREDIT: @FLEETERMOUSE / TWITTER

 The FBI largely defines terrorism as violence committed by individuals “to further ideological goals stemming from domestic influences, such as those of a political, religious, social, racial or environmental nature,” and many U.S. officials believe cartels meet those qualifications. If Mexican cartels were named a foreign terrorist organization (FTO), that would also mean that the U.S. would be able to prosecute Americans selling drugs that came from Mexico to much harsher anti-terrorism laws, increasing life sentences in the U.S. The petition currently has 3,000 signatures. President Trump has already told Mexico it needed to declare “war” against the cartels.

READ: Mormon Boy Who Survived Cartel Shooting Reveals His Mom’s Last Words

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Missouri Woman Seen Holding Pelosi Sign Faces First Judge In Series Of Court Dates For Federal Charges

Things That Matter

Missouri Woman Seen Holding Pelosi Sign Faces First Judge In Series Of Court Dates For Federal Charges

homegrownterrorists / Instagram

Update January 21, 2021

A Missouri woman named Emily Hernandez had a court hearing in St. Louis after her involvement in the Capitol riots. Hernandez, 21, is facing several federal charges after participating in the deadly Capitol riot.

Emily Hernandez is facing the music after storming the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

According to KSDK, Hernandez, who is from Sullivan, Missouri, has been released without bond after her first hearing in St. Louis. She has been ordered to stay in the Eastern District of Missouri until her next court date in Washington. Part of the terms of her release is that she is not allowed to travel to Washington other than for her court date.

During the hearing, she was recorded saying, “I’m sorry, I’m nervous.”

Hernandez is facing the following federal charges: knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds, disorderly conduct which impedes the conduct of government business, steal, sell, convey or dispose of anything of value in the United States, disruptive conduct in the Capitol buildings, parading, demonstrating or picketing in the Capitol buildings.

Original: After a group of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol Jan. 6, people immediately started identifying the intruders. Videos have been circulating and people are steadily contacting the FBI to expose them. Instagram page @homegrownterrorists is one of the leading forces in identifying the rioters.

On Jan. 6, people stormed our Capitol building and the American people are demanding justice.

Images of people storming the Capitol building and looting the offices of members of Congress startled people around the world. One of the safest places in the world was overrun by far-right Trump supporters attacking the democratic process. Americans are demanding justice and working together to identify and report as many people to the FBI that were at the Capitol.

The Instagram page is unapologetically encouraging followers to identify people at the Capitol.

Five people died as a result of the riot, two of them were police officers. The Instagram page, run anonymously, is encouraging people to share the photos to their stories to increase the reach. The account might not have any legal power, but it is having some success. There has been more than one person identified through the IG page that has led to people losing jobs and being arrested by the FBI.

The account has disappeared multiple times but always comes back.

The mystery person running the account has expressed concern over their safety. The account has been suspended by Instagram after being reported by multiple people. There has even been some talk about them receiving threats of violence via DMs.

The person who runs the account has mentioned it randomly on their stories but with no real detail. According to recent stories, the person behind the account doesn’t want to antagonize the people sending threats.

The owner of the account did say that they have been contacted by Instagram about the account.

A tweet from HomeGrownTerrorists caught Instagram’s attention and the account was reinstated. However, there was a backup account to keep functioning in case the original got deleted. IG and the account owner reached an agreement where they get to keep the main account and the backup account was permanently banned. No questions asked.

If you want to help or be connected to the cause, you can follow this page on Instagram.

There are a lot of people left to identify and the nation’s law enforcement is bracing for more violence. Capitols in all 50 states are on alert for possible attacks and the National Guard is being mobilized in big numbers for the inauguration. We are not out of the woods when it comes to the threats that have been made.

READ: After Last Week’s Riots, A Black Woman Has Been Appointed to U.S. Capitol Police Chief

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

UPS Delivery Man Is Fired After Video Surfaces of His Anti-Latino Racist Rant

Things That Matter

UPS Delivery Man Is Fired After Video Surfaces of His Anti-Latino Racist Rant

Photo courtesy Forward Latino

An unnamed UPS delivery driver has been fired after being caught using racist language when delivering a package to a Latino household. The incident occurred on December 17th.

The video, which was caught on a doorbell camera’s security footage, shows a white UPS driver appearing to be angry when delivering a package.

“Now you don’t get f—–g nothing…You can’t read and write and speak the f—–g English language,” he says while writing a “failed to deliver” notice and pasting it on the house’s front door.

The Aviles family says that the footage shows that the UPS worker never even attempted to deliver the package in the first place. He never rang the doorbell or knocked on the door. Based on that, the family has come to the conclusion that the driver intentionally withheld the package from the family out of prejudice and spite

They believe that the only way the driver could’ve known that the family was Latino was by making assumptions based off the name on the package.

“The only information this driver had that could serve as a trigger for this deep-seated hate was the name on the package,” said Forward Latino President Darryl Morin at a press conference addressing the incident.

“So what we have here is a very intentional act to ruin Christmas for somebody, for someone to spew this hateful rhetoric, and quite honestly to deceive their employer,” Morin continued.

Per UPS, the employee has now been fired. “There is no place in any community for racism, bigotry or hate. This is very serious and we promptly took action, terminating the driver’s employment. UPS is wholeheartedly committed to diversity, equity and inclusion,” UPS said in a statement. They also said they contacted the family to apologize.

But the Aviles family is still rattled that such bigoted people are out and about, letting their petty prejudices effect other people’s lives.

“The package was a Christmas gift that we eventually received after Christmas Day, but what if it happened to have time-sensitive content like an epipen or a book I needed to take a final,” said Shirley Aviles, the mother of the man who lives at the address, told NBC News. “I don’t get it. It’s just sad.”

Aviles seemed disturbed about what this incident says about human nature. “This is about the things people do when they think no one is watching them. That’s important because that’s when you see people’s true colors and that’s what’s scary,”

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com