Things That Matter

After Video Goes Viral, People Are Wondering About Identity Of Boy And Mother In Heartbreaking Viral Video

A horrific video hit Twitter this past weekend showing a young boy holding on to his mother as law enforcement officers held her down. The tweet, which went viral, was originally published by the account @hiphopsrevival but has now been deleted. There are versions of the video currently uploaded to YouTube. According to the tweet, the video purportedly showed U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents detaining a woman while her young son grabbed on to her. The tweet didn’t provide any details, such as when the incident occurred or the identity of the subjects in the video.

Via: payswagga / YouTube

We reached out to ICE about the video and they told mitú that the men in uniforms are not ICE officials but rather local police officers. The department in question has not been determined. We are awaiting updates from ICE and looking into the matter further.

We also reached out to @hiphopsrevival about why they deleted the video and have not heard back.

Countless people expressed their disgust after watching the video.

Investigative reporter Farrah Fazal, from KSTP-TV Channel 5 Minnesota, gave insightful information about the magnitude of the situation

We don't the circumstances of this detainee. We do know this:ICE arrested more than 41,000 people between Jan. 22 and…

Farrah Fazal 发布于 2017年6月18日


Although the Trump Administration said it would focus on deporting criminals, it appears their definition of “criminal” has expanded to include those who entered the country illegally but otherwise have no record of dangerous criminal activity (entering the U.S. illegally is a misdemeanor). Acting Director Thomas Homan told the House Appropriations Committee’s Homeland Security Subcommittee last week:

“If you’re in this country illegally and you committed a crime by entering this country, you should be uncomfortable,” Homan said. “You should look over your shoulder, and you need to be worried.”

The Huffington Post reports that ICE has requested a $1.2 billion increase in funding for next fiscal year. That expansion would include an increase of 51,000 beds from about 34,000 beds at detention centers. As the definition of “criminal alien” expands, it opens the door to potentially more and more arrests.

“Most of the criminal aliens we find in the interior of the United States, they entered as a non-criminal,” Homan said. “If we wait for them to violate yet another law against a citizen of this country, then it’s too late. We shouldn’t wait for them to become a criminal.”

So while the heartbreaking video of the boy holding on to his mother could be from ten years ago or ten days ago, the pertinent thing to remember is that arrests and detainments of Latinos occur at a rapid rate.

Update: It’s been brought to our attention that the original video was uploaded in early May and took place in New York City. The mother in the video was a food vendor in a public park. Law enforcement officials arrested her for selling food without a license.

READ: A Guy In A Fake ICE Jacket Showed Up To A California Church And Took Pictures Of Churchgoers

Recommend this story to a friend by clicking on the share button below.

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Disturbing Video Shows Workers Feeding White Kids First At A Georgia Daycare

Things That Matter

Disturbing Video Shows Workers Feeding White Kids First At A Georgia Daycare

Schools and daycares are supposed to be safe spaces for kids to be able to learn and to express themselves. However, we know that isn’t always the case. For years, children have had to fear gun violence on campus, bullying, and sexual assaults.

A recent video that’s gone viral shows that even younger kids aren’t safe from trauma, as a daycare in Georgia is being accused of blatant racism against its Black kids.

Young kids are experiencing hate and racism even at places meant to be safe for them.

The Kids ‘R’ Kids daycare center in Roswell, on the outskirts of Atlanta, has been accused of racism after a father checked in to the live feed at lunch time to see how his two-year-old son was doing and noticed that the white children were all fed first while the Black children were made to wait.

Adryan McCauley told CBS46: “They were skipping all of the Black kids it seemed like. All the white kids got their lunch, and all the Black kids had to wait. From the videos and pictures that we saw today, we are just completely disturbed.”

McCauley took a screenshot which he posted to Instagram, but the full video has not been released. He added that the boy’s mother asked the nursery what had happened and was reportedly told by the director: “I’m not really sure because I’m not in the classroom, maybe it’s a dietary thing.”

One of the families was sure to share what happened with the public.

According to the Daily Mail, the family of the 2-year-old posted the screenshot to Instagram, where it went viral.

“This is truly unbelievable. You better know this won’t be the last time you hear from me on this,” user @marquis_dagreat wrote, along with the screenshot. “Why does every white kid have their food? Not one black child has food in front of them! Thank God for cameras in classrooms because there is no way to hide this racism!”

“In the year 2021 this is truly unbelievable. As blacks we always strive to send our kids to schools in Suburban area’s [sic], but I’m telling you first hand that is not always best,” they continued. “This is not a black or white issue this is simply wrong!”

The brand behind the daycare has cut ties with the Georgia location.

The corporate office responded on Thursday by calling the screenshot “disturbing” and cutting ties with the location in question. 

“Our company has decided to terminate that franchisee’s Kids ‘R’ Kids contract and branding, effective immediately, leaving them to operate independently,” President and CEO David Vinson said in the statement, posted to Instagram. “We apologize to the family, the community and all of those impacted by this situation and will use this as a learning tool to remind our Kids ‘R’ Kids staff on the importance of diversity and inclusivity.”

Vinson added that the corporate office will help locate alternate preschool options for families displaced by the decision. 

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Latino Man Whose Wife Died In Atlanta Spa Was Handcuffed, ‘Treated Like A Suspect’

Things That Matter

Latino Man Whose Wife Died In Atlanta Spa Was Handcuffed, ‘Treated Like A Suspect’

As we continue to learn more about the attack on Atlanta’s Asian-American community that left eight dead, we also are learning about Mario González – a survivor of the attack who was treated like a suspect by the Cherokee Sheriff Department.

Despite having lost his wife in the gunfire, police refused to share that news with González as he was handcuffed for hours amid the chaotic scene that was unfolding in the Atlanta suburbs.

A survivor of the Atlanta spa attacks says he was treated like a suspect instead of a victim.

The Latino man and husband who survived the Atlanta spa shootings that killed his wife says cops treated him like a suspect instead of a grieving victim — keeping him handcuffed for hours without telling him his spouse was dead.

“They had me at the police station for all that time until they investigated who was responsible or what had happened,” Mario González said during an interview with the Spanish-language news site Mundo Hispanico. “In the end, they told me my wife had died.

“They knew I was her husband,” Gonzalez said. “Then they told me she was dead when I wanted to know before. I don’t know, maybe because I’m Mexican,” he said. “Because the truth is that they treated me very badly.”

Law enforcement hasn’t responded to the allegations but are already facing severe backlash.

Representatives for the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment on Sunday, but the accusations leveled by Mr. González come after the agency had already faced scrutiny after a spokesman for the Sheriff’s Office described the gunman as having “a really bad day.”

The spokesman, Capt. Jay Baker, was no longer the office’s public representative on the case, and the sheriff, Frank Reynolds, apologized and defended Captain Baker as not intending to disrespect the victims or their families. “We regret any heartache Captain Baker’s words may have caused,” Sheriff Reynolds said.

González and his wife had been on a date night when the massacre took place.

The couple had arrived to Young’s Asian Massage for a fun date night, where they’d both enjoy a relaxing massage. They arrived shortly before the shooting started, Mr. González said in the video interview, and they were ushered into separate rooms for their massages.

Mr. González had met Ms. Yaun at a Waffle House restaurant, where he was a customer and she was a server. Ms. Yaun had been a single mother, raising a 13-year-old son. The couple married last year and had a daughter, who is now 8 months old. “What I need most right now is support,” Mr. González said in the interview.

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com