politics

White House Decides To Celebrate Cinco De Mayo A Day Early And Social Media Isn’t Having It

PBS NEWS HOUR / YOUTUBE / MEME CRUNCH

Yesterday The Hill reported that President Trump would break with tradition by not hosting the White House’s annual Cinco de Mayo celebration. Last year, the event was hosted President Obama, who treated 500 guests to food from celeb chef Johnny Hernandez and the music of Maná. President Trump is instead visiting with Australia’s Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull in New York to honor the Battle of the Coral Sea, a fight that saw Australian and U.S. soldiers fighting Japanese pilots.

Instead of hosting the Cinco de Mayo party, President Trump will be in New York for Cinco de Mayo, where the best taco bowls are made.


“I love Hispanics!”

Fear not! Vice President Mike “Party Animal” Pence will instead host the Cinco de Mayo festivities.

PBS NEWS HOUR / YOUTUBE

Politico reports that the event will take place in the Indian Treaty Room in the Eisenhower Executive Office, which is located next to the West Wing of the White House.

However, the Cinco de Mayo celebration will take place on May 4th, rather than the actual day.

OBLIVION / UNIVERSAL PICTURES

It’s definitely an odd choice to celebrate a holiday on the wrong day. If the White House can do it, I should be able to celebrate Christmas any day I want. But it’s like they say, “It’s always Cinco de Mayo somewhere.”

Social media scratched its head at the announcement of Mike Pence as host on May 4th.


To many, Pence doesn’t seem like the right guy for the job.


Some people joked about whether or not Mike Pence knows what Cinco de Mayo is.


They questioned how terrible the buffet might be.


A few questioned the ethical problems this holiday posed for the administration.


Others were just…


…at a loss for words. If you can’t say something nice.

Politico reports that the event was likely prepared last minute, as multiple attendees said they received their invites earlier this week.

Read: First Cuban-American Elected to Congress Set to Retire After Three Decades of Service

Recommend this story to a friend by clicking on the share button below.

Trump Uses His Reelection Campaign To Call For The Mass Deportation Of Millions Of Migrants To Whip Up His Base Since His Record Won’t Get Him Reelected

Things That Matter

Trump Uses His Reelection Campaign To Call For The Mass Deportation Of Millions Of Migrants To Whip Up His Base Since His Record Won’t Get Him Reelected

mikekrausart / Instagram

President Trump Monday night, less than 24 hours before he officially kicks off his re-election campaign, leaked shocking details of a secret U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement operation that has been in the planning stages for months.

Trump said in a tweet that starting next week, ICE will remove “millions” of immigrants who have entered the United States illegally.

Credit: @ABC / Twitter

In a series of tweets Monday night, President Donald Trump threatened mass deportations of undocumented immigrants and said they could happen as soon as next week.

The posts from Trump signaled that a shelved plan for raids in major cities, an idea challenged by former administration officials, could be back on.

This is the first of Trump’s announcements, and like so much else, he made it on Twitter.

Credit: @realDonaldTrump / Twitter

In a report from the Washington Post, Kirsten Nielsen was forced to resign from her post as DHS Secretary because of her hesitancy to move forward with the plan the president announced on Monday.

Last year, the government had already begun processing deportation orders for thousands of undocumented families, but Nielsen and others were worried about the complications of these orders. So Trump replaced them.

Trump, his top immigration adviser Stephen Miller, and other supporters of the plan, which will largely affect families, reportedly want to send a message to any migrants considering crossing the border. Deterrence was also the driving force behind the administration’s policy of separating children from their parents at the border. The mass arrests the president says will

begin next week could result in the splitting up of thousands of families who have been living in the United States for years, if not decades.

The consequences of such a plan could have devastating effects on tens of thousands of families.

Credit: @JamilSmith / Twitter

The Post paints a grim picture of what the operation could look like: “Should adults be arrested without their children because they are at school, day care, summer camp or a friend’s house, it is possible parents could be deported while their children are left behind.”

In fact, according to some experts family separation is equivalent in trauma to several forms of physical and emotional abuse.

Credit: @JamilSmith / Twitter

The government has claimed the deportations would be carried out with “with compassion and humanity.” But promises to carry out deportations in a compassionate way have never come to fruition, despite similar claims from numerous administrations: There’s no kind way to uproot someone’s life against their will, and no nice method for sending a person back to a dangerous situation. And there’s definitely no nice way of tearing children from their mothers and fathers.

Trump’s announcement seems to not only surprise the public but his own government as well.

Credit: @kylegriffin1 / Twitter

The curious thing about the president’s tweets Monday night is that deportation raids typically aren’t announced ahead of time, as the element of surprise is often crucial. ICE officials were reportedly unaware that Trump planned to tweet about the arrests and the agency was “stunned” that Trump announced the plan on Twitter.

Many pointed out that announcement was made on the eve of Trump’s kick-off of his reelection campaign on Tuesday.

Credit: @brianklaas / Twitter

I mean why else would Trump jump the gun and compromise the deportation plan? Look no further than his tweet Tuesday morning — as well as several others from the past few days — teasing his big rally in Orlando, Florida, Tuesday night, during which he will officially relaunch his re-election campaign. Announcing a big crackdown on undocumented immigrants is a pretty juicy piece of red meat for Trump to throw to his supporters. The president apparently couldn’t resist.

The reactions on Twitter have been swift.

Credit: @soledadobrien / Twitter

To many, the cruelty is shocking but many realize that the cruelty is the point.

Some have called total BS on many of the government’s supposed ‘pro-life’ stances.

Credit: @marcusmescher / Twitter

Like seriously, you can’t call yourself pro-life and then go above and beyond to ruin the lives of thousands of families.

While some on Twitter wanted to point out the shocking levels of hipocrisy coming from the President.

Credit: @MPRODUCTIONJS / Twitter

His own wife would be a target of his new immigration enforcement policies.

Many on Twitter asked “what can we do to help?”

Credit: @ConnieSchultz / Twitter

Many followed up with tips of keeping the pressure on your government representatives on a daily basis. Getting your friends, family, and neighbors to do the same.

And one group that provides legal services to immigrants was quick to remind people of their rights during these scary times.

Credit: @RAICESTEXAS / Twitter

In what’s sure to be a frightening time for undocumented immigrants, RAICES, a Texas nonprofit that provides legal services to immigrants, was quick to remind people of their rights. If ICE raids your workplace, the group noted in a tweet responding to Trump, you don’t have to speak, you do have the right to a lawyer, and you don’t have to sign any documents.

Trump’s Building In Uruguay Is A Bust And It’s Not Even Completed Yet But American Taxpayers Did Pay A Price

Things That Matter

Trump’s Building In Uruguay Is A Bust And It’s Not Even Completed Yet But American Taxpayers Did Pay A Price

trump / erictrump / Instagram

Just because Donald Trump vowed to halt constructions on new projects in the U.S. (you know, conflict of interest since he is the president) — that doesn’t mean the Trump name isn’t extended to other projects overseas. Trump Inc. is still plowing through despite mounting legal issues, and the only one that can oversee the corporation is the youngest Trump (not Barron but Eric) since his elder siblings are either working in the White House or are still in the middle of their own legal issues in regards to the Russia investigation. And, so, the Trump name is still trying to conquer another building in Uruguay even though the project seems futile.

Eric Trump is thrilled to be opening a new Trump building in Uruguay, but it’s not really theirs.

Instagram/@/erictrump

While Eric visited Uruguay in January, more details about the trip are now public.

“It’s incredible,” Eric said, according to The New York Times. “We have the best building anywhere in Punta del Este, anywhere in South America.”

The building does look to be very luxurious. It will reportedly be a “25-story, 156-condominium waterfront tower, complete with an indoor tennis court, multiple swimming pools and a rooftop helipad.” Fancy, right? Here’s the funny thing, it’s not really a Trump building.

Like most Trump real estate, the buildings that boast the Trump name do not belong to them. They are merely paying to put their name on the building. It’s like an advertisement. Trump Inc. does “take a cut of the revenue from selling units,” The New York Times reports.

The building is supposed to open by 2020 but according to people who work on the construction site, there’s no way that will happen because no one is actually doing the work. The hold up has a lot to do with red-tape due to the Trump name and the presidency.

Eric’s trip to Uruguay also cost U.S. tax payers almost $100,000.

Instagram/@erictrump

As the offspring of the president, the Trump kids (even if they’re adults) have the option to have a whole security team and who’d say no to that? Perhaps a civic-minded person who has Americans in their best interest? Not in this case. Eric’s trip cost U.S. taxpayers $97,830 which included travel for his Secret Service and embassy staffers and their hotel rooms.

READ: Eric Trump Put On A Sombrero And Had A Mexican-Themed Birthday Party, And The Internet Is Not Having It

Paid Promoted Stories