Things That Matter

Latino Parents Charged In The Horrifying Abuse And Death Of 12-Year-Old Boy

Two Latino parents in Indiana are being charged with neglect and confinement after restraining and starving a young boy to death in Indiana, People reports.

According to officials, 12-year-old Eduardo Fosso was a victim of childhood abuse, with his father and step-mother taking photos and videos of him in restraints and a fitted dog shock-collar around his neck while in a bathtub.

“[He] lived a very sad life, a lot of times under restraint, and his life gradually diminished after repeated acts of abuse by his father with the … knowledge of his stepmother,” said Monroe County Sheriff Brad Swain during a news conference on Tuesday.

The boy’s father, Luis Fosso, 32, could also face murder charges should a forensic test determine that the child’s death is linked to his mistreatment.

“The initial thoughts are that he starved to death,” he said.

Monroe County coroner Joani Shields added that the child was “severely emaciated,” weighing about 50 to 55 pounds.

Fossi and Dayan Media Flores, 25, who were both investigated by child protective services in Florida, where they used to reside, were passing through Indiana for work. They are contracted employees hired to place ads that promote a traveling circus. The couple was accompanied by three other children, a 9-year-old girl, 5-year-old boy and 2-year-old boy. The youth, who appeared to be in good physical health, were placed with a child protection agency.

On Thursday, the father brought Eduardo to Bloomington Hospital after he stopped breathing. The boy appeared to be getting sick while the family was out together hanging leaflets.

“The stepmom said ‘I think we need to go back to the hotel,’ and at that point they did … and he continued to decline from there,” sheriff’s detective Lt. Jennifer Allen said.

The child was declared dead at 3:05 a.m., only 13 minutes after he arrived at the hospital. Employees told law enforcement that the boy exhibited “signs of extreme abuse.” Investigators soon obtained a search warrant and returned to the family’s motel room, where they found chains, ankle and wrist restraints as well as the dog shock-collar. They also discovered videos and photos on the parents’ cell phones and web-based security system that showed how they abused the child.

The parents denied starving Eduardo, though they both disclosed that the father would physically abuse him.

“I was given the explanation that (Eduardo) was the child that acted up the most,” Allen said. “He was the one that they always had issues with.”

In older videos and photographs found, Eduardo appeared to be somewhat “of a normal, happy little boy,” Allen continued. Still, investigators are currently looking into other towns the family visited for work, including Bedford, Nashville and Kokomo, for additional evidence of mistreatment or charges in other jurisdictions.

A sheriff on the case said it was “horrendous” and “beyond anything I’ve worked” in his 20 years as a child abuse investigator.

The couple is currently being held on a $500,000 bond in the Monroe County Correctional Center.

Read: Family Of Slain Chicago Teen Whose Son Was Ripped From Her Womb Is Raising Funds For Newborn’s Medical Bills — Here’s How You Can Help

Hacker Attempts To Steal $4 Million From Puerto Rican Government In Phishing Scam

Things That Matter

Hacker Attempts To Steal $4 Million From Puerto Rican Government In Phishing Scam

John Piekos / Flickr

Hackers attempted to steal $4 million from the Puerto Rican government using a common phishing scam. The scams referred to as business email compromises, target public and private entities every year on the U.S. mainland. Here’s what we know so far.

A hacker attempted to steal millions of dollars from the Puerto Rican government.

Credit: @DavidBegnaud / Twitter

According to reports, hackers were able to infiltrate various agencies in the Puerto Rican government through phishing emails. The hackers attempted to access $4 million dollars by targeting Puerto Rico’s Industrial Development Company and the Tourism Company.

The Industrial Development Company sent around $2.6 million while the Tourism Company wired over $1.5 million. According to the AP, the agencies received emails from a fraudulent employee claiming there was a change of bank accounts.

Federal officials say they were about to freeze the money to prevent loss to Puerto Rico.

David Begnaud of CBS News took to Twitter to update people on the latest developments. According to Begnaud’s conversation with federal authorities, the hackers had not received the money from Puerto Rico and they were able to freeze it. They are working to send the money back to Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico is not the only victim in a phishing crime. During the same time as the hacking of Puerto Rico, a school district in Manor, Texas lost $2.3 million and another $800,000 were stolen from officials in Griffin, Georgia. More than 23,000 of these scams stole $1.7 billion from businesses and agencies in the U.S. mainland last year. The FBI was able to recover around $300 million.

The news is surprising people on social media.

Credit: @MilagsCon / Twitter

Corruption in Puerto Rico’s government has been a topic of discussion since Hurricane Maria devastated the island. Puerto Rico was recently devastated by a series of earthquakes while still recovering from the 2017 hurricane that devastated the island. Missing relief funds and misplaced supplies have angered Puerto Ricans in recent months as it comes to light.

This latest financial and security shortcoming of Puerto Rico’s government is not helping its reputation.

Credit: @J_Fort47 / Twitter

Puerto Ricans have been showing their displeasure with the elected officials on the island for years. Recently, Puerto Ricans protested and marched until Ricardo Rosselló resigned from his office. The former governor was caught in a group chat scandal in which he made derogatory comments about the LGBTQ+ community and women. There were also allegations of corruption and misuse of funds within his admi9nistration that led to a series of investigations.

READ: The Puerto Rico Department of Justice Is Seeking An Independent Investigation Into Ricardo Rosselló

Mexican Newspaper Slammed After Publishing Graphic Photos Of Woman’s Tragic Death

Things That Matter

Mexican Newspaper Slammed After Publishing Graphic Photos Of Woman’s Tragic Death

SkyNews/ Twitter

In Mexico, the recent brutal mutilation and slaying of a 25-year-old woman are spurning conversations about the country’s efforts to prevent femicide and laws that protect victims from the media.

On Sunday, Mexican authorities revealed that they had discovered the body of Ingrid Escamilla.

According to reports, Escamilla was found lifeless with her body skinned and many of her organs missing. At the scene, a 46-year-old man was also discovered alive. His body was covered in bloodstains and he was arrested.

As of this story wasn’t troubling enough, local tabloids and websites managed to bring more tragedy to the victim and her family by splashing leaked graphic photos and videos of the victim’s body. In a terribly crafted headline, one paper by the name of Pasala printed the photos on its front page with the headline “It was Cupid’s fault.” The headline is a reference to the fact that the man found at the scene was Escamilla’s husband.

According to leaked video footage from the arrest scene, Escamilla’s husband admitted to stabbing his wife after a heated argument in which she threatened to kill him. He then claimed to have skinned her body to eliminate evidence.

Mexic City’s mayor, Claudia Sheinbaum, revealed that prosecutors will demand the maximum sentence against the alleged perpetrator.

“Femicide is an absolutely condemnable crime. It is appalling when hatred reaches extremes like in the case of Ingrid Escamilla,” Sheinbaum wrote in a tweet according to CNN. According to reports, Mexico broke records in 2018 when its homicide record reached over 33,000 people that year.

The publication of Escamilla’s mutilated body has sparked discussions regarding the way in which reports about violence against women are handled.

Women’s rights organizations have lambasted the papers that originally published photos of Escamilla’s body and Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador also expressed criticism of the media’s response to the brutal slaying.

In a press conference on Thursday, President López Obrador expressed his determination to find and punish anyone responsible for the image leaks. “This is a crime, that needs to be punished, whoever it is,” he stated.