Judge Says Immigration Officials Didn’t Follow Protocol With DREAMer Jessica Colotl

Last month, DREAMer Jessica Colotl was told by the Department of Homeland Security that her DACA application had been denied, even though the 29-year-old Georgia resident (originally from Mexico) had been approved to stay under DACA in 2013 and 2015. Despite the Trump Administration’s insistence that ICE wasn’t focusing on DACA recipients, Colotl’s 2010 misdemeanor (she was caught driving without a license by a campus officer at Kennesaw State University) meant that now she was facing deportation after living in the United States for 11 years.

 

On Monday, a federal judge ruled that Colotl could stay in the U.S., but only temporarily, while they review her renewal application, CNN reported.

According to CNN, U.S. District Judge Mark H. Cohen said that Immigration Services officials did not conduct proper protocol when they revoked her “protections under the program last month.”

Jessica is very excited to see justice prevail in this case,” Charles Kuck, one of Colotl’s lawyers, told The New York Times.

Lorella Praeli, director of immigration policy and campaigns at the American Civil Liberties Union, told CNN that this victory could help other DACA recipients who are currently detained by ICE.

“The court’s decision today has huge implications for all Dreamers,” Praeli said to CNN. “The government can’t just break its promises for no reason.”

According to a report by the Department of Homeland Security, between January 20 to March 25, 2017, they have revoked the DACA program for 43 immigrants. The Los Angeles Times report that “an estimated 742,000” DREAMers are protected under DACA.

Immigration services is currently reviewing Colotl’s application.

 

READ: First DACA Recipient To Be Deported Sues Trump Administration

 

Do you believe Jessica has the right to stay in the U.S.? Comment and hit the share button below.