Things That Matter

A Mexican-American Mother Was Beaten Until She Was Unconscious By Her Son’s Racist School Bully

We’re pretty sure this latest incident is our country’s newest low.

According to The New York Post, a 35-year-old New Jersey woman by the name of Beronica Ruiz was beaten until she was unconscious by a 13-year old boy who bullied her son.

According to reports, the day before the beating, Ruiz had filed a former complaint about her son’s tormenter and his alleged harassment of her son.

Her son, whose name is being kept private because he is a minor, claimed that he was bullied by the 13-year-old on June 18. At the time, Ruiz’s son said that the bully and a few other boys had chanted “Mexicans should go back behind the wall” to him other boys in the cafeteria.

In response, the Ruiz family’s lawyer, Daniel Santiago, says that her son replied: “We all come from immigrants.”

When Ruiz’s son received further threats from the students, he became fearful for his safety and reported the incident to a teacher who sequestered him from the other boys.

Attempts to notify Ruiz’s parents about the incident did not happen.

Santiago says that she did not find out about the incident until her son came home and he told her that he was too afraid to go to school the next day.

According to the Washington Post Ruiz and her husband returned to the school that evening and complained to the school’s assistant vice principal that they had not been alerted of the events. Santiago says that the vice principle replied that he had simply forgotten to call them.

“That’s a woefully inadequate response,” Santiago said. “’My bad’ is not a good excuse for not calling (the parents), not telling them.”

Ruiz picked up her son from school the day after the incident in the cafeteria happened.

She walked him home while pushing her 1-year-old daughter in a stroller. When they were just a few blocks away from the school, Ruiz’s son alerted his mother that they were being followed by the boys who had bullied him the previous day in the cafeteria. Soon after, the 13-year-old boy allegedly attacked Ruiz and her son. First, he punched Ruiz’s son in the face and then when the mother attempted to intervene he punched and “threw her to the ground” which caused her to lose consciousness.

This was a brutal hate crime, and it was committed by a 13-year-old,” Santiago said. “I don’t know what circumstances could give rise to a 13-year-old boy having such hate in his heart that he would commit this brutal attack and leave a woman essentially to die in front of her children without any remorse or any twinge of conscience.”

Ruiz was hospitalized for two days after the alleged attack.

Pictures of Ruiz’s face are brutal. In a photo circulating online, Ruiz’s face is marked with bruises and her eye is visible injured. She reportedly suffered from facial fractures and a concussion.

Earlier this week, the Passaic County Prosecutor’s Office announced that the 13-year-old bully, who fled the scene, had been arrested. He has been charged and faces one count of aggravated assault and one count of simple assault.

According to Santiago, the 13-year-old returned to the school the day after the attack.

Meanwhile, Ruiz and her husband are Mexican and in the United States awaiting green cards while holding work permits. Both of their children were born here and are American citizens.

Santiago says that he doesn’t “know that a child is able to fully understand and comprehend the implications of his words and saying things like ‘You should go back to Mexico… But this was clearly generated from hatred, and clearly, this young man has a great deal of anger in his heart, and that’s sad for a whole other list of reasons.”

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Diego Luna’s ‘Pan Y Circo’ Is Tackling Major Issues Around The Dinner Table

Culture

Diego Luna’s ‘Pan Y Circo’ Is Tackling Major Issues Around The Dinner Table

Rich Polk / Getty Images for IMDb

Diego Luna is more than just an actor. Luna is using his name and his fame to create a space for important ideas to be discussed. His new show “Pan Y Circo” on Amazon Prime is tackling the major issues.

Diego Luna’s “Pan y Circo” is an in-your-face show tackling major issues confronting society.

“Pan y Circo” is a new Amazon Prime show created by Mexican actor Diego Luna. The actor has a table of people including politicians, activists, and entertainers. The first episode focuses on race, a topic that is seeing some global attention following recent events. The discussion got frank with Luna admitting that he has benefited from the system as it stood.

The dinner party atmosphere is something that we can relate to further drawing us into the conversation.

For Luna, according to the LA Times, the dinner conversations are a cal back to a tie when these kinds of hard discussions happened over dinner. This was a time when these kinds of conversations were taken for granted because they were so common that it was normal.

The topics are going to be tough for many in the Latino community because they are so frank.

Abortion is one of the most taboo conversations in the Latino community. The topic is something the divides the Latino community, most commonly on generational lines. Luna’s decision to take this conversation to the mainstream is a major moment for the Latino community.

The first episode of “Pan y Circo” is out now on Amazon.

The next episode will be out on Friday, August 14.

READ: Diego Luna Talks The Importance Of The Storytelling In ‘Narcos: Mexico’ And Why Mexico City Will Always Be His Home

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Mount Rushmore Could Soon Get A Big Change If Donald Trump Gets His Way

Things That Matter

Mount Rushmore Could Soon Get A Big Change If Donald Trump Gets His Way

Saul Loeb / Getty Images

Few monuments are more American than Mount Rushmore. It’s a giant rock face carved into the likeness of four U.S. presidents. It’s massive, over-the-top, and was completely unnecessary. Not to mention the monument was built on land seized from Native Americans just years after being given to tribes as a reservation.

Despite this sordid history (or maybe because of it), Donald Trump has repeatedly made light of adding his face to the world-famous sculpture. And according to new reports, the White House has actually asked officials in South Dakota what the process would look like to have an additional president added to the monument.

The White House allegedly asked about having Donald Trump’s face added to the monument in South Dakota.

Over the weekend, the New York Times reported a Republican party official stated that a White House aide reached out to South Dakota’s governor’s, Kristi Noem, office with the question: “What’s the process to add additional presidents to Mount Rushmore.

The question apparently came up after, according to reports, the governor had greeted Trump on his recent visit to South Dakota with a 4-feet tall replica of the monument that already included his face as a fifth element.

Ok…what would that even look like? Is it possible?

Thanks to the angle of some of the photographs taken when Trump visited the memorial in July, it isn’t necessary to Photoshop what it might look like. Trump posed in such a way that he effectively added himself as a fifth figure on the monument. But just in case you wondering – people have already taken to Twitter to share their mockups of an altered Mount Rushmore.

In June, Mount Rushmore National Memorial chief of interpretation and education, Maureen McGee-Ballinger, told the Sioux Falls Argus Leader that it was not possible to add a fifth president to the monument.

“The rock that surrounds the sculpted faces is not suitable for additional carving. When Gutzon Borglum, the sculptor of Mount Rushmore died in 1941, his son Lincoln Borglum closed down the project and stated that no more carvable rock existed,” McGee-Ballinger, whose office is part of the National Park Service.

In addition, Borglum chose those four presidents specifically “to represent the first 150 years of the history of the United States — the birth, growth and preservation of our country” – and “not to represent the individuals themselves.”

Over the years, many have called to add President Reagan or President Obama with little success. The addition of any of those presidents, or Trump, would be certain to ignite a political firestorm and infuriate their critics. On top of the partisan uproar it would be sure to cause, it would also likely meet with objection from Native American leaders, who have long decried the monument because it was built on land given to American Indian tribes through the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868 before being seized by the federal government less than a decade later.

For his part, Trump has repeatedly denied the reports but when was Trump ever known for telling the truth?

As soon as the New York Times report came out, Donald Trump quickly tweeted a denial. However, he added that it would be a great idea, given his many accomplishments in office. When asked about the report, White House officials did not deny that it had taken place, and instead replied that Mount Rushmore is a federal, not state, monument.

However, let’s be clear, this isn’t the first time the president has raised the question of having himself added to the monument. During their first meeting when she was a Congresswoman, Kristi Noem (who is now governor of South Dakota) said he mentioned the idea. Trump allegedly told her it was “his dream” to have his face on Mount Rushmore. Later that year, Trump raised it again – this time in public, at a rally in Youngstown, Ohio, in July.

Trump obviously has an obsession with having his face added to the monument – even if experts agree that it wouldn’t be physically possible.

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com