Things That Matter

Neighbors In Shock After Father Wife, Kids, And Mother-In-Law Killed But One Person Survived

On Sunday, Aug. 25, a 35-year-old man shot and killed his wife, mother-in-law, daughter, and himself in a murder-suicide in Florida.

But miraculously, one of his twin daughters survived the shooting.

Credit: @PPinesPD / Twitter

The Pembroke Pines Police and Fire Departments were called to the scene in this suburban Florida town in Broward County, after a woman called 911. According to a press release statement by the Pembroke Pines Police Department, the woman on the other end of the phone was screaming in Spanish.

Pembroke Pines Police Captain Adam Feiner said the woman who initially made the call was the mother-in-law. She called on Sunday, but was disconnected and never was able to relay the address of the house. Police were able to locate the address of the distressed caller.

“As police officers responded to the residence, 911 operators upgraded the call and provided information that a male subject murdered family members and intended to end his own life,” police said in a statement. “When police officers arrived, a rapid action team was immediately assembled and first responders entered the home. A preliminary investigation revealed multiple deceased victims, seemingly from gunshot wounds.”

When police and detectives arrived, they noticed the bodies in the house but didn’t realize one of the twins was alive until later.  

Credit: @MWrightWPLG / Twitter

The 3-year-old survived the shooting. Police said that the surviving daughter was released from a local hospital, and was currently in the care of family members until child custody arrangements are established. Those deceased include 36-year-old Sandra Colon, her mother Olga Alvarez, 61, her killer and husband  Pablo Colon, Jr., and one of his twin daughters. Police say he died of a “self-inflicted gunshot wound.”

“Certainly this was a very traumatic event for her to experience,” the police captain said during a news conference earlier this week. “The agency has done everything possible to ensure the child has the most adequate and available resources to help her during this unfortunate incident.”

Neighbors say they are completely shocked that the husband and father of two would kill his family. He was always considered the “quiet one.”

Credit: @Univision23 / Twitter

“I’ve never heard of anything like that here and I’ve been here for probably close to 15 years,” another neighbor said, according to the Daily Mail. Other news reports say that Pablo was the owner of his own company — a local electrical service business — and they lived well in a gated Grand Palms Golf and Country Club community. However, other media reports that he had his family had only been living in that house for six months and that it was rented. People magazine reports that the couple had only been married since May

Police say that the crime is still under investigation. 

Credit: @ElmoloveLT / Twitter

They are still calling Pablo a suspect in the case and can’t rule out anything until after the investigation is over. There’s no way of knowing what the motive was in this case, but whatever made him commit this alleged crime there will never be an excuse for it. Perhaps their extended family will be able to provide information as to the mindset of this killer. 

Yesterday, a local reporter noted that a trial was held where several of their family members attended.

 Credit: @NekiMohanWPLG / Twitter

“Relatives pack a Broward County Courtroom for shelter hearing for 3-year-old left orphaned after a murder-suicide,” Neki Mohan tweeted. “Police say Pablo Colon Jr killed his wife, her mother and one of the twin daughters before killing himself in Pembroke Pines on Sunday Night.”

We just hope that this little girl, the surviving victim, goes to a family that will really take care of her. 

READ: Two Mothers Fighting To Get Rid Of Gun Violence Were Shot And Killed In Their Own Chicago Neighborhood

Terrifying Moment Caught On Camera When A White Woman Pulls A Gun On A Black Woman In A Parking Lot

Things That Matter

Terrifying Moment Caught On Camera When A White Woman Pulls A Gun On A Black Woman In A Parking Lot

Takelia Shanee / Facebook

A disturbing video is going viral on social media. A Black Michigan mom stared down the barrel of a gun pointed by an angry white woman in a parking lot. The video is the latest example of Black Americans being violently targeted by white people.

Takelia Hill shared a video on Facebook of a terrifying encounter in a parking lot.

Posted by Takelia Shanee on Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The video starts with the image of a white woman holding a gun with fear and anger as she yells at Hill. The woman claims that Hill tried to jump behind her minivan and she was leaving the parking lot. Hill can be heard arguing with the woman refuting her claims that Hill was somehow the aggressor of the out of control and dangerous situation.

A Twitter version of the video, shared by someone identifying as a relative, has been viewed more than 11 million times on Thursday.

Hill’s daughter was recording the confrontation after the woman bumped into her.

According to The Detroit News, the argument began because the white woman bumped into Hill’s daughter and didn’t apologize. The argument escalated quickly when the Hill was almost hit with the minivan as the white couple started to drive. Hill hit the car and the white woman jumped out of the car and drew her gun.

The woman was arrested but released, according to a woman identifying as a close family member.

The police have not confirmed the information tweeted by the family member. The video is sparking outrage in the area of Auburn Hills, Michigan.

“I am deeply disturbed by an incident last night where a woman pointed a cocked gun at another woman during an argument,” Oakland County Executive David Coulter said in a statement, according to The Detroit News. “This behavior is unacceptable. I wholly expect the prosecutor to bring charges that reflect the severity of the incident.”

People in social media are angry after seeing the video and are offering advice on how the family should move forward.

One state senator is calling for action on gun reform in Michigan after the video. Fortunately, Hill and her daughter survived the encounter but the trauma of living through that is taxing.

“Michigan needs commonsense gun reform, and we need it now. People should feel safe going about their day and not have to worry about having a gun pulled on them during a conflict,” state Sen. Rosemary Baye told The Detroit News. “This incident clearly shows we have much work to do because this is not how we should be treating each other.”

READ: People Are Using Social Media to Highlight Racism On The Islands

MLS Players Test Positive As Teams Travel To Florida To Start Tournament

Entertainment

MLS Players Test Positive As Teams Travel To Florida To Start Tournament

Patrick Smith / Getty Images

The numbers are startling. The number of COVID-19 infections in the U.S. is skyrocketing and breaking records for the number of infections almost daily. One of the hardest-hit states in Florida and the MLS is determined to bring their season back using Florida as their meeting ground.

MLS athletes and staff members are testing positive for COVID-19 after arriving in Florida.

Major League Soccer is one of the first sports to attempt to restart its season. Fans were excited about the decision to restart the sport and MLS officials set their sights on the Walt Disney World Resort. Teams were flown down to Orlando to create a bubble to restart the sport as safely as possible.

Florida is experiencing one of the most severe spikes in cases in the country and the MLS is not immune to the spread.

Florida recently reported more than 10,000 cases July 1, a record for the state, and within 1,000 infections from the nation’s record set in New York. Orange County, which is home to Orlando and Walt Disney World Resort, is facing one of the most devastating outbreaks in the state.

There is a lot of chatter about whether or not is possible for this bubble idea to work.

“So far, most guys have been sticking to their rooms, playing video games, FIFA and 2K. We’ve had the opportunity share meals together, which was nice because I haven’t eaten in a group in a long time,” San Jose defender Tommy Thompson told Tampa Bay Times. “It felt great to be back on the field. When we all got on that bus together and started to train with contact, it felt really good.”

Fans are questioning if this idea is going to work.

Some players have told the press that they do feel safe in the bubble as the teams practice and prepare for the MLS is Back Tournament.

“Everyone is wearing masks, some guys are wearing gloves, and I feel safe 100 percent,” Dallas midfielder Tanner Tessmann told Tampa Bay Times. “They separated us on the buses and on the plane. We are staying one to a room in the hotel. So, I feel really safe. They have good procedures in place, so everything should go smoothly.”

The MLS is Back Tournament is set to begin July 8, considering everything goes according to plan. The rest of the teams are expected to arrive this week with the first game between Inter Miami and Orlando City.

READ: The U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Is Calling For A Repeal Of Its Kneeling Policy During The National Anthem