Things That Matter

Father Allegedly Kills 6-Year-Old Son By Performing ‘Exorcism’ In Bathtub

An Arizona father, Pablo Martinez, was arrested on first-degree murder when he and his wife admitted the father had conducted an “exorcism” on their 6-year-old son. The mother and child belonged to the Pascua Yaqui Indian Reservation in Arizona, although the father lived with them, he is not a part of the tribe. The FBI and Pascua Yaqui police are investigating together, while the father is in custody of the U.S. Marshal Service.  

Authorities say the father poured hot water down the boy’s throat and on his body to perform an exorcism. When the 6-year-old’s body was discovered, 15 percent of it was covered in burns. 

Father allegedly murders his 6-year-old son during “exorcism.” 

Pablo Martinez told police he poured hot water down the throat of his 6-year-old son because the boy “was demonic and had a demon inside of him.” The father described the act as an exorcism. The child’s adoptive mother, Romelia Martinez, said her son “had been acting demonic,” when her husband suggested giving the 6-year-old and their other child a bath. 

Romelia told detectives she heard gurgling coming from the bathroom, she was not in the room, and when she opened the door she saw Pablo holding the boy under the bathtub faucet. The mother claims she screamed for the father to stop, at which point he said: “he had to do it.” Romelia said she called a pastor, then the police when he did not pick up. 

The father insisted he “saw something evil,” in the child. Police say Pablo believed the hot water was “working” to exorcise the demons.

Pascua Yaqui authorities arrive.

On the 911 call, Romelia said her husband was performing CPR on the child and had poured cold water on his body. Pablo told investigators that the hot water he poured down the 6-year-old’s throat was to “cast out the demon” and that the boy had an “unnatural fit of rage.”

According to BuzzFeed News, tribal authorities arrived at the Martinez home after receiving the call. Both parents were standing outside when they asked the mother what had happened, Romelia said, “He can tell you.”  

The father told the Pascua Yaqui authorities they “were not in the right mindset or belief,” before surrendering with his hands in the air and allegedly saying, “I did it.” This comment is particularly interesting because the mother and child are a part of the Pascua Yaqui Indian Reservation, but the father is not. 

Pablo Martinez is charged with first-degree murder. 

Authorities say Pablo allegedly confessed to holding his son underwater for five to 10 minutes. Fortunately, the other child left the bathroom in tears, seemingly traumatized from what was happening, but physically unharmed. 

Pascua Yaqui police found the child naked and propped up against a pillow in a back room. He was rushed to the hospital but pronounced dead. Court documents show the 6-year-old had burn marks on 15 percent of his body, on his head, elbows, and forearms. Pablo was taken into the custody of the US Marshal Service and arrested on first-degree murder. 

The FBI is conducting a joint investigation with the Pascua Yaqui Police Department. 

“The FBI has a strong, long-standing commitment to investigating violent crime in Indian Country. We are dedicated to working alongside our tribal and federal partners to protect all of our communities,” Jill McCabe, a spokesperson with the FBI’s Phoenix division, said in a statement.

Elementary school releases a statement.

Dear Lynn Urquides Families,It is with deep regret and sadness that I inform you of the death of one of our students….

Posted by Lynn Urquides Elementary School on Saturday, September 28, 2019

The 6-year-old boy had special needs and attended Lynn Urquides Elementary School. Principal Marisa Salcido released a statement about the child’s death. 

“It is with deep regret and sadness that I inform you of the death of one of our students,” Salcido wrote on Facebook. “I want to let you know that Lynn Urquides Elementary administrative team has been working with TUSD Leadership and the Coordinator of TUSD Counseling to ensure that we provide every means of support and assistance to all the students, along with our staff. Our counselors are available to help staff and any student who is struggling with death or other issues that may surface.”

The school will provide grief support and counseling to students. 

Exorcisms today. 

In 2018, demands for exorcisms increased threefold causing the Vatican to address the uptick during an Italian conference. However, the purpose was not to address increase, but rather the methods priests use to perform the exorcisms themselves. Friar Beningo Palila stated there are around 500,000 cases requiring exorcisms in Italy alone. He believes the increase of use in tarot cards and fortune tellers “open the door to the devil and to possession.” 

“A self-taught exorcist certainly meets errors,” Palila said. “I will say more: it would also take a period of apprenticeship, as happens for many professionals.”

The statement seems all the more ominous in the context of the 6-year-old boy’s tragic death. 

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Street Vendor By The Name Of Lorenzo Pérez Murdered Execution Style — “The person who killed my dad took away a part of me”

Things That Matter

Street Vendor By The Name Of Lorenzo Pérez Murdered Execution Style — “The person who killed my dad took away a part of me”

Like many street vendors, 45-year-old Lorenzo Pérez sold food to support his family.

Married and the father of four children ages 15, 13, 9, and 1, Perez is described by friends and family as being well known amongst neighborhood residents. He was often seen working alongside his daughter who helped him on occasion. Now, the community and family who knew Perez well are in mourning, after he was shot in broad daylight while doing his job.

Perez died after he being shot in the head in southeast Fresno on Sunday afternoon.

Fresno Police were called to the scene of a possible robbery at Alta and Pierce Avenues, near Kings Canyon and Willow around 4:30 p.m. on Sunday. On the way to the scene, the police officers learned that a street vendor had been shot once in the head.

According to reports, Perez was rushed to Community Regional Medical Center where he ultimately died.

Witnesses of the murder told officers that a man had beckoned Perez to come over to him in a way that suggested he was going to purchase something from him.

According to police reports, when Perez walked up to the suspect, the man pulled out a gun and shot the vendor. He then stole a few items, which have not been identified, and flew the scene. Witnesses told police officers that they’d seen the man loitering around the area before the shooting.

A local news station reported that “Officers are now looking into surveillance footage from the area to try and identify the shooter… Through a statement, Fresno City Council President Luis Chavez announced that he will be offering a $5000 reward for information leading to the shooter’s arrest.”

“The coward that murdered our food vendor, turn yourself in and face the consequences. You’ve brought tremendous pain to a family and our city,” Chavez exclaimed in the statement.

To help the Perez family, Councilmember Esmeralda Soria set up a GoFundMe account which has already raised $141,780 out of its $125,000 goal.

Perez’s son, Isai, described his father in a recent interview as a “great man.”

“My father was a great man. He was a great father, a great husband, a great friend,” he said in an interview. “He spread love and kindness. He was about fairness, he wanted to share his happiness. He meant no harm. He didn’t deserve to go like this. The person who killed my dad took away a part of me. My dad went through everything for us. He took away my father. He took away the opportunity of me being with him in his last moments and it’s heartbreaking. I hope they find the murderer soon.”

If you have any information on the shooting please call Valley Crime Stoppers at (559) 498-STOP.

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Retired Detective Rafael Tovar Recalls Working John Wayne Gacy Case In New Peacock Docuseries

Entertainment

Retired Detective Rafael Tovar Recalls Working John Wayne Gacy Case In New Peacock Docuseries

John Wayne Gacy shocked the world with is violent and terrifying crimes. The serial killer operated in the Chicago suburbs and killed at least 33 people. “John Wayne Gacy: Devil in Disguise” digs deep into the story that true crime enthusiasts think they know.

Peacock is releasing a new true-crime docuseries “John Wayne Gacy: Devil in Disguise.”

NBC News Studios is bringing a new true-crime docuseries to the streaming world with “John Wayne Gacy: Devil in Disguise.” The documentary promises to take even those who know the story of John Wayne Gacy through parts of the case and serial killer that few know.

The docuseries relies on interviews from law enforcement, neighbors, victims, and family members affected by the murders. Retired Detective Rafael Tovar and Executive Producer Alexa Danner spoke with mitú about working the the case and creating the docuseries.

Tovar was the first Spanish-speaking police officer in the Chicago suburbs in 1970. Eight years later, Tovar was helping to unravel the horrific murders committed by John Wayne Gacy.

“It was a phase into the case because when we first started, we were working on a missing person report for one person, never figuring that it was going to turn out to be what it turned out to be,” Tovar recalls about the case. “It was something new every day until we started digging that’s when everything broke loose, and it became the case of a lifetime for a police officer.”

The former Des Plaines detective remembers the moment that case was going to be much more than anticipated. Around December 21, when the officers executed a second warrant on John Wayne Gacy’s suburban home, Tovar and other authorities made gruesome discoveries. Tovar remembers digging under the house with an evidence technician when they discover three left femurs. The bones were too decayed to belong to the last victim, Robert Piest.

“The John Wayne Gacy story has certainly been told multiple times over the year and I think that there is a sense that there’s a narrative out there that is known and accepted,” Alexa Danner, an executive producer on the docuseries says. “What we really found as we began to produce this documentary was that there are a lot of questions that remain about the case. There’s a lot of mystery still surrounding it.”

Danner promises that even those who think they know the John Wayne Gacy story well will learn new things about the crimes. “John Wayne Gacy: Devil in Disguise” talks to people never interviewed before and takes a hard look at the case like never before.

The investigation into John Wayne Gacy changed law enforcement practices drastically. Procedures were adjusted to better assist with missing persons reports, especially children. Tovar also shared that John Wayne Gacy himself claimed to have had other victims.

“I was transferring him from our police lockup to the county lockup. Just in conversation, I asked him, ‘John. There are a lot of numbers going around. How many people did you kill?’ and he said, ‘Well, I’ve said this, I’ve said that, but 45 sounds like a good number.’ So I asked him, ‘Well, where are they?’ He said, ‘No. That’s your job to find out,’” Tovar recalls about that conversation. “He was the type of guy that knew that you knew something or that you were going to find out, he’d be totally honest with you. If he didn’t think that you were going to find out, he liked to play mind games with you. I believe him. Everything else he told me was true, so I believe that there are more out there.”

The show will take people through Gacy’s life before the violent attacks he became known for after his arrest. It will show people the life he had in Iowa that might have been a warning sign of things to come. The docuseries explores lingering questions about his mother’s ignorance about her son’s dealings and questions about the real body count.

Danner recalls a psychiatric report done on Gacy after his arrest that should have given everyone pause.

“It essentially said that this man would not stop behaving like this. There’s no known way to stop his behavior or change it,” Danner says. “To look back ten years before he’s arrested for all of these killing and know that he was already being assessed that way or diagnosed that way is really troubling and horrible.”

“John Wayne Gacy: Devil in Disguise” will be available for streaming March 25 on Peacock.

READ: New Netflix Docuseries Explores The Summer The Night Stalker Terrorized Los Angeles

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com