Things That Matter

California Man Arrested With Drugs And Guns While Keeping A Person Hostage And Suspected Of Murder

The California man accused of murdering Iraq veteran Adrian Bonar was arrested in his home Monday night, during a SWAT raid that yielded several guns, over four pounds of fentanyl and another adult male who “had been kidnapped and was being held against his will,” according to a statement by the Anaheim Police Department. Antonio Silva, 27, is suspected of murdering Army Veteran Adrian Bonar, whose body was found wrapped in a tarp in the trunk of an abandoned Lexus on October 17th off Santa Ana Canyon Road west of Gypsum Canyon. Due to the nature of the crime, the Anaheim Police Department involved a SWAT team to partake in the search warrant of Silva’s home in the 2500 block of Bristol Street in Santa Ana, and for good reason. The search warrant yielded two rifles, two handguns and over four pounds of fentanyl.

Amazingly, we encountered an adult male who had been kidnapped and was being held against his will at Silva’s home,” Anaheim Police said in a statement. “We were able to rescue that victim and likely prevented another murder.”

Antonio Silva has been booked for murder, kidnapping, and false imprisonment along with drug and weapons charges

CREDIT: ANAHEIM POLICE DEPARTMENT / FACEBOOK

Silva reportedly resisted arrest, and police fired 40mm sponge rounds, which are sponge-tipped bullets designed to injure, rather than kill. The investigation remains open and ongoing so the police are not revealing any information about the relationship between Silva, Bonar and the kidnapping victim, who has not been named. Police believe that the kidnapping victim was being held for ransom in Silva’s home for several days. He was sent to the hospital, treated, and kept overnight, but released the following morning.

“Our homicide detectives and virtually every investigative unit in the Anaheim Police Department have been working tirelessly for the past four weeks on this case,” APD Public Information Officer Sgt. Daron Wyatt told Behind the Badge. “(It was) outstanding work from our investigators. They worked it from the ground up.”

Adrian Bonar’s body was found when Anaheim Police began towing the Lexus his body was hidden in.

CREDIT: ANAHEIM POLICE DEPARTMENT / FACEBOOK

The tow truck driver thought something was unusual about the car. Bonar was the son of millionaire restaurant owner Dr. Brian Bonar. He was born in Scotland, but later moved to San Diego and signed up to be of service. “Regardless of what Adrian may have been involved in, he was a victim of this crime,” Wyatt said. “He was an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Army who saw combat in Iraq, and nobody deserves to die in this fashion or be a victim of a murder no matter what they’ve done.”

Adrian Bonar was an alumni brother of mine,” Mark J. Sellinger commented on the Anaheim Police Department’s Facebook post. “He and I, many years removed, attended the same military academy. I have shared the news of the arrest of the suspect in his killing with my academy brothers. On behalf of our brotherhood, we thank the Anaheim Police and all the other agencies who worked to arrest this alleged killer so he can face justice.”

Bonar is survived by his wife, Jackie Franklin, and daughter, Piper.

CREDIT: ANAHEIM POLICE DEPARTMENT / ADRIAN BONAR / FACEBOOK

In a Facebook tribute last month, Bonar’s sister, Pauline Gourdie, called his murderer “evil scum.” “My wee brother, my twin 14 years apart. How I loved you and I know you loved me back,” she wrote. “My heart is breaking, yet bursting with pride that you were my brother. It’s clear you were not only loved by your family but by so many whose life you touched. You were taken too soon but by gawd did you live it…So proud of all that you achieved in your life, cut short by evil scum. May you soar with the eagles in heaven while they squawk in the sewers of hell! Until we meet again. Sleep tight lil bro. Your heartbroken sis, P.”

Silva’s arrest at this exact moment has certainly saved at least one life.

CREDIT: ANAHEIM POLICE DEPARTMENT / FACEBOOK

“It is as legitimate of a kidnapping as you could get,” Sergeant Shane Carringer, a spokesperson for Anaheim Police Department, told Oxygen.com. “He was absolutely confined and unable to leave the location. He was there against his will. His road to recovery, not only physically, but also mentally and emotionally, will be pretty extraordinary… We absolutely prevented another murder,” he told the outlet. 

Police are asking anyone with information about this case to call the Anaheim PD hotline at 714-321-3669.

READ: Man Posts Snapchat Photo Of Murdered Victim Saying “I don’t know what to do”

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Latina L.A. County Deputy Was Shot In The Face But Saved Her Partner’s Life After A Gunman Ambushed Them

Things That Matter

Latina L.A. County Deputy Was Shot In The Face But Saved Her Partner’s Life After A Gunman Ambushed Them

David McNew / Getty

A shooting that occurred over the weekend in Compton, California has sparked shock, alarm, and outrage.

The shooting occurred sometime around 7 p.m. on Saturday at MLK Transit Center in Compton. According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the gunman made his way toward the passenger’s side of the deputies’ car and shot two deputies with a pistol without precedent.

One of the victims is a 31-year-old mother.

On Saturday, the sheriff’s department tweeted surveillance footage of the shooting which also captured the gunman fleeing the scene.

According to reports, the gunman fired into the deputies’ car without pretext.

“This is just a somber reminder that this is a dangerous job, and actions and words have consequences. Our job does not get any easier because people do not like law enforcement,” Alex Villanueva, the 33rd Sheriff of Los Angeles County, said in a statement. “It pisses me off. It dismays me at the same time.”

According to Villanueva, both of the deputies (Claudia Apolinar a 31-year-old mother and a 24-year-old man) were sworn in just 14 months ago and are in critical condition at the hospital. According to the sheriff’s department both are “fighting for their lives” but “it looks like they’re going to be able to recover.”

Apolinar and her partner were both shot at close range. Apolinar was shot in the face and torso and her partner sustained multiple gunshot wounds Seeing that he was in need of immediate medical treatment, Apolinar managed to make a tourniquet for him before medics arrived.

According to the New York Post, Apolinar is a former librarian who graduated from the academy last year.

“We’ll see what the long-term impact is. We don’t know that yet, but they survived the worst,” Villanueva explained.

Local officials have announced a $100,000 reward for information on the gunman and his whereabouts.

Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden spoke out against the attack and condemned it in a statement calling “Acts of lawlessness and violence directed against police officers are unacceptable, outrageous, and entirely counterproductive to the pursuit of greater peace and justice in America — as are the actions of those who cheer such attacks on.”

Speaking about the incident, Democratic US Rep. Adam Schiff called the attack “cowardly.”

“Every day, law enforcement officers put themselves at risk to protect our community,” Schiff stated in a post shared to Twitter. “I hope the perpetrator of this cowardly attack can be quickly brought to justice.”

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Jussie Smollett Speaks Out For The First Time In Months About His Alleged 2019 Attack— ‘They Won’t Let This Go’

Entertainment

Jussie Smollett Speaks Out For The First Time In Months About His Alleged 2019 Attack— ‘They Won’t Let This Go’

Nuccio DiNuzzo / Getty

In early 2019, “Empire “actor Jussie Smollett found himself thrust into the public spotlight of scrutiny after it was reported that he had been the victim of a hate crime. His original claim initially prompted public outrage and a flood of support from fans. Then, nearly three weeks later, the public was shocked to learn that Smollett had been charged with disorderly conduct and the false filing of a police report after it was determined that the attack had been staged. Worse? Officials suspected that Smollett himself had choreographed the entire attack from start to finish. In March of 2019, the actor was charged with 16 counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly filing a false police report that claimed two men attacked him while yelling racist and homophobic slurs at him.

Since then, the charges against Smollett have been dropped but his reputation remains tarnished. The court of public opinion has determined that he is a liar and fabricator. Ultimately he was dropped from his role on his show and he has remained relatively silent about the issue.

Now, a year after the alleged attack Smollett is speaking out about the controversy in a rare interview.

On Wednesday, the actor made an appearance in an Instagram Live conversation with author and activist Marc Lamont Hill. During the interview, Smollett addressed his ongoing trial calling the situation “frustrating, to say the least.”

“It’s been beyond frustrating, and I certainly am not going rogue,” Smollett explained. “I’m still taking the advice of my attorneys and everything like that, but I don’t really see, honestly, what staying quiet has really done, like, where it has gotten me. … It’s so much bigger than me.”

Smollett went onto share what the past year has done to him and shared that his legal team recently filed a motion against his indictment. The motion is set to be reviewed in court on Thursday. “I believe I have to give it up to God,” Smollett explained before adding that he thinks the legal motion will fall in his favor.

“They won’t let this go,” he explained. “It doesn’t matter — there is an example being made. And the sad part is that there’s an example being made of someone who did not do what they are being accused of.”

Addressing accusations that his original claims were all a hoax, Smollett said that “From the very, very beginning, it was set up to seem like I was lying about something or everything.”

Smollett claimed “there would be no reason for me to do this” and called the accusations “bulls—,” before adding that the “last thing” hew would ever want to do is “be portrayed as a victim.”

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com