Things That Matter

A Gunman Opened Fire On A Santa Clarita High School And Here’s Everything We Know

One person is dead and at least three others are injured, two of them critically, after a shooting at a Southern California high school Thursday morning, officials said.

The shooting began at before 8 a.m. before classes had started, while many students were on their way to the school.

The shooting began before classes started, with authorities starting to get calls about shots fired at 7:38 a.m., Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said.

Adam Eichensehr, another sophomore, told ABC7 he received a text from his friends telling him not to go to school because they heard gunshots.

“At first I didn’t believe it. … then I saw cops, and so I stopped and I called my mom and she told me to come straight home,” he said. “All my friends I’ve come in contact with are OK for now.”

Police had tweeted out a warning to the community before they had located the suspect.

The Santa Clarita Valley sheriff’s office tweeted just before 8 a.m. local time to avoid the area of Saugus High School, which is in the county of Los Angeles, about 40 miles north of the city of Los Angeles. Minutes later, the office said people were reporting that shots had been fired at the school.

“This is an active shooter situation,” a tweet from the Santa Clarita Valley sheriff’s office said before the suspect was located. “If you live in neighborhoods anywhere near Saugus High, PLEASE LOCK DOORS and stay inside. If you see suspect, male dark clothing, in backyards, etc. CALL 911.”

“Parents, deputies are on scene everywhere protecting your children,” a tweet from the sheriff’s office said.

So far two victims have died from their wounds and three others remain in the hospital.

Five victims were being transported to Henry Mayo Hospital, which says that three of them — two males and one female — arrived in critical condition. The female patient later died. Another male patient was in good condition and a fifth patient was still en route, according to the hospital.

Terrified students have started sharing their harrowing stories.

Student Sharon Orelana Cordova told NBC Los Angeles that she was doing homework when she saw people running so she started running too. “When I got out, I saw this person lying down on the ground, and I saw blood all over. It was really scary, I was really really scared. I didn’t know what was going on,” she said.

Saugus was placed on lockdown as were neighboring elementary schools and all of the schools in the William S. Hart Union High School District, officials said.

Aerial video showed students with their hands raised, being escorted by deputies away from the school of about 2,300 students, NBC Los Angeles reported. They were transported from the campus on school buses with armed deputies on board.

An area was set up for parents to reunify with students at a park about three miles from the school.

Politicians and celebrities were quick to condemn the violence on social media.

Several of the leading candidates for the 2020 Democratic primary took to Twitter to share their grief but to also make renewed calls for increased gun control.

Bernie Sanders said: “This must end. Children in America should not live in fear for their lives at school or anywhere else. We have a moral obligation to say: children’s lives are more important than gun manufacturers’ profits. We must pass common sense gun safety legislation.”

While California’s Governor Gavin Newsome tweeted at the Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnel: “how many more lives will be lost? How many more shootings will we have to endure? We need commonsense gun reform. NOW.”

The Santa Clarita shooting marks the 366th mass shooting in the US just this year.

At least 30 shooting attacks on school grounds have occurred in 2019 resulting in deaths or injuries, according to gun safety group Everytown.

At least 11 people have died in fatal shooting attacks this year, according to Everytown’s research. 

Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund, a non-profit founded in 2006, tracks incidents of gun violence across the United States. Included in its count of gun violence on schools are any incident in which a live round is fired inside or into a school building or on a school’s campus.

The group says there have been a total of 84 incidents of gunfire on school grounds in 2019. There were 104 in 2018.

Of the incidents this year, 10 fatal incidents, including Thursday’s, involved attacks on others. There were other shootings that caused injury or death that involved those that died by suicide, a round that accidentally went off, attacks not targeting students or domestic incidents

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Federal Judge Breaks Her Silence After Her Son Was Murdered By Disgruntled Attorney

Things That Matter

Federal Judge Breaks Her Silence After Her Son Was Murdered By Disgruntled Attorney

Eyewitness News ABC7NY / YouTube

Federal Judge Esther Salas is preparing to bury her 20-year-old son. Her son was killed by a disgruntled disguised as a FedEx driver on his birthday weekend. Judge Salas’ husband was hospitalized after being shot multiple times. She is asking for better protection got federal judges and their families.

Judge Esther Salas is demanding better protection and privacy for federal judges.

The video opens with Judge Salas explaining the events that unfolded that day. The emotion grows as she talks about her son finally turning 20 and his excitement to be with his parents. She recalls her son saying that he just wanted to stay and talk to her where the doorbell rings.

Judge Salas remembers her son running up the stairs to answer the door, curious about who it could be. When the door opened, Judge Salas heard gunshots and someone screaming “no.” When she got to her family, she learned that someone dressed as a FedEx delivery person came to the door and opened fire. The son jumped in front of his dad to protect him and died from a bullet wound to the chest.

As a result of the killing, Judge Salas is asking for politicians to do something to protect federal judges. As it stands, the address and other personal information on federal judges are readily available online. Judge Salas wants a way for that information to be hidden from the public.

“At the moment there is nothing we can do to stop it, and that is unacceptable,” Judge Salas said in the video. “My son’s death cannot be in vain, which is why I am begging those in power to do something to help my brothers and sisters on the bench.”

She added: “My family has experienced a pain that no one should ever have to endure. And I am here asking everyone to help me ensure that no one ever has to experience this kind of pain. We may not be able to stop something like this from happening again, but we can make it hard for those who target us to track us down.”

Judge Salas’ video is a hard video to watch as her raw emotion breaks through.

It is devastating to have to bury a child. It is something no parent should have to do. For Judge Salas, she is burying a child that was taken from her in a senseless act of violence perpetrated by a self-proclaimed anti-feminist attorney.

People on social media are standing with the judge in asking for better data protection to save lives.

Data issues have long plagued the Internet and activists want to change that. For many, the issue is protecting data from falling into the wrong hands or for companies, like Facebook, to profit off of our data. For Judge Salas, it is a matter of life or death to protect her colleagues on the bench and their families.

READ: The Government Accountability Office States That ICE And The FBI Are Using DMV Data To Track Undocumented Immigrants

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Megan Thee Stallion Just Dropped A New Freestyle About The Tory Lanez Shooting Incident

Entertainment

Megan Thee Stallion Just Dropped A New Freestyle About The Tory Lanez Shooting Incident

Erik Voake / Stringer, Cindy Ord / Stringer

*Warning: This story contains graphic images*

Updated August 31, 2020

Several weeks have passed since we first reported that Megan Thee Stallion had been involved in a shooting that injured her feet. At the time, the rapper had explained that she had been shot as “a result of a crime that was committed against” her. However, up until recently, the rapper has kept fairly quiet about the incident only opening up to fans to ask for her privacy and their sympathy.

In July Megan addressed the incident once again on Instagram Live in a nine-minute video where she thanked fans for their support.

Speaking about the incident, which happened on July 12, Megan recalled having both of her feet shot.

“I see… a lot of people that have been very supportive and sending prayers, and I just really appreciate that,” she said during the live stream. “I saw the hotties doing a lot of things, like writing letters on Tumblr and DMing me all the time, and I just want to say thank y’all so much, because y’all have really been the ones helping me get through this.”

“I was shot in both of my feet,” she explained “I had to get surgery to get the bullets taken out. And it was super scary.” She later noted, “Thank God that the bullets didn’t touch bones; they didn’t break tendons. I know my momma or my daddy, my granny, had to be looking out for me with that one, because where the bullets hit at it missed everything.”

Despite her statements, users on Twitter have continued to question the validity of her claims about the incident.

After being spotted at a strip club in Atlanta this week, fans were quick to question again whether she’d actually been shot at all.

Megan responded to the accusations with a picture of her injury.

*Warning it’s pretty gruesome.*

MeganTheeStallion/ Instagram

Megan posted the now-deleted image with a caption that read “Lol what I have learned abt majority of the people on social media is y’all like to hear bad news before good news, a lie spreads quicker than the truth, and y’all really be believing the sh– YALL make up.” She went onto comment “I got hit at the back of my feet because when I got shot I was WALKING AWAY FACING THE BACK. why would I lie abt getting shot? Why are y’all so upset that I don’t wanna be in the bed sad? Why y’all upset that I can walk? I got my stitches out my feet like 2 weeks ago and I was ready to go celebrate WAP going number1… I usually don’t address internet bullshit but y’all people are so sick! God was really watching over me and I’m healing so well! Sorry I’m not as sad and miserable as a lot of y’all lol but ima keep being Megan Thee Mf STALLION.”

Just a day after posting the photo of her gunshot wound on Instagram, Megan returned to social media to accuse rapper Tory Lanez of being the one to shoot her.

Just before Megan took to Instagram, she tweeted “Lie one more time and ima quit sparing you.” Looks like the rapper screwed up and lied another time.

In the video posted to Instagram, Megan accused Lanez’s publicist of spreading misinformation about the incident which ended in Megan being rushed to the hospital with gunshot wounds this past July. “Yes, this n**** Tory shot me,” Meg said on her official Instagram. Speaking to Lanez, she went onto say “You got your publicist and your people going to these blogs lying and shit. Stop lying.”

At the end of August, Megan Thee Stallion dropped a new untitled freestyle addressing the incident.

After admitting earlier in August, that Lanez shot her, the “WAP” rapper posted a freestyle about the incident. “Tic tac toe, I X this b—h/ If a hit dog holler, I address that s–t,” Megan rapped before referencing the incident. “Got shot two times and I ate that s–t/ Bounced right back with a Revlon deal.”

Within a few days of the news breaking about Megan’s shooting incident, men and women began to make jokes and rumors about what happened.

While her fans were quick to show genuine concern about her health and welfare, many were keen on making jokes as well. Media outlets and celebrities alike slung all kinds of cracks about the incident, even going so far as to mock the rapper’s personal life. Recently, model Chrissy Teigen apologized for a joke she made on Twitter about the incident which read, “I have a megan thee stallion joke but it needs to be twerked on.”

The joke came just after the “Hot Girl Summer” rapper asked fans to have more compassion on Twitter about the situation pointing out that “Black women are so unprotected & we hold so many things in to protect the feelings of others w/o considering our own.” She went onto add that “It might be funny to y’all on the internet and just another messy topic for you to talk about but this is my real life and I’m real life hurt and traumatized.”

The largely unsympathetic reaction to Megan’s shooting is a reminder that Black women continue to be ignored when it comes to pain.

2017 report released by the National Center for Victims of Crime “41.2 percent of Black women had experienced physical violence and 53.8 percent had experienced psychological aggression, as compared to 31.5 and 47.1 percent of all women respectively.” According to The Guardian, Black women and other minorities are even more at risk because of the current pandemic crisis. “With more than three-quarters of the US population told to stay home to stem the pandemic’s spread, nowhere is safe for victims of intimate partner violence,” they reported. “A self-quarantine puts them in perpetual proximity to their abuser. Leaving exposes them not just to a deadly virus but a world that has largely closed its doors.”

Rapper Megan Thee Stallion, whose real name is Megan Jovon Ruth Pete, recently made headlines earlier this summer when she revealed that she’d been a victim of gun violence.

After a series of misreports from various outlets, the rapper took to Instagram to clear up rumors that had been made about the circumstances. Including ones that suggested she had been arrested.

Recently the rapper revealed she suffered multiple gunshot wounds this past Sunday and is currently recovering.

In a detailed account of events on Instagram on Wednesday, the rapper revealed that rapper Tory Lanez had been arrested on a gun charge after police officers found the weapon in his car. At the time, Megan had also been in a car with another woman.

“On Sunday morning, I suffered gunshot wounds, as a result of a crime that was committed against me and done with the intention to physically harm me,” the “Savage” rapper wrote. “I was never arrested, the police officers drove me to the hospital where I underwent surgery to remove the bullets. I’m incredibly grateful to be alive and that I’m expected to make a full recovery, but it was important for me to clarify the details about this traumatic night.”

A story published by TMZ originally reported that a cut on the rapper’s foot led police to search the car and find the gun.

The story posted a video of two people, one identified by TMZ as Megan, with their hands behind their backs. The images showed them surrounded by police. The outlet identified the other person as Lanez.

In her Instagram post, Megan emphasized that she had not been arrested but had in fact suffered multiple gunshot wounds. She went on to add that she had been driven by police officers drove to a hospital where she had surgery to remove the bullets.

“I’m incredibly grateful to be alive and that I’m expected to make a full recovery, but it was important for me to clarify the details about this traumatic night,” she finished the image. “I’m currently focused on my recovery, so I can return back to my life and back to making music as soon as possible.”

She also shared that the experience is “an eye-opener and a blessing in disguise… I hate that it took this experience for me to learn how to protect my energy.”

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com