These Are Definitely The 20 Best Songs From Your Childhood
From hip fashion trends to the revolution of digital technology, the 1990s was a real game changer for everyone. The decade introduced us to some of our favorite Latino artists, telenovelas and trends that still have us swooning today. Don’t believe me? Here’s a small reminder of some things we were obsessed with in the early ’90s. In case you somehow forgot.
1. Let’s take it way back to 1990 when “Nubeluz” was the ultimate children’s TV show.
Credit: Peru21.pe / “Nubeluz” / Panamericana Televisión
“Sube a mi nube, nube luz… su su su sube, su su su sube!”
2. And when Mexican group Garibaldi gave us major squad goals.
Credit: Wimpmusic.com / “Caribe” / Cargo Music label
Not only did we obsess over their catchy tunes, such as “Que te la pongo,” but their 1993 movie “Dónde quedó la bolita” was our favorite flick at the time.
3. Gloria Trevi’s 1991 hit “Pelo Suelto” was our anthem.
Credit: @CataveracBlog / Tumblr
Despite mom thinking her music was una “mala influencia” and made us close our eyes every time she came on TV.
4. From 1991 to 1993 “El Show de Xuxa” was everything we obsessed over.
Credit: Spasibo / “El Show de Xuxa” / Univision
Best. TV. Show. EVER!
5. We were so obsessed with Xuxa that almost every young girl owned her very own pair of “Xuxandalias.”
The Xuxa jelly sandals were life!
6. Speaking of fashion trends, remember these statement vests?
Credit: Wikimedia / “Ricky Martin” / Sony Music Mexico
Ricky Martin, Chayanne and even A.C. Slater from “Saved By The Bell” had us obsessing over their vests!
7. The ’90s gave us the Trilogía de las Marías: “María Mercedes,” “Marimar” and “Maria la del Barrio.”
Credit: VidaLatinaFotosDeTelenovelas.blogspot / “Maria la del Barrio” / Televisa
We obsessed over Thalía, Eduardo Capetillo, Fernando Colunga and Itatí Cantoral as the ultimate telenovela villain, Soraya Montenegro.
8. Los Del Río dropped a party jam that had everyone dancing in the early ’90s, the “Macarena.”
And we still know the dance moves. Ain’t no shame.
9. If you did not obsess over “Agujetas de color de rosa” you had no childhood!
Credit: famososexpress.com / “Agujetas de color de rosa” / Televisa
A lot of great teen telenovelas were born in the ’90s. But none can ever compare to “Agujetas de color de rosa.”
10. Enrique Iglesias (and his lunar) became an international sensation in 1995.
Credit: “Enrique Iglesias” / Fonovisa
We’ve been obsessing over the Spanish crooner ever since his sweater, mole and mushroom hair days!
11. Fey slayed the early ’90s with “Media naranja.”
Credit: Media Naranja / RCA
“Tu mi complemento, mi media naranja, ya te quiero sin cruzar palabra!”
Credit: coveralia.com / “Pies Descalzos” / Sony Music
She’s had a bazillion hits since the her first studio album, “Pies Descalzos,” but we still have these songs in rotation 21 years later.
13. And of course, Selena Quintanilla!
Credit: @SweetBabyTee / Tumblr
Because the ’90s are not the ’90s without the iconic “Queen of Tejano.”
14. “Livin’ La Vida Loca” by Ricky Martin
I swear the only reason we liked this song is because Ricky Martin is so charismatic, but bleh! I mean of course her skin had to be the color of “mocha” because that’s the only skin color that rhymes with “vida loca.”
15. “Gasolina” by Daddy Yankee
Remember when reggaeton was taking over the continent and “Gasolina” was the raunchy little anthem that even los gringos were grinding too? Yeah, good times.
16. “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom” by Selena
Credit: Selena Quintanilla/jawbreakingbeauty.tumblr.com
Yes, yes, Selena is La Reina and she can do no wrong, but if anyone else had tried to get us excited about this song, it would NOT have happened.
17. “Bailamos” by Enrique Iglesias
Credit: Enrique Iglesias/fireball-mudflap.tumblr.com
Like we were gonna turn down Enrique Iglesias when he asked us to dance? Not likely. Look! He still had the mole back then.
18. “Jenny from the Block” by JLo
Credit: Jennifer Lopez/celebizz.tumblr.com
Back in the day of OG Bennifer, we let JLo convince us that she was still just like us…except no one was kissin’ our nalgas like that!
19. “Rico Suave” by Gerardo
The truth is that this song has ALWAYS been embarrassing, pero ni modo. Sometimes we like it cheesy.
20. “Genie in a Bottle” by Christina Aguilera
Credit: Christina Aguilera/divatox.tumblr.com
Even Xtina found singing this song embarrassing, but it’s not like we don’t kinda still have the dance memorized.
20. “She Bangs” by Ricky Martin
Credit: Ricky Martin/makeagif.com
Yes, Ricky Martin has already made the list, but there’s NO WAY we can let this one pass. This song is all kinds of wrong and so is the video. Poor Ricky.
21. “Hips Don’t Lie” by Shakira
Ay Shakira, Shakira, do you realize how ridiculous you made us look on the dance floor trying to move our caderas like yours? Even abuelas were in danger of breakin’ a hip.
22. “Macarena” by Los Del Rio
Credit: Arctic Monkeys/happiness-with-turner.tumblr.com
Admit it, this song is a curse that won’t die and yet you still dance to it at weddings and quinceañeras. Make it go away already!
23. “London Bridge” by Fergie
I mean basically, anything by Fergie destroyed us back then LBR.