Ways Only Latina Moms Show They Love You
Moms have a way of being your biggest fans, harshest critics, best friends and worst nightmare at the same time. They will make you so happy and feel so validated when they yell at other people for coming for you but that same anger can backfire at you if you act up. While there might be some moments where you wish that you didn’t have to deal with your mother, there are just so many things that only our mothers do that keep us around.
1. They rage for you.“Latina Gif.” Digital Image. GIPHY. 10 May 2018.
Someone bullied you at school? She’ll go old school and corner that 12-year old until he gets his mom on the phone. The intimidation tactics are everything.
2. They push you…and push you…and push you.@becafloress / Twitter
They claim to just want what’s best for us, but sometimes it is questionable. Raise your hand if your mom has ever asked you what happened to the plus at the end of your A+?
3. When food is love, it’s platos llenos all around.@iaan_arredondo / Instagram
My non-Latinx friends would fast before coming over for dinner because turning down seconds just falls on deaf ears. “Tan flaca, mija, eat.”
4. Even when they’re enojada af, you know you’re in the clear when food arrives.@celestiRodriguez / Twitter
There really is such a thing as comfort food and it’s virtually anything your mom brings you. We all have an emotional relationship with food.
5. No, seriously, food is the tie that keeps the bond alive.@yettieosorio / Twitter
It would be more painful to not be invited down for la cena than it would be to be chewed out. Food=self-worth, and it’s a problematic concept to grow up with.
6. They will hunt you down if you go dark for five minutes.@liveloud02 / Twitter
It’s like in all those movies where a girl gets kidnapped and she’s like, “My ~boyfriend~ will find me!” All hundreds of millions of us would say the same about our moms. They’re probably tracking us right now.
7. They keep you rooted.@coxcums / Twitter
There is no end of the “When I was your age…” and the rest of those sentences are usually pretty unbelievable. I actually didn’t believe them growing up and would roll my eyes like, “yeah, right.” Now, I’m just all respect.
8. They always know what’s best for you.@gsaauce9 / Twitter
And they’ll tell you it over and over again, even if the timing is less than sensitive. Other things they know: Don’t go outside in the rain; Put hydrogen peroxide on all your pimples; Make him meet me before he takes you out.
9. They’ll also save your soul from el diablo.@hermionepothead / Twitter
Not going to church is not even an option in my house. The day I broke my ankle, I was forced to hobble in there. Gimme a mom that reads me Bible pages. ????
10. They will respond to a post like this with…@jenaveca / Twitter
“In no world am I una nana, so no. There is no resemblance.”
11. They will teach that para limpiar es vida.@lovingbiebo / Twitter
No matter what the house is “dirty” with. And that “one day we’ll thank them.”
12. They’ll give you body image issues, but it’s out of love.@modernmami / Twitter
You’re always too fat or too thin, and she’s always at the ready to tell you.
13. They’ll teach you candid honesty until you want to scream.@nathalydealba / Instagram
All her hopes and dreams are on you, so you might as well just expect to be in the spotlight. Behave yourself, siempre.
14. They worry over nothing because of how much they love you.@ocampo408 / Twitter
They will worry themselves sick and then expect you to “know what you did.” We can only assume motherhood makes your mind go to crazy places.
15. They will also shit talk you, but with love.@stacey_ruiz / Twitter
One of my first words as a kid was puta and I had no idea why I got smacked for saying it. I thought it was a term of endearment! HA
16. They inspire us to get loud for what we believe in.@VICTORIAC360 / Twitter
And I mean LOUD. Every step of the way, our moms are speaking up and out, and as kids, it embarrassed us. Now, their fire burns in us.
17. They teach us tough love.mitú
They’re never going to comfort you after you take a fall because you should have known better. And now you do. #parenting
18. They will fuss over you until you want to cry.mitú
Stop plucking my eyebrows. Stop fiddling with my hair. JK-you’ll never actually tell them to stop unless you want to be smacked or make them cry.
19. There’s a reason they deserve two Mother’s Days.@quiensosvos_ / Twitter
Latina moms lecture us, scold us and love us twice as much. So heap praise twice as often as you think you need to, because she needs to hear it, every day of the year.
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org