We Listed 21 Reasons Why Being Single Is The Best.
Full disclosure: I’m not single anymore, which makes me uniquely qualified to tell you all the reasons being single is the best. Trust, you won’t be single forever, and in fact, will probably be single for only the smallest fraction of your life.
As Latinos, we feel enough pressure to couple up from our family and even friends. Lighten your load and lean into one of the most special, light, and free times of your life! Here are all the perks to being single, in case you need a refresher.
1. You can indulge yourself in self-love and self-care.
Cheesy, but true. You don’t have to compromise your own self-care to allow your partner space to take a bath, or watch their favorite telenovela.
2. Make loving yourself your religion, already.
Because you should always prioritize your self-care, and doing it religiously in your single life will make it a given in your future relationships.
3. Eat the f*cking pan dulce if you want it.
Ditch your diet. Whatever you’re looking for: the right f*ckboy, partner, wife…they’ll be attracted to your self-confidence, not your bod. Ok, probably also your bod, but respect its sexiness as is and never stop!
4. Go on trips with your friends.
In the first honeymoon years of your next relationship, you’ll want to go places together. Love on your true friends and enjoy the liberation of no obligations to anyone but yourself.
5. Go on a trip by yourself.
I mean, you don’t have to go all Reese Witherspoon, but take a day trip to the beach, or commit to a staycation day.
6. You can put the love and work into making 100 croquetas and not share a single one.
True love is sharing your croquetas. Show yourself some love and cherish the days you don’t have to explain the labor of love these are.
7. You finally have the time to channel your past lives like your mama wanted you to.
Spend your Friday night watching this Past Life Regression YouTube vid that will help reveal your past lives, loves, and … well, you’ll find out!
8. If you want to commit to being single, set a reasonable time frame.
It’s kind of the best when you can give yourself time to give none of the f*cks about attracting someone and just lean into what it’s like to live solo. The best perk? Read on…
9. YOU CAN THROW AWAY YOUR RAZOR.
My single days = my hairy days, and what a true, true freedom. While your mom might try to Nair you in your sleep, hopefully you get the chance to really love yourself as you are, and not as anyone else expects it to be.
10. You can eat banana peppers straight from the jar.
Don’t play like you don’t do that when you think you’re alone. This is a life free of façades and mothers telling you you look like a slob. This is l i f e.
11. You can listen to your friends’ love drama without projecting a damn thing.
Because you’re single!! No relationship drama over hurr, OK?
12. Just focus on meeting your Cardi B. needs.
Like binging Love & Hip Hop New York without judgement, or listening to Invasion of Privacy on repeat with A-Z Lyrics open wide screen. Nobody’s here to judge you. 🙂
13. And marinate in Cheeto dust and watch Jane the Virgin all day long.
Bottom line: nobody is here to judge you, least of all you. You’ll miss these freedoms, and sometimes you need to let go for an afternoon…or weekend.
14. Focus on who really needs you: your dog.
You’ll never go on a trip alone again! What want for love? Bella Thorne is living her best life with her dog, Tampon. Why aren’t you?
15. When you go home for Christmas, you don’t have to be embarrassed about your family for anyone but yourself.
Or change your strategy of heavy drinking (for FREE) to get through it! Cling, cling, Mama!
16. Revel in the feminist joy of disappointing your “Todavía no tienes un novio?” tias.
“Sí, señora and you better find value in me, myself, and I because I don’t need anybody to define my self worth.”
17. You can try the things that interest you.
The world is your oasis, mija. When you’re with someone, you both end up taking on the others’ interests. Go jump off a cliff if you want to! Spend hours reading on the beach if you want to. Get yourself where you want to be.
18. Make a big change you’ve been curious about.
Been meaning to join Crossfit? Do it. Want to go vegan? Dale. For whatever reason, it feels harder to make a lifestyle change when you have to convince someone else that it’s worth uprooting your shared routines. Carpe diem, mama.
19. Flirt with whoever you damn well want.
You already are thinking of three people that you flirt with on the reg that feels fun and safe because you know it isn’t going anywhere. When you’re in a relationship, that might be problematic. For now, you can revel in the attention.
20. You can sing Selena as loud as you want in the shower.
And who knows, maybe launch your singing and dancing career? YOLO and you have so much more time without an S.O., and don’t forget the little people who encouraged you along the way. 😉
21. Find your chill.
I promise you, whatever drama you think you have going on with casual dating, it is nothing to the deep, dark, family of origin issues that come up when you get close enough to someone.
These are the light and breezy days, when drama becomes a good story later (for someone that isn’t your therapist). DISFRUTE.