politics

Mexican President Announced Investigation Into The Disappearance Of 19 Migrants

Some parts of Mexico are incredibly violent. We have seen this through targeted kidnappings in specific areas of the country. In 2010, more than 11,000 migrants were kidnapped in six months. Almost five years ago, 43 male students disappeared after they were forcibly taken off buses in Mexico. Now, another similar situation is brewing.

Nineteen migrants were forcibly removed from a bus and are now missing.

Mexico president Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador confirmed that on March 17, migrants were taken off a bus by armed men. The migrants were traveling toward the border town of Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico, which is less than an hour from McAllen, Texas. The bus driver told officials that 19 people were taken, but the number could be as high as 25, The Yucatan Times reports.

Obrador said they would investigate this situation because he says it’s very suspicious.

Twitter/@InvestReports

“We are investigating to get to the bottom of this because there’s a theory that this could be a way to get into the United States, that they didn’t actually disappear but rather crossed the border. There have already been two similar cases,” the president said according to The Yucatan Times.

According to the Associated Press, last month 25 migrants were kidnapped on a different bus.

Several news outlets report that in some cases, those kidnapped are already in the U.S., but advocates for the missing say each case should be handled severely.

“They are in a situation of vulnerability on multiple fronts that places them at extraordinary risk,” Mexico’s National Human Rights Commission said in a statement.

Obrador has made it clear that under his administration they will take human rights seriously, including reopening the case on the 43 missing students.

The president said in 2018 that he would establish a “truth commission” to investigate the 2014 case of the missing students.

“I hope that we will soon know the truth. That there’s justice and an example is set so never again human rights are violated in our country so that no other Mexican suffers the disappearance of their children,” he said in a press conference.

In 2016, the Mexico government reportedly blocked any investigation about the missing students.

“The whole government is going to help with this plan and I can assure you that there will be no impunity either in this sad and painful case or in any other,” Obrador said.

READ: International Figures Are Questioning The Interviews Conducted By Mexican Officials In The Ayotzinapa Missing 43 Case

Paid Promoted Stories

Mexican Restaurant Owner Threatened To Call Police And ICE On Former Guatemalan Employee Demanding Overdue Paycheck

politics

Mexican Restaurant Owner Threatened To Call Police And ICE On Former Guatemalan Employee Demanding Overdue Paycheck

An undocumented man from North Carolina was threatened that if he didn’t leave a Mexican restaurant then Immigration and Customs Enforcement Service (ICE) would be called on him. The person threatening him was his former boss Pedro Montoya. Pedro Santizo 23, came to La Fortuna, his former workplace, on March 20 after resigning requesting a $500 check he claims he is owed. Montoya, promptly threatened Santizo that he would notify police and immigration officials if he didn’t leave the restaurant.

In a shocking video, Montoya threatens Santizo and says he’ll call ICE on his former employee.

Credit: Maria Guadalupe Lupian Valentin/ Facebook

The threats against Santizo, who immigrated from Guatemala, came after he went to the store asking for $500 he was owed after working at La Fortuna for three months. A video shows Montoya telling Santizo that he will not be paying him the $500.

In the heated exchange, Santizo can be heard telling his former boss “I am going to call the cops.”

“Talk to the cops, call the cops,’ Monaya replies to him in the video before a young man who picks up a phone to call the police, while assuring that he will also call Immigration authorities.

The entire incident was captured by María Guadalupe Lupián Valentín, Santizo’s wife. According to the Daily Mail, both Santizo and his wife don’t have legal documents to reside in the United States and parents to a two-month-old baby boy.

The video clip has been viewed over 25,000 times. 

Credit: Maria Guadalupe Lupian Valentin/ Facebook

According to Lupian, the restaurant owes her husband money that was withheld from back in December when he began working there. Montoya disputes those claims in the video saying that he will not pay anything to Santizo since he was not working then.

Restuarant owners at La Fortuna say the money that Santizo is requesting “belongs to another person and that is why they were not delivered.”

According to the Televisa News, others who have previously worked at the business say they are also owed money for their work and say they were not treated correctly when they worked there. They plan to start a legal process against La Fortuna seeking damages and money.

The incident is a startling reminder of the toxic climate undocumented immigrants are facing in the U.S. Statistics show these types of interaction are on the rise. According to the NAACP, hate crimes have been steadily rising in the U.S. since President Trump took office. Social media has been key in highlighting moments like this and shedding light on the rise in hate crimes against minorities.

Here’s the video of the intense exchange over an overdue paycheck.

Les pido a todos los de wilkescounty q me ayuden a compartir este video de como este señor amenaso a mi y mi papa de llamar a la policia y immigracion porq el no quiere pagar el ultimo checke q nos deve q nos pidio al principio q iva ser de fondo ayi bien se escucha q nosotros pidimos a la buena asta q enpesaron a amenacarnos

Posted by Maria Guadalupe Lupian Valentin on Wednesday, March 20, 2019

READ: West Virginia Woman Caught On Camera Telling Mexican Restaurant Workers To Leave Her CountryS