Donald Trump is not someone to back down from a fight, even if he’s morally or factually wrong. The latest example is his relentless attacks against the Khans, a Gold Star family whose son died trying to save his military unit in Iraq. Khizr Khan made headlines when he delivered a speech at the Democratic National Convention that questioned Trump’s knowledge of the U.S. Constitution. In response, 30 families of fallen U.S. military personnel, several of whom are Latino, sent Trump a letter demanding that he apologize to Gold Star families nationwide.
Khizr Khan’s savage takedown of Donald Trump at the DNC left a lot of Americans feeling like…
Credit: Friday / New Line Cinemas
“Go look at the graves of brave patriots who died defending the United States of America,” Khan told the DNC crowd. “You have sacrificed nothing and no one.”
Naturally, Donald Trump responded by attacking this father of a fallen soldier.
“He is supposed to be up there to unite with me as a grieving father,” Carlos Arredondo, who signed the letter with his wife, told NBC Latino. “To have someone like that in charge, I don’t want someone to die in war because of his comments.”
“When you say your job building buildings is akin to our sacrifice, you are attacking our sacrifice,” the letter continues.
“We are all Gold Star Families, who have lost those we love the most in war,” the families wrote in the letter. “Ours is a sacrifice you will never know. Ours is a sacrifice we would never want you to know.”
“We feel we must speak out and demand you apologize to the Khans, to all Gold Star families, and to all Americans for your offensive, and frankly anti-American, comments,” the letter ends.
“We are a community. We’ve been together a long time, so we are very concerned with these comments that they’ve made,” Arredondo told NBC Latino. “I don’t want this to get out of hand with dividing people. That’s the way politics happens.”
Update July 15, 2020: According to a senior member of Kanye’s campaign, the rapper has officially suspended his campaign for president as it became increasingly obvious he’d face difficulties getting the several state’s ballots.
It’s official: Kanye West suspends his campaign for President of the United States.
After 11-days of intrigue and anxiety, Americans finally know that there will not be a Kanye West presidency – at least not for the foreseeable future. The Grammy-award winning rapper has suspended his 2020 campaign for president, according to a senior campaign member.
On July 14, a member of West’s campaign team confirmed that, even after amassing a 180-person campaign team in Florida, West would no longer be running. “He’s out. All our stuff is canceled,” Steve Kramer, a member of West’s campaign team told New York Magazine’s Intelligencer. “I have nothing good or bad to say about Kanye…Any candidate running for president for the first time goes through these hiccups.”
It’s no secret that West faced an uphill battle in his quest for the Oval Office. He entered the race extremely late as a member of his own independent party he called the “Birthday Party.” And even as he announced his candidacy, he had already missed the deadline to register for the ballot in six states: North Carolina, Texas, New York, Maine, New Mexico, and Indiana.
However, Kanye West’s 2020 run for president was apparently more legit than many expected.
Many threw doubt on Kanye’s campaign from the very beginning – he had long expressed interest in running for the presidency but never followed through. But this time seemed different since he was intending to run this year. And now the extent of his seriousness is clearer than ever.
West had amassed a 180-strong campaign team and his team had been spending a lot of time trying to get on the Florida and South Carolina ballots specifically. However, to appear on Florida’s ballot, the campaign has until July 15 to collect 132,781 required signatures.
Even though West never had a real chance at winning the presidency, he did have a chance to greatly influence the outcome of the 2020 election. Just this week, a poll revealed that West had the support of about two percent of voters overall if he were to run against Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden. Although this was a small margin, if that percentage came out of either candidate’s pool of voters, it could have created enough of a divide.
News of West’s campaign came as family members expressed concern about his mental health.
According to TMZ, West is not currently on his medications and has a major bipolar episode about once a year. The family is contributing West’s Forbes interview, where he said Planned Parenthood was doing the Devil’s work and admitted to his support of President Trump. The family, however, expect West to calm down soon and return to his normal.
Original: When will 2020 finally come to an end along with all of its shenanigans? That is the question so many are wondering after yet another not so surprising bombshell of an announcement from Kanye West – who in a tweet this weekend announced his candidacy for President of the United States.
Sure, Yeezy has often times claimed to be planning a run for president. He’s said it in 2014, 2015, and 2019. What makes this time different? He says he’s running for this year – 2020 – with the election just months away.
Many are rightfully skeptical of West’s announcement but even if the rapper isn’t totally serious, his simple announcement could have serious consequences on the actual election.
Kanye West celebrated the 4th of July by announcing his intention to run for President of the United States.
It’s official, Kanye West is running for President. Allegedly. His announcement came in the form of an out-of-the-blue tweet amid the 43-year-old’s promotion for his new single, pictures of him with Elon Musk (who has voiced his support for a West presidency, FYI) and promotion of the Gap X Yeezy collaboration.
He tweeted: “We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am running for president of the United States,” followed by the hashtag #2020vision.
Now, this is far from the first time that Yeezy has revealed his intentions to join the presidential election at some point in the future.In fact, just last year the rapper said he planned to run for the presidency in 2024: “When I run for president in 2024, we would’ve created so many jobs that I’m not going to run, I’m going to walk.”
So no one should be surprised that West has once again announced a potential run. But we are. And it’s largely because he says he’s planning a run for this year – 2020 – with the election just months away.
However, West hasn’t yet fulfilled any of the legal requirements to launch an actual candidacy.
Despite his hastily announced ‘candidacy,’ West has yet to fulfill a single requirement to actually run for president. So his tweet was rightfully met with scepticism, given that we are only four months away from when Americans are supposedly heading to the polls.
If West was serious about running, he’ll have to do so as an Independent – which is still technically possible. But deadlines for those intending to run in several states have already passed. However, there is still time to register in some states, but for Texas, New Mexico, Indiana, Maine and North Carolina the deadline has passed. For the majority of other states, the deadline is August.
According to the BBC, West does not appear to have registered his name with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) for November’s election. The closest name the FEC database shows is a candidate called “Kanye Deez Nutz West”, who filed their papers with the Green Party in 2015 under the address “1977 Golddigger Avenue, Suite Yeezus” and appears to have raised no money.
Even though he hasn’t legally started his campaign, even a potential candidacy could have a major impact on the 2020 race.
Over the years, Kanye has appeared to show support for both democrats and republicans since his rise to fame. He once denounced Republican president George W. Bush, famously accusing him of not ‘caring about Black people’ during the tragic Hurricane Katrina. However, in recent years, he has declared his support for Trump, both verbally and symbolically, by wearing a Make America Great Again red cap and holding meetings with Trump.
So as far as what a Kanye West presidency would like like…is anyone’s guess.
However, an even bigger concern is the rapper’s planned candidacy and how it could potentially help Trump’s bid for reelection. Anyone who may have voted for Trump in the past but is now on the fence, could see in Kanye a middle ground between Trump and Biden, Many fear a repeat of Jill Stein’s candidacy in 2016 that many say helped push the election in Trump’s favor.
Some fear that some torn between voting between Trump and Biden would instead make a protest vote for West – which could again throw the 2020 election to Trump. Even if West isn’t an official candidate on the 2020 ballot, many fear that people could write in his name.
Even though many expect his candidacy to be a publicity stunt, the Internet exploded with amazing memes.
Social media users have reacted both with shocking and hilarious tweets following the rapper’s tweet.
Many viewed West’s announcement as a publicity stunt just meant to add fuel to the dumpster fire that is 2020.
The year started off with record-setting Australian brush fires, an Amazon jungle burning to the ground, then came Coronavirus and a global pandemic and the continued murder of unarmed Black men by U.S. police forces followed by a massive movement for racial equality – 2020 has been one hell of a ride. And many think Kanye may simply be trying to get his name in the calendar of events.
Could the White House be a set for the Kardashian’s hit reality show?
Even though Donald Trump has basically already turned the White House into a reality TV set, the Kardashian’s could make it a real deal. They’re hit TV show is now in its 18th and allegedly finally season, but a chance to film in the White House could definitely help reignite the franchise.
Share this story with all of your friends by tapping our little share buttons below!
It’s no surprise that the Trump administration has been full of surprises. Over the last 3 1/2 years, headline after headline have left many of us wondering what the actual f*** is going on inside the White House?
Over the last few weeks, a steady stream of people closely connected to the president – from family members to former cabinet members – have released books, given interviews, and spoken out about the commander-in-chief and many of the revelations are outright terrifying.
Donald Trump considered the idea of selling Puerto Rico in 2017 after the island was devastated by Hurricane Maria.
Ever since Hurricane Maria pummeled Puerto Rico in 2017, President Trump has expressed displeasure with the U.S. territory. After trying to limit recovery funds provided to the island last year, he finally signed a long-overdue disaster aid bill before taking to Twitter to declare himself the “best thing that ever happened” to Puerto Rico.
However, according to a New York Times story, Trump floated the idea of selling Puerto Rico so he wouldn’t have to deal with the issue any further. Elaine Duke, a Republican who served as acting head of Homeland Security from July to December 2017, told the Times in an interview, “The president’s initial ideas were more of as a businessman, you know: Can we outsource the electricity? Can we sell the island? You know, or divest of that asset?”
The latest revelation is just the latest in a string of attacks and disdain for the island territory from the Trump administration.
Hurricane Maria devastated the island – three years later it’s still struggling to rebound.
The 2017 hurricane season was one for the record books. And Puerto Rico was front and center in a particularly destructive season. Hurricane Maria struck the island and caused $43 billion to $159 billion in damage to the island and left nearly 3,000 people dead. The island continues to rebuild and that’s in no small part to the incompetence of both local leaders and the Trump administration.
In the wake of Maria, Trump and Puerto Rican officials blamed each other amid the island’s recovery, with the president faulting local officials for their management of relief funds. San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz criticized the administration for the delay in federal response to hurricane recovery, prompting the president to target Cruz in several tweets, and call her “incompetent.”
Things got so heated that White House officials told congressional leaders and appropriators not to give any more money to Puerto Rico in November 2018, CNN noted. However, the Washington Post reported a relief fund of $17 billion was released in January with tough restrictions. Administration officials attributed the delay to corruption concerns, but critics said the postponement was political.
Trump has consistently denied any fault for his administration in the aftermath of the storm. The President has instead sought praise for his handling of Hurricane Maria, calling it “an incredible, unsung success” last year.
As shocking as the suggestion is, it’s not the first time Trump has floated similar ideas.
The idea of selling Puerto Rico – just to avoid having to put in any work – is so Trumpian that the allegation sounds extremely likely true. And the incident is hardly the first in which Trump has worn his “businessman” hat in the Oval Office.
Last August, the Wall Street Journal reported that the president, in conversation with top aides “with varying degrees of seriousness,” floated the idea of purchasing Greenland. The gigantic Arctic island, which is rapidly melting thanks to climate change, is a self-ruling part of Denmark and is definitely not for sale. Trump nevertheless apparently believed that Greenland could somehow be purchased. In fact, a 2019 New York Times article reported that a former official heard the president joke that he would be happy to trade Puerto Rico for Greenland.
For Dukes part, she believes that the whole point of Trump’s plan one to be mean. She tells the Times, that “There is a singular view that strength is mean, that any kind of ability to collaborate, or not be angry is a weakness.” She said Trump embraces “hate-filled, angry and divisive” language that distracts from the real issues.
Duke is the latest former top White House security official to denounce Trump’s handling of the job, joining Kelly, former Secretary of Defense James Mattis and former national security adviser John Bolton.
Share this story with all of your friends by tapping our little share buttons below!