#mitúWORLD

People Who Used To Live At Oakland’s Ghost Ship Are Not Surprised By The Fire

The latest news from the Oakland Ghost Ship fires has the death toll at 36.

A dance party on Dec. 2 turned tragic when a fire broke out in the Ghost Ship Artist Collective warehouse in Oakland, Calif. So far, authorities have not released a cause for the fire as they continue to search for more victims. Here’s what we know so far.

The Ghost Ship was hosting an EDM dance party.


The warehouse was a regular place for DJs and electronic dance music lovers to gather and dance, according to The Ghost Ship’s website.

The death toll is up to 36 people with 70 percent of the building searched.


As of Dec. 5, authorities have confirmed that 36 bodies have been removed from the warehouse with 11 being positively identified. So far, only seven names have been released.

Eleven victims have been positively identified but authorities have only released 7 names.


Authorities are still working to identify the rest of the victims and are withholding the new names in respect of the victims’ families. One name of the original 8 identified was not released because the victim was a minor.

There still isn’t an official cause for the fire, according to authorities.


There has been an investigation opened into determining the cause of the fire.

The founder of the warehouse collective, Derick Ion, was illegally renting the space to artists and throwing parties.


According to USA Today, Ion never bothered to secure the permits necessary to use the warehouse for housing and parties. “Those permits had not been taken out,” Darin Ranelletti, the director of Planning and Building at the city of Oakland, told the press during a news conference, according to USA Today.

Ion has pissed people off with his insensitive Facebook post about the fire.


In a post in his now deleted Facebook page, Ion mourns the loss of, “Everything I worked so hard for.” People were quick to point out that he ignored the people who died in the fire.

There have been several complaints made about the safety and maintenance of the warehouse.


“I was not shocked that [the fire] happened. I was saddened that so many people had to die for the truth to come out,” Shelley Mack, who used to live at Ghost Ship, said during a press conference, according to KRON. Mack added that there were “all kinds of electrical cords running through there illegally. Massive extension cords. Heavy musical equipment. That place was just a death trap. I didn’t think it was going to last this long before it went up or somebody shut it down.”

This story is still developing and we will bring you updates as they become available.


READ: Remembering The Victims Of The Orlando Shooting, Many Of Whom Were Latino

Share this story with all of your friends by tapping that little share button below!

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Residents Cite Negligence After Mexico City Train Collapse Leaves At Least 23 Dead

Things That Matter

Residents Cite Negligence After Mexico City Train Collapse Leaves At Least 23 Dead

A segment of a Mexico City Metro train line with a history of structural problems collapsed on Monday night leaving nearly two dozen dead and many more injured. As the dust begins to settle, many residents of the city are already pointing fingers at local officials who have done little to ensure the line’s safety.

Mexico’s President Andres Manuel López Obrador has said that his government will allow for a transparent investigation and will “hide nothing” from the public but many have little faith in the government to do what’s right.

Mexico City Metro train collapses and leaves 23 people dead and many more injured.

A metro train traveling on an overpass in the southeastern part of Mexico City collapsed late on Monday, killing at least 23 people and injuring more than 70. One person trapped in a car underneath the wreckage was pulled out alive.

The two train carriages were seen hanging from the structure, above a busy road. This is the deadliest incident in decades in the city’s metro system, one of the busiest in the world.

A crane was sent to the scene to stabilize the carriages amid concerns they could fall onto the road, which forced officials to temporarily halt rescue efforts at night.

In chaotic scenes, anxious friends and relatives of those believed to be on the train gathered in the area. Efraín Juárez told AFP news agency that his son was in the wreckage. “My daughter-in-law called us. She was with him and she told us the structure fell down over them.”

Gisela Rioja Castro, 43, was looking for her 42-year-old husband, who always take that train after work and had not been answering his phone. She said the authorities had no information about him. “Nobody knows anything,” she told the Associated Press.

Mexico City’s metro system is one of the world’s busiest but has long suffered from underfunding.

Mexico City’s metro system is one of the most used in the world, carrying tens of millions of passengers a week. In North America, only New York’s subway carries more people every day. Yet the incident did not occur on one of the older lines, which have been through at least two major earthquakes in the past 35 years. Rather it happened on Line 12, completed as recently as October 2012.

There will be difficult questions for the mayor’s office to come about the construction of the line, including for several former mayors.

They include Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard, who was in office when Line 12 was unveiled and who championed the metro’s expansion. He called the accident a “terrible tragedy”.

Mexico City’s current mayor has promised a thorough investigation.

The tragedy puts the spotlight on Mayor Sheinbaum and Foreign Affairs Minister Marcelo Ebrard, two key allies of President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador who are both seen as early front-runners to be Mexico’s next president. Lopez Obrador said at the Tuesday briefing that his government would “hide nothing” from the public about the accident.

Sheinbaum, who has been mayor for more than two years, said the city was going to inspect the entire Line 12, on the southeast side of the city, which she said had been undergoing regular maintenance. She said the rest of the subway lines are safe, though she pointed out that as recently as January, the metro system had had another major problem, a fire in the main control room that stalled operations through mid-February.

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Katherine Díaz, Salvadorian Surfing Star and Olympic Hopeful, Died After Being Struck By Lightening

Things That Matter

Katherine Díaz, Salvadorian Surfing Star and Olympic Hopeful, Died After Being Struck By Lightening

Photo via isasurfing/Instagram

A tragedy born from a freak accident is rocking El Salvador’s athletic community today. On Friday, El Salvador surfing star and Olympic hopeful, Katherine Diaz, died after being struck by lightening. She was training for an Olympic qualifier.

According to reports, lightning struck and killed 22-year-old Katherine Díaz right after she entered the water at El Tunco beach.

“Katherine came over to hug her [friend], as soon as she finished hugging her, the noise was heard,” her uncle Beto Dia “She, the friend, was thrown by the force of the lightning strike too, the board threw me back. Katherine died instantly.”

According to NBC News, onlookers pulled Katherine Diaz to the shore and attempted to revive her, but by that time, it was too late.

Her family, of course, is mourning the loss of their loved one. “We were very close,” her sister, Erika Diaz said to a local publication. “Katherine was a girl full of energy, with a free spirit who made everyday feel worthwhile. Unfortunately, she left us.” But Erika said she is glad that her sister passed while doing what she loved the most–surfing.

Katherine Díaz had dedicated her life to the complicated and rewarding sport of surfing.

Katherine Díaz Hernández had been surfing since she was 9-years-old. The 22-year-old was training to qualify for the 2021 Summer Olympics–the first time surfing would ever appear at the international games.

El Salvador’s surfing federation, FESASURF, released a statement lauding Díaz for her talent. “Katherine was a girl very passionate about sports, she was very motivated and happy for the event that was approaching.”

The International Surfing Association posted a tribute to Diaz on their Instagram page.

“Katherine embodied the joy and energy that make surfing so special and dear to us all, as a global ambassador of the sport,” they wrote. “She excelled at the international competition level, representing her country with pride at both the ISA World Surfing Games and ISA World Junior Surfing Championship.”

“We send our heartfelt condolences to Katherine’s family, the surfers of El Salvador, and to all those in the international surfing community whose lives she touched. We will never forget you.”

El Salvador’s surfing community has planned a “paddle-out” ceremony that is traditional in the death of a surfer.

According to Surfer Today, a paddle-out ceremony is “an ocean-based ceremony consisting of a mix of spiritual, metaphysical, and ritual actions that acknowledge, remember, and celebrate a fallen peer.”

“It’s a symbolic rite of passage that showcases traces of connection and separation, departure, and continuity.”

Katherine Díaz’s funeral services were on Saturday morning. The paddle-out ceremony will be held on Tuesday.

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com