Fidel Alejandro Castro Ruz led Cuba as Prime Minister from 1959-1976 and again as President from 1976-2008. He was considered ruthless by many, while others called him a revolutionary hero.
As told by this AJ+ video, here are five standouts from his time as leader of Cuba:
1. Castro survived more than 600 assassination attempts by the CIA.
2. He led the world to the brink of nuclear war during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
3. Under his rule, Cuba reached a 99.7% literacy rate.
4. He cracked down on dissent and was accused of killing and jailing political opponents and journalists.
5. He gave all Cubans free healthcare, thus increasing the amount of doctors in Cuba.
Watch the entire video below:
Fidel Castro led Cuba for nearly 50 years. Here are five things you need to know about his rule.
Posted by AJ+ on Saturday, November 26, 2016
Share the knowledge by clicking the share button below!