If You Are Millennial And Latino, Chances Are You Are Pro-Immigrant
The Pew Research Center recently released a new poll about how Americans feel about immigrants, having a border wall and having a pathway to legal status. The survey breaks the responses down by age, race and political affiliation. Here are some of the more interesting takeaways from it.
1. Bernie Sanders supporters are more likely to oppose a border wall than Hillary Clinton supporters.
According to the study, 83 percent of Clinton supporters oppose the border wall compared to 91 percent of Sanders supporters.
2. Trump supporters are more likely to agree with a border wall than both Cruz and Kasich supporters. *sarcastic shock*
Eighty-four percent of registered Republican voters supporting Trump support a border wall, while 64 percent of Cruz supporters and 45 percent of Kasich voters support a border wall.
3. Whites love the border wall more than Latinos, and Latinos want a border wall more than blacks.
— NTRSCTN (@NTRSCTN) March 6, 2016
Forty-three percent of white people said they favored a border wall compared to 16 percent of Latino respondents and 13 percent of black respondents.
4. The older you are, the more likely you are to support a border wall with Mexico.
— Alan Emtage (@alanemtage) December 17, 2015
Only 20 percent of Millennials support a border wall. Compare this to the 36 percent of Generation Xers, (older) 43 percent of Baby Boomers (even older) , and 47 percent of the Silent Generation (oldest) who share that sentiment.
5. The American public likes the idea of a pathway to legal status for undocumented immigrants already here.
You read that right. According to Pew Research Center, 75 percent of the American public FAVORS a pathway to legal status for undocumented immigrants while just 23 percent are against such a program.
6. Again, Democrats are coming through with a majority of Democratic people supporting a pathway to legal status.
Democratic support for a pathway to legal status is up from 82 percent in September to 88 percent. In contrast, Republicans have become even more opposed, going from 65 percent last September, to 59 percent now.
7. A pathway to legal status for undocumented immigrants is just about the only thing all generations agree on.
While Millennials are most receptive to a pathway to legal status at 82 percent, 73 percent of Generation Xers, 71 percent of Baby Boomers and 70 percent of the Silent Generation are also in favor.
Register to vote today by downloading the Latinos Vote app for iOS and Android. Our voice matters. #WeAreAmerica
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at email@example.com