Mother and Son Die in Car While Dad Shoveled Snow During Snowzilla

An unexpected death during Winter Storm Jonas has rattled our nation. But it wasn’t a direct cause of the storm in this case…carbon monoxide killed a mother and her son in New Jersey during the blizzard that ravaged through the East Coast this past weekend.

While her husband, Felix Bonilla, was outside digging the car out of the snow, Sashalynn Rosa, their daughter, 3, and son, 1, kept warm inside the car. Unbeknownst to anyone, the tailpipe clogged with snow, flooding the inside of the car with carbon monoxide. Both Rosa and their son were killed and their daughter critically injured within minutes — she is fighting for her life after being rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

Bonilla’s father, and grandfather of the children, told NBC New York: “I can’t even express how I feel right now; I got no words. My son, he can’t even say nothing, he can’t even move, he can’t even talk.”

Isabel Carmona, one of the neighbors described the scene and said, “The paramedic, he cry, and the police cry; everybody cry.”

While everyone knows of the dangers of carbon monoxide, which is a color and odorless gas, authorities have released important information to caution the public: “Remove snow from car exhaust pipe before sitting in car and letting it warm up. Failure to remove snow can result in carbon monoxide poisoning. Be sure there is ample room for air to circulate in front and behind your car to allow any exhaust to dissipate and not build up around your car.”

Read more about this tragedy here.

Don’t forget to share this story with your friends by clicking the button below!

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com