9 Times Lin-Manuel Miranda Was The Internet’s Boyfriend
The internet really, truly and completely adores Lin-Manuel Miranda. And with good reason! Not only does he write, compose and star in hit musicals (“In The Heights,” or this little show you might’ve heard of called “Hamilton“), he’s also brought home awards and has eloquently and passionately spoken out about Puerto Rico’s debt crisis. Also, he can rock a ponytail like few others.
Here are more reasons why he’s the whole internet’s collective boyfriend:
1. He’s the overachieving dream man your mom would love.
"the man is non stop!" pic.twitter.com/rf8SKlRHne
— Bim Adewunmi (@bimadew) July 1, 2016
When does he even sleep???
2. He has great taste in music.
We’re sure Jay understands.
3. He’s teamed up with fellow Boricua J.Lo for a phenomenal cause.
— Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin_Manuel) July 4, 2016
The two are collaborating on a song that will benefit The Hispanic Federation’s #SomosOrlando project, created in recognition of the Pulse shooting’s majority Latino victims.
4. He can freestyle like no one’s business:
Also, extra points for that bright blue suit. Dayum.
5. Dude is a multiple award winner.
Damn, leave some for everybody else, dude. Some of us just got a Good Citizen certificate in first grade y, ya, se acabó.
6. …Including a lil’ thing known as the MacArthur “Genius Grant.”
You can listen to him talk about it and his creative process, above.
7. …And his acceptance speeches will move you to tears every time.
“Love is love is love is love…”
8. Did we mention the ponytail?
It’s just so majestic. (Pretend there’s a gif here of him shaking his ponytail in slow-motion.)
9. He is endearingly very great/bad at Periscope.
“Is this in selfie mode?” Who knows, Lin-Manuel. Who ever knows?
8. He knows how to make people pay attention to important issues close to his heart.
Look, we know as well as anyone that it’s really hard to get people to engage with serious news stories. People might ask why a serious story — like, say, about Puerto Rico’s ongoing debt crisis — isn’t given more attention, while rarely ever reading or sharing these stories themselves. That’s why Lin-Manuel was so smart to educate people about Puerto Rico in shareable song form on HBO’s “Last Week Tonight.” That’s how you reach people, and he knows that very well.
9. He’s a nerd, kinda like you and me.
I mean. Dude literally wrote a musical about Alexander Hamilton. That’s high-level nerdery. And, being that the internet is nothing if not a gathering place for nerds to come together and nerd out collectively, we absolutely love it.
Did we miss anything? Are you writing “Ms./Mr. Lin-Manuel Miranda” on the margins of your (virtual) notebook at this very moment? Don’t lie.
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at email@example.com