OK, let’s begin.
1. Ok, “Latinas in STEM” is a nice start to this little adventure. Good job, internet!
2. Pfft. What as I so worried about?
3. Now let’s try searching “Latina women.” The top promoted result for that one is… “gorgeous women.”
4. Which, true. We are gorgeous.
5. Oh, wait. It’s an ad…
6. …For Latina mail-order brides?!
7. No thanks.
8. We like our pollo delivered, not our people.
9. Let’s check Google Images and see what’s going on there…
10. Many gorgeous ladies!
11. (I mean, like I said before: Duh. We’re all gorgeous.)
12. But why does Google think all Latinas come in one skin tone?
13. Luckily, the Google Image section is also filled with educational facts:
14. Ok, I’m done with Google Images. Let’s try Tumblr.
15. Ok, well. I see an issue with grammar, for one.
Credit: Tumblr / mitú
16. And that poor girl lost her bikini top. La pobre.
17. Oh, there’s some diversity. Thanks, I guess?
18. Ok, I think we get it, Tumblr. Now let’s check Instagram.
19. So Instagram really wants you to be aware that Latinas do, in fact, have mammary glands. Got it!
20. Oh, and plenty of memes about Latinas being psycho girlfriends.
21. Like I-will-kill-your-ass-level psycho.
22. A lot of memes about dudes wanting to, yet being scared to, date us.
23. For the record, some of us are just single because we’re REALLY busy.
24 And some of us are single because some men (#notalldudes, I know, I know) can be pendejos.
25. And some of us – gasp!– don’t date men!
26. Do you think the internet knows that? Because I don’t think so.
27. Wait, did I mention the internet thinks we’re crazy violent?
28. Like the sheer amount of “crazy Latina girlfriend” memes is kinda ridic.
29. Oh, and even though we hail from upwards of 20 completely different countries, we can be narrowed down usually to 2 segments:
A photo posted by @meetbraziliangirls on
30. I think, more accurately, this means there are two types of people searching the Latina tag…
31. Latinas who want to see how we’re represented…
32. …And assholes.
33. Dear Instagram, if I’m an A-Cup, am I still Latina or nah?
A photo posted by Regina Castañeda ? (@ohreg) on
34. These photos are like 89.3 percent boobies.
35. I need to buy nicer underwear.
36. And I need all these girls’ workout secrets.
37. More photos with lots of skin… But wait! Found a relatable one:
????? #DominicanGirlfriend #Dominicana #NoviaDominicana #LoveADominican #latinasbelike #girlfriendsbelike #latinaproblems #Dominican #DominicanRepublic #DominicansBeLike #SoyDominicana #RepublicaDominicana #SantoDomingo #PuntaCana
A photo posted by Dominican Girlfriend (@dominicangirlfriend) on
38. Toilet phone call muting skill level = expert.
39. Naked funny is the funniest funny.
40. And Instagram has a lot of really nice selfies, too:
A photo posted by B E A T R I C E F L Y (@beatricefly) on
A photo posted by Be Gentle With Yourself (@sandyfitlife) on
41. Hmmm. Why do these photos feel so different from the rest?
42. Ohhhh wait, it’s because it’s Latinas posting about ourselves.
43. This is why selfies are actually important.
44. Wait, I do see one positive stereotype in these photos Latinas post of ourselves…
45. …We’re confident AF.
46. In our relationships…
A photo posted by Carolina? (@caroluvz_4) on
47. In our work…
A photo posted by Pat/Patz/Patsi/Patty-whatever. (@lipstick.n.bruises) on
48. And in each other.
A photo posted by Ronelle King (@iamxilomen) on
49. So maybe we can be categorized?
50. As unapologetically ourselves.
A photo posted by Frankenstein Gutierrez (@deckofstudz77) on
What do you think about when you see Latinas represented online? Mitú wants to know. Tell us in the comments.