Vegan Cuban Style Ham Croquetas
10 Servings / Prep-Cook Time: 25 min
- 1 5.5oz Package vegan ham
- 2 tbsp Vegan butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup Finely diced onion
- 3/4 cup Cashew Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Ground oregano
- 1 tsp Ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 small pinch Sugar
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- 2 cups Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Cashew cream (or unsweetened non-dairy milk)
- 1/4-1/2 cup Safflower oil (for frying)
- First, grind up your vegan ham into a paste either in a blender(with plunger) or food processor. Add about 2 tbsp of cashew, or water, cream to help it along. Once ground, set aside.
- In a small to medium pan, melt your butter over medium heat and once hot add your minced onion. Allow onions to cook until soft and translucent. Do not burn onions, reduce heat if necessary. Once onions are cooked, reduce heat to medium-low and add the cashew cream, garlic powder, oregano, coriander, salt, sugar, and liquid smoke to the pan. Stir together until well combined and cashew cream begins to thicken. When cashew cream is a thick sauce, add ground ham. Mix the ham and cashew sauce thoroughly until fully incorporated. Next, add 1/2 cup of your bread crumbs, or cracker meal, and combine together in the pan until you begin to see a dough like consistency. Remove immediately from the pan and place in a dish and allow to completely cool in your fridge for at least 30min.
- Once croquette dough is cooled, set up one shallow dish with 2 cups of bread crumbs in one dish and 1 cup of cashew cream in the other. With the croqueta dough, form little rolls and dip in the cream then coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Once your croquetas are formed, begin heating a pan with about 1/4-1/2 cup of cooking oil. Once the oil is piping hot begin adding the croquetas to the pan. You just want to get them golden on each side, as the filling does not need cooking. Once they are cooked, serve immediately as hors-d’oeuvres or make them into a sandwich with fresh baguette bread, vegan cheddar cheese, and mustard.
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org