Dancing Abuelitas Are The Youtube Sensation That Will Feed Your Soul
Mother’s Day is just around the corner, and you know what that means! It will soon be time for us to find ways to show the mother-figures in our lives how much we appreciate them. Some of our favorite mother figures are our abuelas–the older women in our lives who never fail to offer us kindness, wisdom, love, and of course, a hefty dose of silliness on occasion. We all know an abuela or two who prides herself in being the life of the party.
There’s something refreshing about seeing a family member from an older generation feeling free to let loose and show off her goofy side. It’s a great reminder that, although your body gets older, your sense of fun never truly ages. To celebrate Mother’s Day, and all the women that have taken such good care of us throughout our lives, we present to you 20 videos of abuelas getting their groove on. Enjoy!
1. This abuela could’ve been a flygirl in another life
This clip of the 96-year-old grandmother dancing perfectly to a choreographed dance along with her family members went viral recently. We have to admire this abuela for memorizing all of these steps and not missing a beat. We couldn’t even do that now!
2. This abuela is definitely living her best life
Honestly, this woman’s lifestyle is #goals. What we wouldn’t give to be chilling at home in the kitchen, dancing, and drinking a nice cold cerveza.
3. This abuela gives new meaning to the term “young at heart”
Let’s be real: this grandma’s moves puts most of us millennial to shame. We’ll admit that even we struggle with nailing “the floss”. Maybe she could give us lessons sometime?
4. This video is proof that the talent for dance is hereditary
A while back, Camila Cabello posted an adorable video of herself getting jiggy with her abuela on the dance floor. Watching the video never fails to melt our hearts.
5. This abuela’s twerking puts Cardi B. to shame.
We can practically read this abuela’s thoughts. She’s thinking: “Where has reggaeton been all my life?”.
6. This abuela took some dance lessons from the TV
This abuela just showed us all that it’s never too late to learn some new moves.
7. This abuela was kind enough to teach her grandson what real dancing looks like
Before there was twerking, or the floss, or event the carlton, there was the steady one-two-step movements of the classic waltz–and you can tell this abuela knows a thing or two about waltzing.
8. This abuela lit up the family home with her dance moves
This video is the perfect example of how, often, the best bonding moments in Latinx families are centered around music.
9. This heart-warming video of an abuela dancing with her grandson
We love seeing how gentle and considerate this young man is. We’re sure this dance made his abuela’s night. It proves that chivalry really isn’t dead!
10. This abuela got a little too excited
We get it. Sometimes you’re so excited to get in on the action that you don’t have time to look where you’re going. Then, before you know it, you’re on the floor. We’ve been there.
11. This well-dressed abuela is hot enough to be a super-cougar
The jewelry. The off-the-shoulder blouse. This woman deserves a residency in Vegas alongside JLo.
12. This abuela is just being a good sport about dancing on Snapchat
Even this abuela can’t resist the pull of a truly catchy Taylor Swift bop. We’re so glad her granddaughter was smart enough to document it on Snapchat so the rest of us could enjoy the cuteness overload!
13. This abuela’s sense of humor is contagious
We love how all her reservations seem to go right out the window when she’s dancing.
14. This abuela’s hips don’t lie
One general rule of life is: if you happen to get into a dance-off with your abuela, accept the fact that you will most definitely lose.
15. This abuela possibly loves Drake more than we do
Look at those leg movements! We have a feeling this might be the next big “Fortnite” dance trend.
16. This abuela is tearing up the dance floor
We could watch this abuela dance all day! Just look at the foot work.
17. This abuela’s moves are too good to be true
We can just imagine this abuela hitting the floor and mesmerizing her line of suitors with her dance moves back in the day. She has real talent!
18. This abuela doesn’t let sitting down stop her from busting a move
Even at her age, her joie de vivre is in full-swing. We love to see abuelas bonding with the younger generations of their families.
19. This abuela is spry enough to keep up with her energetic granddaughter
If we did as much spinning as this young girl, we’d be on the floor by now. Props to this abuelita for keeping up!
20. And of course, the #1 abuelita of all time…
You didn’t think we’d make a list of dancing abuelas without adding Abuelita from “One Day at a Time”, did you? We would never. Rita Moreno’s portrayal of the sassy matriarch to the Inclán family never fails to deliver us dance moves that keep us rolling on the floor all day. She’s definitely the queen of all dancing grandmas.
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at email@example.com