Fierce

Cardi B Is Pro-Bernie Sanders But She’s Still Keeping Her Options Open For 2020

Cardi B is getting political again.

Our favorite rapper-slash-pundit talked about her disdain for President Donald Trump and dished on which Democratic presidential contenders have caught her eye so far in a red-carpet interview with Variety on Friday.

Recalling how fiercely the “Please Me” rapper criticized Trump’s government shutdown earlier this year, the publication asked Cardi what she would text or DM the president should she have the opportunity.

“I hate him. I just hate him. I don’t even want to get political, you know what I’m saying,” she said, letting out a major sigh.

But the Bronx hitmaker isn’t against all white male candidates. In fact, two, Bernie Sanders (D-VT) and Tim Ryan (D-OH), are among her top choices at the moment.

Cardi, who supported Sanders in the 2016 primaries against Hillary Clinton, said while she still hasn’t made a decision on who she’d be supporting in the next election, she’s going to “always go with Bernie.” The reason: “This is the thing, right? Bernie don’t say things to be cool. Like, there’s pictures of him being an activist from a very, very, very long time [ago].”

But she’s not completely sold on the Vermont senator just yet. Another contender, Ryan, has also piqued the Dominican-Trinidadian star’s interest.

“I was watching the news, and I saw this guy named Tim Ryan. And his speech was very convincing to me,” Cardi said. “He really wants to give the United States free health care, so that’s a big plus. We need health care. So I don’t know. We’ll see.”

Earlier this month, Cardi posted an instastory where she shared her enthusiasm for the Ohio politician’s speech on free healthcare for all, though she stated she still did not trust him.

In response, the representative, a cosponsor on Rep. Pramila Jayapal’s (D-WA) Medicare for All legislation, tweeted to the rapper, saying, “Every American deserves quality health care, period. Hope to earn your trust, @iamcardib.”

If free universal healthcare is on the top of Cardi’s list of issues that she’s taking into account when making the decision of who she’ll be voting for, she has a lot of candidates to sift through.  Most of the Democratic candidates in the crowded 2020 field have endorsed Medicare for All, including Sanders, who was long one of its few proponents.

Good thing for Cardi is she, like all of us, still has time to research more on all of the candidates before making her decision.

Read: Trump Wants To Release Detained Immigrants Into Sanctuary Cities And Democrats Are Demanding Answers On The Controversial Plan

Recommend this story by clicking the share button below!

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Romeo Santos Streaming Historic MetLife Stadium Concert Next Month

Latidomusic

Romeo Santos Streaming Historic MetLife Stadium Concert Next Month

For those who missed Romeo Santos’s historic MetLife Stadium concert in 2019, the king of bachata is going to release the show to streaming next month. The former Aventura frontman will also release a documentary on his meteoric rise.

Romeo Santos broke many records for his MetLife Stadium concert in 2019.

Starting with the announcement of his MetLife Stadium concert, Santos broke record after record. First, he became the first Latin artist to headline the massive New Jersey Stadium. After tickets went on sale, Santos became the first Latin artist to sell out the venue.  When the concert kicked off on Sept. 21, he then broke the record for the highest-grossing show in the stadium’s history. Before Romeo, the top-grossing record belonged to the Irish band U2.

Aventura and Cardi B joined Romeo Santos during that show.

Santos’ MetLife Stadium concert was not only historic for the records. The concert was also major for his reunion with Aventura. The guys came back together to perform “Inmortal” live from Santos’ Utopía album. That night Cardi B also joined Aventura to perform the band’s classic “Obsesión.”

Fans can see the MetLife Stadium show and a Romeo Santos documentary next month.

Santos is teaming up with Sony Music Latin, Endeavor Streaming, and iNDemand to release Romeo Santos: Utopía Live from MetLife Stadium on June 25. On the same night, Santos will also release his documentary Romeo Santos: The King of Bachata. Fans can buy their tickets to both pay-per-view events on his official website.

“These films have been such a special project for me and I’m honored and eager to show it to the world and pull back the curtain on the history of bachata,” Santos said in a statement. “For the film to showcase my upbringing and build up to my performance at MetLife Stadium, it gives me the opportunity to relieve one of the most incredible nights of my life while also bringing it inside the homes of my fans across the world.” 

Guests appearing in the films include Daddy Yankee, Emilio Estefan, Marc Anthony, Tommy Mottola, and Thalía. It’s because of that iconic MetLife Stadium show that Santos is nominated for Latin Touring Artist of the Decade at this year’s Pollstar Awards.

Click here for Latido Music, 24/7 Latin music videos & more

Read: Romeo Santos, Gloria Trevi, Selena Gomez Nominated For Pollstar’s Latin Touring Artist of Decade

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

At Least 17 Dead And Hundreds Injured Following Massive Protests Across Colombia

Things That Matter

At Least 17 Dead And Hundreds Injured Following Massive Protests Across Colombia

A massive protest movement that swept across Colombia seems to have paid off – at least in the short term – as President Ivan Duque says that he will withdrawal the controversial tax plan that sent angry protesters into the streets. However, the protests claimed at least 17 victims who died during the unrest and hundreds more were injured.

Now that the president has withdrawn the controverial bill, many are wondering what’s next and will they have to take to the streets once again.

Massive protests claimed the lives of at least 17 people and hundreds more were injured across Colombia.

Unions and other groups kicked off marches on Wednesday to demand the government of President Ivan Duque withdraw a controversial tax plan that they say unfairly targets the most vulnerable Colombians.

Isolated vandalism, clashes between police and protesters and road blockades occurred in several cities on Saturday, and riot police were deployed in the capital.

Rights organization Human Rights Watch said it had received reports of possible police abuse in Cali, and local human rights groups alleged up to 17 deaths occurred.

After a week of protests, the government has shelved the controversial plan.

Faced with the unrest, the government of President Ivan Duque on Sunday ordered the proposal be withdrawn from Congress where it was being debated. In a televised statement, he said his government would work to produce new proposals and seek consensus with other parties and organizations.

President Duque, in his statement, acknowledged “it is a moment for the protection of the most vulnerable, an invitation to build and not to hate and destroy”.

“It is a moment for all of us to work together without paltriness,” he added. “A path of consensus, of clear perceptions. And it gives us the opportunity to say clearly that there will be no increase in VAT for goods and services.”

The tax reform had been heavily criticized for punishing the middle classes at a time of economic crisis brought on by the coronavirus pandemic. The government introduced the bill on April 15 as a means of financing public spending. The aim was to generate $6.3 billion between 2022 and 2031 to reignite the fourth largest economy in Latin America.

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com