Selena Quintanilla Will Always Be La Reina And Her Memes Are Everything
It’s been almost 25 years since Selena Quintanilla was killed by Yolanda Saldívar and devastated her fans. Back in the 1980’s she was being refused booking for being a woman singing in the mostly male-dominated Tejano genre but she pushed through and is an icon to millions. With the new internet age, it was only a matter of time till we had Selena memes for every situation. Thankfully, that day is here.
1. Sheer surprise and horror.
Seeing your teacher outside of school is one of the most shocking moments for kids. Like, why are they just here at the grocery store shopping? Don’t they live at the school? Are they going to give me a pop quiz in front of my mom?
2. There’s nothing more devastating than someone taking your food.
Your parents always told you that you were so dramatic when this happened. It’s like they don’t understand that you have been waiting for this moment all day and now someone has taken away the one thing that brought you joy. Selena gets it. Selena gets you.
3. Some of the memes are a little…much.
This is probably not a meme you want to throw around, but, tbh, me.
4. Some of the memes offer necessary and relevant relationship advice.
Okay, so Selena really understands us. We are always hungry and when our boos ask what’s wrong, it is likely the only answer.
5. This whole adulting thing is too much for some people.
She was such an icon, and so ahead of her time. You validate me, Selena. I want to be like you when I grow up.
6. Food > Everything
I’m pretty sure I use this phrase about 10 times a week. I just don’t understand why more people don’t drown themselves in pizza. It is a gift from up above.
7. She had her own food appearance moment.
Only the greats find a way to come back on food to show the world that they will not be forgotten.
8. How long until she is part of Disney royalty?
She is one of the most loved and respected musical princesses of our generation. We want to see her face all over that Disney merch.
9. She is a trendsetter that everyone tries to overlook.
Yeah. That’s right. Selena was the first celebrity to make having a butt something to be celebrated.
10. The feud that shouldn’t be.
There is room for both of them to exist in your playlist. After all, Gomez was named after Selena because her mother was such a big fan. If anything, it’s a touching homage.
11. We will never get over her.
It’s hard to imagine a world without Selena. We are living in one physically but we just can’t let her go from our hearts and minds.
12. Did we mention that she is great for relationship reactions?
That was cute, boo. *wipes tear from my smizing eye* I needed that pick-me-up. Distribute this meme widely.
13. The movie is soul crushing after all these years.
Every time. We hid our tears during high school Spanish class y, como viejos, we openly weep. 😩
14. Playing Yolanda Saldívar took courage for sure.
That’s what you call a good job. She was able to play the woman who killed Selena and made us feel that.
15. Tips on how to talk to the negative people in your life.
Modern slang is confusing and, honestly, doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.
16. “Mean Girls” quotes + Selena = My life.
Yeah. It’s a hard rule, and it’s for every day of the week and we don’t care how many Kälteen bars you’ve eaten today.
17. She encourages us to be the sleuths we are meant to be.
Every expression she makes –pensive, quizzical, sorpresa– is a work of art. So spot on.
18. She makes a better Waldo than Waldo.
Carmen Sandiego is somewhere quaking at Selena’s multiple talents.
19. She has collabed with young Cardi B for some fun time.
20. Why is she so wise in these memes? 💯
We miss you, Selena, if you’re listening. We’ll never stop loving and memorializing you. ❤️