Entertainment

Golden Boy Productions Takes A Jab At Trump In A New Canelo Vs. Chavez Jr. Ad

Amazing commercial by @goldenboyboxing for ?? #CaneloChavezJr ! #SupremeBoxing #BoxeoMexicano #Canelo #ChavezJr #Mexico #NoWall Canelo Alvarez vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. http://supremeboxinginc.com/2017/04/13/new-commercial-canelo-alvarez-vs-julio-cesar-chavez-jr-mega-fight-shows-mexicans-wont-held-back-trumps-wall/

Posted by Supreme Boxing on Thursday, April 13, 2017

Credit: Supreme Boxing

Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions is putting on a massive fight on Cinco de Mayo. In honor of the Mexican holiday, he decided to promote the match between Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez and Julio César Chávez Jr. by taking a jab at Donald Trump.

The commercial, which can be seen on DirecTV and the Dish Network, shows Álvarez and Chávez Jr. standing tall and proud while overlooking Mexico City. The two men then run fiercely towards each other and break down a large concrete wall protected with barbed wire.

De La Hoya — who’s expressed dissent about Trump since the election — told The New York Times that the ad was not meant to be subtle in any way.

“The idea of a wall was a direct hit to Donald Trump,” De La Hoya told The Times. “Obviously, given what’s taking place, and given the comments that Trump has made had really impacted many people and have rubbed many people the wrong way.” He went on to say that this commercial would let him know that “every Mexican is what he’s stated they are. Mexicans are hard workers.”

Last year, Golden Boy Promotions put together a fight between Canelo and Amir Khan partly because De La Hoya was angry over Trump’s comments about Mexicans and Muslims.

In an interview with the For The Win podcast, De la Hoya said: “Here we have an opportunity to put the most recognized Mexican champion in the ring with one of the most popular Muslim fighters in boxing, and guess what? Let’s make this happen in one of the most celebrated places in the country — Las Vegas.”

De la Hoya even invited Trump to attend the fight, and Trump said yes! However, Trump got wind of De la Hoya’s comments — he said that Trump cheats at golf –and backed out.

On that same podcast, De la Hoya was asked who’d win a fight between him and Trump. He responded by saying “Oh no. Let’s see, how long would it take me to run across the ring and punch him? And by the time they count 10, we’re talking about 20 seconds.”

READ: Can Canelo Álvarez Overtake Julio César Chávez as Mexico’s Favorite Boxer?

Who do you think will win the fight on Cinco de Mayo? Let us know by commenting below and sharing this story by tapping that little share button below!

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Oscar de La Hoya Announces That He Is Officially Coming Out of Retirement, Will Start Boxing Again in July

Entertainment

Oscar de La Hoya Announces That He Is Officially Coming Out of Retirement, Will Start Boxing Again in July

Photo via Getty Images

On Friday, boxing world champion and Olympic gold medalist Oscar de la Hoya announced that he officially coming out retirement.

The announcement that Oscar de La Hoya was coming out of retirement came at a press conference hosted by boxing and MMA enthusiast, Snoop Dogg.

Snoop Dogg teased the big announcement saying, “I smell something golden. You smell it?” before Oscar de la Hoya arrived on stage to reveal his big news.

“July 3, I’m making my comeback,” he said before dramatically dropping the mic and exiting the stage. Based on their reaction, the audience seemed excited about the news.

Oscar de la Hoya has been teasing his return to boxing for a while now.

Rumors of de la Hoya boxing again had been circulating for months. In August of last year, the Golden Boy revealed to ESPN that he did, indeed, have plans to come out of retirement.

“The rumors are true, and I’m going to start sparring in the next few weeks,” he said. “It’s a real fight. I miss being in the ring, I love boxing. Boxing is what gave me everything I have today, and I just miss it.”

Oscar de la Hoya’s last boxing match was in 2008 against Filipino world champion Manny Pacquiao.

The 2008 fight was a major loss for de la Hoya and he stopped the fight after the eighth round. After that loss, de la Hoya famously said: “I don’t have it anymore.”

At the peak of his career, Oscar de la Hoya was the top-rated fighter in the world. Since he retired from boxing, he has spent most of his energy building Golden Boy Promotions, a boxing and mixed martial arts promotion firm. He is the first Hispanic-American to own a national boxing promotional firm.

The former world champion also founded the Oscar de la Hoya foundation, which aims to “help improve the quality of life for the community in his hometown of East Los Angeles.”

De la Hoya isn’t worried about his performance, because he believes he has passion on his side. “These [young] guys are in it just for the money — that’ll be the big difference,” he told ESPN. “I will fight for the glory, and these guys only fight for the money. And guess what? The glory will always win.”

As of now, there is no word on who the Golden Boy will be fighting, although he previously said that he will fight “any top guy out there”. We’ll see how it goes!

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

J Balvin Debuts ‘Ma’ G’ with Canelo, Joins ‘Pokémon’ Album

Latidomusic

J Balvin Debuts ‘Ma’ G’ with Canelo, Joins ‘Pokémon’ Album

J Balvin had a pretty busy weekend. The Colombian superstar performed his new single “Ma’ G” at the Canelo vs. Yildirim boxing match. He also announced that he will be a part of the Pokémon 25 album.

J Balvin entered the ring with Canelo.

J Balvin performed at the big boxing match and joined Canelo Álvarez in his walk to the ring. At the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Balvin gave a fiery performance of “Ma’ G” that led into his 2018 global hit “Mi Gente.” The latter served as the soundtrack to Canelo’s epic entrance. That must’ve added to Canelo’s luck because he defeated Avni Yildirim.

J Balvin went back to his hometown for the “Ma’ G” music video.

“Ma’ G” was written by J Balvin, his longtime producer Alejandro “Sky Rompiendo” Ramírez, and “Tusa” co-writer Keityn. After tackling drill music with Eladio Carrión in “TATA,” Balvin gives the genre another spin here as he boasts about being the best. In Spanish, he says that he’s strong like Mike Tyson and he’s breaking through like Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. Balvin’s getting his swagger back with this triumphant return to his hip-hop roots.

The self-proclaimed “El niño de Medellín” returned to the city that raised him in the “Ma’ G” music video. The homecoming king got the streets dancing for him. Balvin is back with this first taste of new music from his next album.

Balvin is also joining the Pokémon franchise.

After Post Malone celebrated 25 years of Pokémon in a virtual concert on Feb. 27, J Balvin revealed that he will be part of a special compilation album. Katy Perry will join him, Posty, and other not-yet-announced artists for the Poké LP that’s due out this fall.

Read: J Balvin Gives Drill Music a Spin in Eladio Carrión’s “TATA” Music Video

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com