Entertainment

Marc Anthony’s $7 Million Yacht Went Down In Flames And The Miami Fire Rescue Doesn’t Know What Caused The Fire

The Miami Fire Rescue responded to the fire at 7:30 —which was docked at a marina on Watson Island. Initially, two fireboats arrived at the site, but the yacht was already engulfed in flames. Here’s what happened.

At 7:30 pm on Wednesday, the Miami Fire Rescue responded to a fire at a marina on Watson Island. 

Credit: Miami-Dade Fire Rescue

The boat was docked off MacArthur Causeway at the Island Gardens Marina when it caught fire on Wednesday night. The team worked to extinguish the flames before they could spread to other boats docked in the area —but the king of Salsa’s multi-million yacht was already capsized. 

The incident made it to the news.

local news reported that 45+ firefighters battled the flames and smoke from boats and the dock.

The fire escalated and got out of control.

Credit: Miami-Dade Fire Rescue

“Boat fires can quickly go from a small compartment fire into an unstoppable blaze in a matter of minutes because of the material found onboard these vessels,” Miami-Dade Fire Rescue said in a statement. Crews used fireboats to douse the blaze, which could be seen from as far away as downtown Miami according to Miami Fire Rescue Captain Ignatius Carroll.

It looks like it did ‘rain on’ Marc Anthony after all.

The yacht, named “Andiamo”, which translates to “let’s go” in Italian, was worth about $7 million, according to Yahoo. It was 36.6 meters, about 120 feet, long, according to Boat International and it took two hours to get the fire under control.

There were no reported injuries, although two crew members were aboard the yacht during the time of the fire.

Andiamo has six passenger rooms, one master bedroom, five double rooms, and one twin room. Flames were under control in two hours with the help of more than 45 firefighters.

The cause of the fire has not yet been publicly announced.

The Grammy-winning singer was not on board during the time of the fire, a representative told USA Today. The firefighters used an oil-absorbent to soak up oil on the surface of the water in order to decrease potential negative environmental impacts, according to Miami-Dade.

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

The Miami Herald Apologizes For Including Racist, Anti-Semitic Insert In Newspaper

Things That Matter

The Miami Herald Apologizes For Including Racist, Anti-Semitic Insert In Newspaper

@BillCorben / Twitter

Readers of the Miami Herald and the El Nuevo Herald noticed a racist and anti-Semitic insert in one of the latest editions. The column in the insert compared BLM activists to Nazis while talking down about the Jewish community.

The Miami Herald recently published a racist and anti-Semitic insert.

The offensive piece, written by Cuban exile Roberto Luque Escalona, received harsh and immediate backlash. Escalona expresses his displeasure for the Jewish community and those seeking racial justice by joining BLM with one column.

“What kind of people are these Jews” writes Escalona. He then continues to “teach” Jewish people the history of the Holocaust and claims that BLM supporters are worse than the Nazis during Kristallnacht, the Night of Broken Glass, because the Nazis simply destroyed things and didn’t steal.

The newspaper has apologized for the insert going so far as to admit that it was not properly vetted and that “internal failures” were at play.

According to an open letter, higher ups at the Miami Herald admit to the insert not being read and vetted by the staff. The obvious overlook led to a 40-page insert of right-wing propaganda to be distributed to the readers of both the Miami Herald and El Nuevo Herald. Since the publication, the Miami Herald claims to have ended their relationship with Libre, the insert with the racist and anti-Semitic content.

Those responsible at the Miami Herald admitted to not reading the insert before it was distributed.

“We are deeply sorry that inflammatory, racist and anti-Semitic commentary reached our el Nuevo Herald subscribers through LIBRE, a Spanish-language publication that paid our company to have the product printed and inserted into our print edition as a weekly supplement,” reads part of an open letter to readers. “The fact that no one in leadership, beginning with us, had previously read this advertising insert until this issue was surfaced by a reader is distressing. It is one of a series of internal failures that we are investigating in order to prevent this from ever recurring.”

Readers are outraged that the newspaper would allow such offensive things to be published and distributed.

The right-wing conspiracies pushed by Libre are part of a larger Spanish-language disinformation campaign targeting Cubans in southern Florida. The community has been inundated with disinformation ahead of the 2020 election preying on the fears and ignorance within the staunchly conservative Cuban community.

“It’s difficult to measure the effect exactly, but the polling sort of shows it and in focus groups it shows up, with people deeply questioning the Democrats, and referring to the ‘deep state’ in particular — that there’s a real conspiracy against the president from the inside,” Eduardo Gamarra, a pollster and director of the Latino Public Opinion Forum at Florida International University, told Politico. “There’s a strain in our political culture that’s accustomed to conspiracy theories, a culture that’s accustomed to coup d’etats.”

The disinformation is targeting Cubans because of the growing Latino communities who tend to vote Democratic.

According to Politico, the campaign is Cuban specific. The Puerto Rican, Nicaraguan, Colombian, Venezuelan, and Dominican communities in Florida, which continue to grow, typically vote Democratic. These shifting demographics have left Republicans doing anything it takes to keep a strong hold of the Cuban community, even by means of racism, anti-Semitism, and disinformation.

READ: Politicians Need To Stop Assuming That The Latino Vote Is A Monolith Because It Is Not The Truth

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Miami Marlins Covid Outbreak Causes Chaos Of MLB Season After One Weekend

Entertainment

Miami Marlins Covid Outbreak Causes Chaos Of MLB Season After One Weekend

Mitchell Leff / Getty Images

An outbreak of Covid among MLB players and coaches has postponed the highly anticipated and very hyped return of the season. It took less than a week since the sport came back for there to be a viral outbreak within the league.

The Miami Marlins are dealing with a Covid outbreak within the team before their opening games.

Half of the players for the Miami Marlins are positive for Covid-19 before the home opener against the Baltimore Orioles. The Marlins’ season has been paused through the weekend and the lineup was changed up to make sure the season can continue.

“Obviously, we don’t want any player to get exposed. It’s not a positive thing,” Commissioner Rob Manfred said Monday night on the MLB Network. “But I don’t see it as a nightmare.” He continued: “We think we can keep people safe and continue to play.”

Phillies Outfielder Andrew McCutchen took to Twitter to vent his frustration about MLB communication.

Apparently, McCutchen didn’t know that the Phillies game against the New York Yankees Tuesday was canceled until getting on Twitter. The weekend schedule was thrown into turmoil after news broke about the outbreak on the Miami Marlins. The outbreak comes as some have criticized the MLB for not trying a bubble conference, like the NBA and NHL.

Other teams in the league are showing their own discomfort with the current situation.

The Nationals were supposed to play in Miami this weekend but the surge in Covid cases in Florida put an end to that. The Washington Nationals voted to postpone and the MLB followed their lead and canceled that series.

In a statement by the MLB, the Miami Marlins are the only confirmed team to have a Covid outbreak. The league recently conducted 6,400 tests among players and coaches and haven’t found other outbreaks on the remaining 29 teams.

READ: This MLB Team Just Swore In 15 New American Citizens And Our Hearts Are Overflowing With Emotion

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com