Here Are The Latino Dolls We Had To Play With When Our Friends Were Playing With Barbie And Her DreamHouse
Most of us grew up playing with blonde Barbie dolls who looked nothing like us. I remember when the Puerto Rican Barbie doll came out, my mom bought it and wouldn’t even let me take it out of the box “porque va a valer la pena un día.” Yeah, I think she gave it to my little cousin to play with years later.
No te preocupes, because your imaginary (or not) kids will get to play with dolls that are relatable icons as soon as… well, today. Thanks to the continued push for diversity in all aspects of our lives, we are seeing dolls of color take their place in stores.
1. Camila Cabello, circa Fifth Harmony@camila_cabello / Instagram | Mattel
When Cabello was a young 15 year old in the internationally renown girl band Fifth Harmony, she got her very own Barbie doll made to her liking. What do you think? I’m loving how the singer’s style has evolved. ????????
2. Frida KahloUntitled. Digital Image. Latina. 20 July 2018. | Mattel
To be totally honest, Mattel messed up by white-washing Kahlo’s eyebrows and body hair. Where is it?! Of course, there is something to be celebrated for having the icon in Mattel’s collection, but clearly there need to be more Latinas in that office to protect our bodies.
3. Jennifer Lopez Red Carpet DollUntitled. Digital Image. Latina. 20 July 2018.
ICON. In an interview, Lopez shared her purpose, “I thought it was important to have a Latina Barbie, but a Latina Barbie that was real.” Attainable role models are important.
4. Jennifer Lopez World Tour DollUntitled. Digital Image. Huffington Post. 20 July 2018 | Mattel
J.Lo worked with Mattel to make sure that it wasn’t a generic Barbie face, but that it had her nose, and even went so far as to work with Zuhair Murad, the original designer of her iconic sleeveless jumpsuit.
5. Alex “A-Rod” Rodriguez@arod / Instagram | Untitled. Digital Image. Ebay. 5 September 2018. It’s official. You can’t have a J.Lo doll without an A-Rod to keep her company. A-Rod made his claim to fame in the ’90s pitching for the Mariners and later by pitching for the Yankees. Now, he’s covering bases for his amor, J-Lo, and we ship it so hard.
6. Mariah CareyUntitled. Digital Image. Latina. 20 July 2018.
While Mattel didn’t induct Mariah Carey into the Barbie Hall of Fame, fans took matters into their own hands and actually crocheted a similar crop top knit and offered her a mic as an accessory.
7. Selena QuintanillaUntitled. Digital Image. Latina. 20 July 2018.
After Selena passed, a limited edition collector’s doll was released, immortalizing even what the Tejano Queen wore at her last concert in February 1995 at the Houston Astrodome. This one is actually worth money.
8. Lauren Jauregui circa Fifth Harmony@laurenjauregui / Instagram | Mattel
Jauregui made up one fifth of the Fifth Harmony, entitling her to her own doll in her own fashion. Again, Mattel, white-wash much?
9. Shakira “Rockin’ Concert”@shakira / Instagram | Mattel
OK, so this is the kind of Blonde Barbie I would want my kids to look up to. The Colombiana singer was actually fashioned into multiple versions of herself in the early 2000’s, but we like to rock out to Shakira over anyone, any day.
10. Bella Thorne as Cece Jones“Mattel Disney V.I.P. CeCe Jones Fashion Doll – 2012” Digital Image. Amazon. 20 July 2018.
Bella Thorne starred as Cecelia “CeCe” Jones in the TV series “Shake It Up.” In a partnership with Disney, Mattel released a series of the Disney Channel’s most popular characters on TV.
11. Selena Gomez as Alex Russo“Mattel Wizards of Waverly Place Alex Russo Fashion Doll with Spell Book” Digital Image. Amazon. 20 July 2018.
We had the privilege of watching our very own Selena Gomez grow up thanks to her role as Alex Russo on “Wizards of Waverly Place.” Her doll comes with a spell book and the spitting image of Russo’s favorite outfit.
12. Adrienne BailonUntitled. Digital Image. Latina. 20 July 2018.
Quien es, me preguntas? She’s the OG Cheetah Girl, duh! We all remember the very creepy Bratz Cheetah Girls. Don’t worry, you won’t be triggered here.
13. Victoria JusticeUntitled. Digital Image. Latina. 20 July 2018.
She had a show named after her “Victorious,” so of course she has to have her very own doll. Spin Master actually created two different Tori Vega dolls.
14. Aimee CarreroUntitled. Digital Image. Latina. 20 July 2018.
Carrero is the Dominican and Puerto Rican princess that plays the voice of “Elena of Avalor,” the first Disney television series to feature a Latina protagonist. Yesss, mija, you can have this doll.
15. Leo Messi@leomessi / Instagram | “12 inch ZCWO 2017/18 Barcelona 10# Messi doll toys cartoon souvenirs” Digital Image. Ebay. 5 September 2018
Messi is the hero of Argentina for becoming a household name playing as a forward and captain of both the Argentina national team and for Barcelona. They got his beard and knees spot on.
16. Neymar de Silva Santos Júnior@neymarjr / Instagram | “Mattel FC Elite Neymar Junior Soccer Action Figure” Digital Image. Ebay. 5 September 2018
We’ve got another forward on deck for the Brazil national team. I’ll be honest. The hair is so beyond off. Que pasó Mattel? He should come with at least three hairstyles.
17. Ricky Martin@rickymartin / Instagram
Amigos, we present to you a battery-operated singing Ricky Martin in a mesh top. Dreams made.
18. Ricky Melendez de MenudoAuntSisDolls / Etsy
These have been around for decades, which makes them actual collectibles. You can order these on Etsy, but know that you’re paying for a collector’s item. And, no, baby Ricky Martin is too rare to find on Etsy.
19. Ray Reyes de MenudoAuntSisDolls / Etsy
You were either a die-hard Ray fan or you mocked your friends who loved him. How insane is it that people actually thought he was el gordito? Menudo’s manager actually put him on a diet.
20. Johnny Lozado de MenudoAuntSisDolls / Etsy
Let’s talk about these waist bands on these dolls for a minute, OK. Did they wear these? If so, can somebody confirm in the comments because we’re concerned.
But we still want all these dolls because it’s the comeback age, and we’re praying for a Menudo moment. ????????
Share this story with all of your friends by tapping that little share button below!
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org