Entertainment

Trump Supporter Joe Giudice Chose Deportation Instead Of ICE Detention Because Of How Bad It Is

In case you missed it, “The Real Housewives of New Jersey” star couple, Teresa and Joe Giudice’s family has been in the throes of the US legal system for quite some time. Teresa recently served nearly a year in prison, and her husband, Joe was released from a 41-month prison sentence, only to be detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in March. Last month, ICE denied his appeal to await his immigration hearing date from home.

In a recent interview with Andy Cohen, Joe reveals that the ICE facility was so unbearable, he volunteered his own deportation back to his native Italy. In the interview, they reveal that the fate of their marriage essentially lies in the hands of the court, but that they support Trump regardless. Let’s unpack this.

Cohen asked Joe Giudice how he came to the decision not to wait out the appeal in an ICE facility.

Credit: Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen / YouTube

“Sitting in immigration was a waste of time,” he tells Cohen. “You’re doing a whole other sentence for no reason in there.” The strongest comparison Joe could come up with for life inside an ICE facility? A panini press. “There was no way I was going to do another year in that prison facility,” he said. “Being in there is like having your head in a panini press, or in a vice.” 

Teresa and Joe have four daughters together. 

Credit: @bringhomejoegiudice / Instagram

The youngest is 10 years old. Teresa remarked, “We were getting the phone calls every day and we all said ‘he needs to go.’” She did note that their youngest daughter was “too young to really understand what we were going through.” The family hasn’t been reunited in over three and a half years.

Joe has mixed feelings about his deportation – the silver lining is that he’s no longer in an ICE detention center.

Credit: Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen / YouTube

Cohen asked Joe what it was like to leave the United States, “knowing you may never return.” Joe’s face dropped significantly as he revealed, “It’s never a good feeling. Listen, I’m here. I’m happy that I’m out, but I’m sad at the same time. I’m sad that I’m not with my family. I’m sad that I’m not with my wife and my friends back at home. That’s where my life is. It’s not here. It’s there.”

That said, Joe’s experience of being deported was a celebrity fan fair.

Credit: Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen / YouTube

“They wanted to handcuff me and I was like listen I’m not getting in no handcuffs…” Joe humble-bragged. He said that he would have beat them up if he wanted to escape, but that he wanted to be deported rather than spend one more day in the ICE facility.

Joe said that the two ICE officers assigned to him “were taking selfies with me the whole time.”

Credit: Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen / YouTube

Cohen interrupts to offer a blanket statement: “Tax dollars.” Joe went on to recall, “I think there was someone else that carried a gun or something on the plane. I don’t know. I’m a very dangerous guy I guess. They stood on the plane all the way until we got to Rome. I told them where to go to have a good time cause they were staying there till Monday. So they were heading to a few islands in Naples and then they were heading home.”

Cohen asked Teresa if she’d make a personal plea to Trump to grant Joe citizenship.

Credit: @mihduncan / Twitter

Remember when Trump was just a reality TV star? Teresa enjoyed one season on “Celebrity Apprentice” and has been an outspoken supporter of Trump, even as the Commander in Chief of the facility her husband was wasting away in. Joe admitted in the interview that he wouldn’t wish the ICE facility on anybody. 

Joe also revealed that he’d support Trump “regardless.” 

Credit: @PetitRougeVin / Twitter

Teresa seems to think Trump’s anti-immigration fight is more important than her husband’s fight for immigration. “With the whole immigration thing that’s going on, that he’s fighting for, I would never do that to him,” Teresa tells Cohen. ICE has destroyed their family, and yet, the Giudice’s seem to think their plight for family reunification is second to Trump’s plight for family separation.

READ: Teresa Giudice And Her Daughters Are Pleading With President Trump To Save Joe From Deportation

Trump Administration Hikes Up DACA Renewal Fee

Things That Matter

Trump Administration Hikes Up DACA Renewal Fee

Juan Escalante @JuanSaaa / Twitter

A new proposal brought forth by immigration officials might hike up the cost of immigrants entering the United States as children. According to a New York Times report, the Trump administration proposal would increase fees for applicants by more than 60 percent and handover more than $200 million to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

On Friday, the Trump administration proposed increasing a “range of fees” tacked onto applications for those seeking legal immigration and citizenship.

If it is sent into motion, the proposal would increase citizenship fees by more than 60 percent. Under the new plan, fees for applicants would skyrocket from $725  to $1,170. The proposal would also allow the government to charge asylum seekers $50 for applications and $490 for work permits. Such a rule would make the United States one out of four countries in the world to force asylum seekers to pay for applications. Australia, Fiji and Iran all charge for asylum protection. 

If instituted, the proposal would be yet another roadblock implemented by the Trump administration to restrict immigration through legal means.

Over the past few months, immigrants and immigration advocates have seen similar attempts at hacking through the rights of immigrants before. Recently the Trump administration issued a series of policies that work to withhold permanent residency to immigrants in the United States have been deemed incapable of financially supporting themselves. They have also blocked entry to immigrants applying for visas on the basis of health insurance status. On October 4, 2019, Trump published a Presidential Proclamation that prevents entry to visa applicants are unable to provide proof of their ability to obtain health insurance within 30 days of entering the United States. 

“Healthcare providers and taxpayers bear substantial costs in paying for medical expenses incurred by people who lack health insurance or the ability to pay for their healthcare.  Hospitals and other providers often administer care to the uninsured without any hope of receiving reimbursement from them,” the proclamation read. “The costs associated with this care are passed on to the American people in the form of higher taxes, higher premiums, and higher fees for medical services.  In total, uncompensated care costs — the overall measure of unreimbursed services that hospitals give their patients — have exceeded $35 billion in each of the last 10 years.”

 Ur Jaddou, former chief counsel at USCIS under the Obama administration called the new policy, “one more way under the administration that they are making legal immigration unattainable.”

“Currently, USCIS is conducting its biennial fee review, as required under the Chief Financial Officers Act of 1990, to study the agency’s revenue, costs and needs,” a spokesperson for USCIS told BuzzFeed News. “As always, USCIS will publicly communicate information on its fee review through a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) published in the federal register, should a decision be made to adjust its fees. No determination has yet been made.”

Immigration advocates on social media have been quick to slam the proposal as unfair. 

“The proposal to get rid of fee waivers is a whole statement and stand against the poor. From the public charge stuff to this. Worse thing too is this is how people actually feel,” film director Angy Rivera wrote in a thread that lambasted the policy. “The Department of Homeland Security’s plan will be open to public comment for 30 days starting Nov. 14. Make sure to flood them!”

Other users who quick to underline the significance of taking the funds from these applicants and transfer them to  Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the Trump administration plans to “transfer money raised through the new proposed fee schedule to Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the agency under DHS that carries out deportations, workplace investigations and other immigration enforcement actions. The money would be used to root out any potential fraud in future applications for citizenship, green cards, asylum and other immigration benefits.” 

“At this point I feel like they are just putting numbers in hat, and tossing it around. This is money we use to live and maintain our families, minimum wage ass job won’t cover this. This is just business to make money, y’all taking advantage of us,” Cristal Ruiz Rodriguez wrote in a tweet.

There’s no doubt that the Trump administration’s latest attack on immigrants is a wealth tax.

The Trump administration’s new policy would not be applicable to immigrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border and asking for asylum. 

Melissa Rodgers is the director of programs for the Immigrant Legal Resource Center and told the Washington Street Journal that the proposed fees would be unaffordable for those who could have had a chance at citizenship.

“This is a wealth tax on becoming a U.S. citizen,” Rodgers said in a statement. “It’s part and parcel of the assault on the naturalization process.”

A New Investigation Uncovered Another 1500 Children Separated By Trump Zero Tolerance Policy

Things That Matter

A New Investigation Uncovered Another 1500 Children Separated By Trump Zero Tolerance Policy

customsborder / Instagram

During two months in 2018, the Trump Administration inflicted the separation of undocumented families at the border who were seeking asylum or attempting to cross the southern country line. The policy was called “zero-tolerance,” and at the time of the announcement, former General Jeff Sessions firmly stated at the border that “If you cross this border unlawfully, then we will prosecute you. It’s that simple.” He also added, “If you smuggle illegal aliens across our border, then we will prosecute you. If you are smuggling a child, then we will prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you as required by law. If you don’t like that, then don’t smuggle children over our border.” That’s exactly what they did. When all was said in done, after the uproar of seeing crying children being taken away from their families and placed in cages, federal courts ordered the Trump Administration to end the policy. The government initially admitted that they had separated almost 3,000 kids from their parents. It turns out they were way, way off. 

A new report shows that the Trump Administration separated 1,556 more children on top of the 2,737 children they previously had admitted to releasing.

Credit: customsborder / Instagram

On Oct. 24, after a federal judge ordered the government to release data about the children that were separated in 2018 in a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) finally got the figures after six months. 

“The Trump administration admitted to a federal court that it ripped an additional 1,556 parents and children from each other under its illegal family separation policy,” the ACLU said in a statement. 

The court order came after the ACLU sued the government for information on the children after an earlier report in which the government admitted they didn’t know exactly how many children were separated, but it was probably “thousands.”

Credit: customsborder / Instagram

In January, the Department of Health and Human Services and the inspector general said they couldn’t know for sure how many children were separated because they didn’t have proper records

“The total number and current status of all children separated from their parents or guardians by United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and referred to Office of Refugee Resettlement’s (ORR) care is unknown,” the report states. That report is what prompted the lawsuit from the ACLU demanding a thorough investigation to find those children. 

Lee Gelernt, lead attorney in the family separation lawsuit and deputy director of the ACLU’s Immigrants’ Rights Project, had this reaction to the final figures: “It is shocking that 1,556 more families — including babies and toddlers — join the thousands of others already torn apart by this inhumane and illegal policy. Families have suffered tremendously, and some may never recover. The gravity of this situation cannot be overstated.”

The ACLU has been diligently working hard on finding the children and also suing the government for the trauma they caused the separated families.

Credit: customsborder / Instagram

The ACLU filed the class action lawsuit — Ms. L v. ICE — against the government for illegally separating families and instilling lifelong trauma on the victims. 

“The suffering and trauma inflicted on these little children and parents is horrific,” Gelernt said in a statement. “Tragically, it could take years for these families to heal. Some may never recover, but we are fighting to give them a chance.”

The “Zero-Tolerance” Policy began in April 2018 and was forced to end in June 2018. In just that short time, so much damage was caused on vulnerable people seeking asylum. 

While the policy was supposed to end in June of 2018, it was reported that families were still being separated long after that. A New York Times article said that at least 900 families were separated after June 2018.

Credit: customsborder / Instagram

“The administration is still doing family separation under the guise that they are protecting children from their parents, even though the criminal history they are citing is either wrong or shockingly minor,” Gelernt told the New York Times in July. “This is just circumventing the court’s order.”

During a panel at a Forbes event, former Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, who was in charge during this period, said she had no regrets over making sure the “zero-tolerance” policy was being enforced because she was doing her job. The only reason she left her post was that she was saying “no” too much. 

“I don’t regret enforcing the law, because I took an oath to do that,” Nielsen said, according to CNN. She added that she was there to “enforce the law, not to separate families.”

READ: Government Officials Report That Reuniting Separated Families Will Take Two Years