Entertainment

In a Recent Interview, Harvey Weinstein Calls Himself “The Forgotten Man” and Claims He Was a Champion of Women

If you thought you heard the last of Harvey Weinstein, you were sadly mistaken. On Sunday, the disgraced former Hollywood producer sat down with The New York Post to defend his legacy. He also used the interview as an opportunity to hit back against accusations that he was exaggerating his injuries for public sympathy. 

In the December 15th interview, Weinstein called himself “the forgotten man” and lamented the fact that his “work has been forgotten” due to the avalanche of allegations that came out against him starting in 2017. “I made more movies directed by women and about women than any filmmaker, and I’m talking about 30 years ago,” Weinstein told The New York Post. “I’m not talking about now when it’s vogue. I did it first! I pioneered it!” 

According to The Post, Weinstein refused to address the allegations against him during the interview.

Weinstein is facing criminal charges over claims that he raped a woman in a hotel room in 2013 and sexual assaulted another woman in 2006. These are just two of dozens of allegations that have been publicly made against Weinstein. At his December 11th court appearance, his bail was raised to $2 million based off claims that he has been violating his ankle bracelet monitoring requirements.

According to the publication, Weinstein only agreed to the interview so he could set the record straight about the state of his health. According to Weinstein, he was forced to rely on a walker to attend his December 11th trial because of the recent surgery he underwent to address an injury he sustained from a car accident. “This was a major operation,” he told the Post.

In a shockingly tone-deaf move, Weinstein referred to Gwyneth Paltrow as one of the women whose careers he championed during his glory days.

“Gwyneth Paltrow in 2003 got $10 million to make a movie called ‘View from the Top,’ ” he said. “She was the highest-paid female actor in an independent film. Higher-paid than all the men”. Paltrow has previously gone on record to accuse Harvey Weinstein of sexually harassing her while she was an up-and-coming actor in the 90s.

As for his accusers, they refused to remain silent in the face of such outrageous claims. 

Over 20 of Weinstein’s accusers quickly responded to his interview, signing a statement condemning his comments.  “[Weinstein] says in a new interview he doesn’t want to be forgotten. Well, he won’t be,” the statement read. “He will be remembered as a sexual predator and an unrepentant abuser who took everything and deserves nothing. He will be remembered by the collective will of countless women who stood up and said enough.”

Weinstein accuser Ashley Judd also took to Twitter to address the shocking Post interview. “What Harvey Weinstein has said…is a classic example of DARVO. Denying. Attacking. Reversing. Victim. Order,” Judd wrote. “It is a predatorial strategy that seeks to shift attention away from his criminal behavior and put his toxic shame onto survivor victims.”

Rose McGowan, another actress who has accused Weinstein of sexual assault, also addressed Weinstein’s comments. “I didn’t forget you, Harvey. My body didn’t forget you. I wish it could,” she said.

Although Weinstein’s next court date is set for January, the former mogul still chooses to live in the past, when he was a successful and powerful producer.

“[The Weinstein Compay] was a company that took social issues and tackled them,” he told the New York Post. In another part of the interview, he confessed that he wanted New York “to recognize who I was instead of what I’ve become”. Based on the public reaction to his interview, that is simply wishful thinking.

Hollywood wasn’t the only group to condemn Weinstein’s comments.

Twitter was also appalled at the lack of self-awareness Weinstein displayed in his ill-conceived PR play with The New York Post.

This person was quick to point out Weinstein’s obvious lack of remorse for his actions:

It’s truly disappointing that this man can’t see the damage he’s done to countless women’s lives.

This person is skeptical of his claims of “major” health problems.

It seems rather convenient that he’s suddenly relying on a walker to move around. Especially when there’s recent evidence that he can get around without it.

This person assured Weinstein that he would never be a “forgotten” man:

The legacy of his evil deeds will live on long past the legacy of his movies.

This person is shocked that Weinstein is still thinking of his career when so many lives have been destroyed:

Just when you think this man can’t get any more twisted, he proves that his mind is darker than we could have imagined. 

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Daunte Wright’s Mother Says ‘justice isn’t even a word to me’ After Police Officer Charged With Manslaughter

Things That Matter

Daunte Wright’s Mother Says ‘justice isn’t even a word to me’ After Police Officer Charged With Manslaughter

Updated April 15, 2021.

Another Black man is dead, killed by the police.

Daunte Wright, a 20-year-old Black man from Minnesota was murdered on Sunday after a police officer pulled him over for a traffic violation. In an attempt to take in Wright after realizing he had an outstanding warrant for his arrest, it is being said that the officer meant to use her Taser but accidentally fired her gun.

Police in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota are saying that Wright’s attempt to reenter his car prompted the police fire.

Body camera footage of the Sunday incident was released for the first time on Monday during a news conference. Footage of the killing shows Wright outside of his car when authorities were attempting to place him under arrest. At one point, in the footage he can be seen attempting to reenter his vehicle, prompting a struggle with officers.

“I’ll tase ya,” a woman officer told Wright in the video after he attempted to kick her. “Taser, Taser, Taser!” the officer is heard yelling in the video before saying “Oh shit! I just shot him.”

Potter has since been arrested on a charge of second-degree manslaughter.

The 48-year-old resigned from the Brooklyn Center Police Department three days after she shot Wright. She has since bonded out on $100,000 bail. and is currently facing a maximum possible sentence of 10 years in prison if convicted.

During a news conference, members of Wright’s family spoke about holding Potter responsible.

Katie Wright, Daunte’s mother, underlined We’re still never going to be able to see our baby boy that we’re never going to have again… So when people say justice, I just shake my head.”

According to Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon, the officer meant to reach for her Taser.

Instead, she grabbed her gun.

“This appears to me, from what I viewed and the officer’s reaction and distress immediately after, that this was an accidental discharge that resulted in the tragic death of Mr. Wright,” Gannon claimed.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension has identified the officer in the incident as Kim Potter, a 26-year veteran of the police department. Potter is now on administrative leave.

Speaking about her standing, Gannon said “I think we can watch the video and ascertain whether she will be returning.”

Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott publicly supported Potter’s termination.

“My position is that we cannot afford to make mistakes that lead to the loss of life of other people in our profession, so I do fully support releasing the officer of her duties,” he explained before revealing that the officers initiated the traffic stop after clocking an expired registration tag on the car’s vehicle. When they ran Wright’s name they learned that he had a warrant out for his arrest. “That’s why they were moving from the car and they were making custodial arrest.”

Gannon went onto explain that the only information he had about the arrest warrant was that it was attached to a “gross misdemeanor warrant.”

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Street Vendor By The Name Of Lorenzo Pérez Murdered Execution Style — “The person who killed my dad took away a part of me”

Things That Matter

Street Vendor By The Name Of Lorenzo Pérez Murdered Execution Style — “The person who killed my dad took away a part of me”

Like many street vendors, 45-year-old Lorenzo Pérez sold food to support his family.

Married and the father of four children ages 15, 13, 9, and 1, Perez is described by friends and family as being well known amongst neighborhood residents. He was often seen working alongside his daughter who helped him on occasion. Now, the community and family who knew Perez well are in mourning, after he was shot in broad daylight while doing his job.

Perez died after he being shot in the head in southeast Fresno on Sunday afternoon.

Fresno Police were called to the scene of a possible robbery at Alta and Pierce Avenues, near Kings Canyon and Willow around 4:30 p.m. on Sunday. On the way to the scene, the police officers learned that a street vendor had been shot once in the head.

According to reports, Perez was rushed to Community Regional Medical Center where he ultimately died.

Witnesses of the murder told officers that a man had beckoned Perez to come over to him in a way that suggested he was going to purchase something from him.

According to police reports, when Perez walked up to the suspect, the man pulled out a gun and shot the vendor. He then stole a few items, which have not been identified, and flew the scene. Witnesses told police officers that they’d seen the man loitering around the area before the shooting.

A local news station reported that “Officers are now looking into surveillance footage from the area to try and identify the shooter… Through a statement, Fresno City Council President Luis Chavez announced that he will be offering a $5000 reward for information leading to the shooter’s arrest.”

“The coward that murdered our food vendor, turn yourself in and face the consequences. You’ve brought tremendous pain to a family and our city,” Chavez exclaimed in the statement.

To help the Perez family, Councilmember Esmeralda Soria set up a GoFundMe account which has already raised $141,780 out of its $125,000 goal.

Perez’s son, Isai, described his father in a recent interview as a “great man.”

“My father was a great man. He was a great father, a great husband, a great friend,” he said in an interview. “He spread love and kindness. He was about fairness, he wanted to share his happiness. He meant no harm. He didn’t deserve to go like this. The person who killed my dad took away a part of me. My dad went through everything for us. He took away my father. He took away the opportunity of me being with him in his last moments and it’s heartbreaking. I hope they find the murderer soon.”

If you have any information on the shooting please call Valley Crime Stoppers at (559) 498-STOP.

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com