Entertainment

Disgraced Olivia Jade Made An Instagram Comeback To Wish Cheating Aunt Becky– I Mean Lori Loughlin– A Happy Bday

Since news of the college bribery admissions scandal broke back in March, fans of drama have watched as former “Full House” actress Lori Loughlin fell frame the graces of her fans and daughters. Tabloids have closely kept us abreast on just how much or little contact Loughlin and her daughters in particular have had with eachother enough to make it all seem a bit like a telenovela. That is, a telenovela that prompts all kinds of questions when any main character’s family has a falling out. 
 
And yet, over the weekend, an Instagram post is providing that there’s nothing like a good ‘ol birthday post and a chance to post a cute #Throwback to prove that public disgrace can be fickle.

The embattled Full House actress, also known as Aunt Becky, turned 55 on Sunday and her daughters broke their social media silence to wish their mother a happy birthday. 

Since news broke earlier this year that she and her fashion designer husband Mossimo Giannuli were among dozens of parents involved in a college admissions cheating scandal, they’ve been keeping a low profile. Loughlin and Giannuli have pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy to commit fraud and money laundering for allegedly paying up $500,000 to get their daughters into the University of California. Each charge could lead to up to 20 years in prison. 

Loughlin’s daughter Olivia Jade took to Instagram to wish Loughlin a happy birthday, captioning the photo, “one day late. happy birthday. i love you so much ❤️” 

Jade, who reportedly felt “resentful” toward her parents for their involvement in the college admission scandal, also suffered backlash because of the scandal. The YouTube beauty vlogger and social media influencer not only lost fans and followers, but she also lost many brand partnerships as well. Brands like Sephora and Lulus cut ties with her immediately following the scandal. 

It was also reported earlier this month that Loughlin and her daughters weren’t on the best terms post-college admissions scandal but were working on it.  “Olivia was angry with her parents at first but now realizes that they were just trying to do what’s best for her, a source told Us Weekly. “Olivia loves her mom and dad very much but is especially close to Lori.” 

Loughlin’s other daughter, Bella Giannulli, also shared a sweet photo of the two and captioned her photo, “happy birthday mama. I love you ❤️”

View this post on Instagram

happy birthday mama. I love you ❤️

A post shared by Bella Giannulli (@bella) on

Looks like Loughlin is getting a lot of birthday lovin’ despite what the headlines have said about her earlier this year.

In fact, even fellow Full House and Fuller House co-star Candace Cameron Bure, who’s been supportive of Loughlin during this scandalous time, commented on Bella’s post and wrote, “???????????????? Happy birthday to your mama!!!!!!!” 

Fans and close friends alike have also taken to Twitter to wish Aunt Becky the happiest of birthdays. 

“Happy Birthday to my forever friend with a heart of gold. Love you!,” writes Erin Krakow, who starred alongside Loughlin in the Lifetime series When Calls the Heart, in her caption. She shared the same photo on Twitter and the replies were a mix of negative and positive comments–no surprise there, tbh. 

Fans on Twitter pointed out that supporting your friends through the good times and the bad times (or the times when you’re caught bribing your kids into college) isn’t “easy, but [it’s] truly important.” 

They’re all sweet photos and posts, but they di beg the question of how much time must pass for the court of public opinion to forget its grievances against a problematic person. After all, for her part in the scandal, Loughlin wittingly affected the futures and college education attendance of thousands of college applicants, many of who had never and may never experience even a touch of the privilege her daughters did.

Others responded to the actress asking her to pass on their words of encouragement to Loughlin and sharing that they “miss her terribly.”

“I’m praying for you,” one Twitter fan wrote. Don’t worry guys, she’ll be fine. 

A fan shared a sweet post about Loughlin’s impact on her life and how 55 has never looked so good (on that, we can agree on).

“lori you have been my role model for quite some time, most of my life. i grew up watching you and i first fell in love with you and your character aunt becky,” the fan wrote in a series of tweets. 

More fans continued to rally behind her good friend Lifetime co-star, calling her a “faithful friend,” and wishing Loughlin the best at 55.

“Wishing Lori the very best in the next year! Missing you!,” @MargieTomaszew2 wrote in her tweet. Damn, fans REALLY miss her. 

Another fan advised Loughlin to not let the comments by “haters bring you down.”

“When we are at our lowest we find out who our true friends are. Happy Birthday, Lori!,” she continued in her tweet. Yeah, don’t let comments by the “haters” aka people who actually had to work their way to get into college bring you down, Loughlin. 

Again, more fans kept telling Loughlin just how much they missed her on her birthday.

“Happy Birthday Lori. It’s unfair, we miss you so much,” wrote on Twitter fan. Do you know what’s also unfair? Well, you already know what we’re going to say…

Despite the aftermath of the college admissions scandal, Aunt Becky still low-key celebrated her birthday and some fans won’t let her have even that. 

I mean, the gif says it all really. The resemblance to Piper is also uncanny. 

People reported that on Loughlin’s birthday, the Fuller House actress and her husband “were spotted in Los Angeles on their way to an early morning service at the Church of the Good Sheperd in Beverly Hills.” After the service, Loughlin reportedly hosted an intimate birthday celebration with her husband, daughters, and a few other friends. 

Loughlin and her husband are scheduled to next appear in court on August 27. 

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

A Judge Has Ruled That The University of California System Can No Longer Use SAT And ACT Tests For Admissions And It’s A Huge Win For The Underprivileged

Things That Matter

A Judge Has Ruled That The University of California System Can No Longer Use SAT And ACT Tests For Admissions And It’s A Huge Win For The Underprivileged

Kevork Djansezian / Getty

Advocates against the use of standardized tests for college admissions have long argued that the use of such exams sets back students from underprivileged backgrounds and those who have disabilities. Aware of the leg up it gives to privileged and non-disabled students an advantage in the admittance process, they’ve rallied for schools to end such practices.

And it looks like they’ve just won their argument.

A judge has ruled that the University of California system can no longer use ACT and SAT tests as part of their admissions process.

Brad Seligman is the Alameda County Superior Court Judge who issued the preliminary injunction in the case of Kawika Smith v. Regents of the University of California on Tuesday. The plaintiffs in Kawika Smith v. Regents of the University of California include five students and six organizations College Access Plan, Little Manila Rising, Dolores Huerta Foundation, College Seekers, Chinese for Affirmative Action, and Community Coalition.

In his decision, Judge Seligman underlined that the UC system’s “test-optional” policy on UC campuses has long given privileged and non-disabled students a chance at a “second look” in the admissions process. According to Seligman, this “second look” denies such opportunities to students who are unable to access the tests.

The decision is a major victory for students with disabilities and from underprivileged backgrounds.

News of the decision comes on the heels of the university system’s ruling to waive the standardized testing requirements until 2024.

In May, a news release asserted that if a new form of a standardized test had not been developed by 2025, the system would have to put an end to the testing requirement for California students. On Monday, the judge’s ruling took things further by banning the consideration of scores from students who submit them all together.

“The current COVID 19 pandemic has resulted in restrictions in the availability of test sites,” Seligman wrote in his ruling. “While test-taking opportunities for all students have been limited, for persons with disabilities, the ability to obtain accommodations or even to locate suitable test locations for the test is ‘almost nil.'”

A spokesperson for the University of California said the university “respectfully disagrees with the Court’s ruling.”

“An injunction may interfere with the University’s efforts to implement an appropriate and comprehensive admissions policies and its ability to attract and enroll students of diverse backgrounds and experiences,” the spokesperson said. According to the spokesperson, the UC system is considering further legal action in the case. The system said that its testing has allowed for an increase in admission of low-income and first-generation-to-college-students for the fall of 2020.

With UC being the largest university system in the country, Seligman’s ruling is a massive deal. Students and advocates have long fought for the elimination of these standardized tests arguing that they do not accurately reflect a student’s academic ability.

“Research has repeatedly proved that students from wealthy families score higher on the SAT and ACT, compared to students from low-income families,” reports CNN. It’s important to note that the analysis by Inside Higher Ed revealed that the “lowest average scores for each part of the SAT came from students with less than $20,000 in family income. The highest scores came from those with more than $200,000 in family income.”

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

This Is A Story All About How A Viral Youtube Video Became The Next ‘Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’

Entertainment

This Is A Story All About How A Viral Youtube Video Became The Next ‘Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’

NBC

That’s right the 90s classic starring Will Smith is being flipped-turned upside down into a dramatic television series.

You might remember a year ago when a creative YouTube trailer of a dramatic version of the beloved series “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” went viral. When the original trailer first came out, fans could not stop talking about the accurate POV the series presented of the original NBC comedy. The fresh trailer clipped out the goofy and playful nature that a young Will Smith presented in the original series and revealed a much more dramatic reimagining of the series about a street-wise teen who moved from West Philadelphia to Bel Air, California. The trailer was such a success among fans that it went so far as to capture the attention of the original star of the series.

Now, the series that catapulted Will Smith to stardom is getting a remake.

The new series called “Bel-Air” is described as a “dramatic take” on the former series that ran for six seasons.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the new series has been in the works for well over a year after the four-minute trailer went viral last March. The creator behind the series, Morgan Cooper, has been a longtime Fresh Prince fan and directed and posted the trailer which reimagined the series with much darker undertones. Cooper will produce the series alongside the original Will Smith. He will also co-write and direct.

What’s more, the new series is headed back home

Just a month ago the repackaged drama is being shopped to streamers and will be co-produced by Smith’s Westbrook Studios and the original producer of the series: Universal TV.

According to The Hollywood Reporter Peacock, Netflix and HBO Max were some of the top streamers bidding on the series. “HBO Max is the current streaming home for the original series,” THR reports. “Bel-Air is described as an hourlong dramatic retelling of the beloved ’90s sitcom that leans into the original premise of Will’s complicated journey from the streets of West Philadelphia to the gated mansions of Bel-Air. With a reimagined vision, Bel-Air will dive deeper into the inherent conflicts, emotions and biases of what it means to be a Black man in America today, while still delivering the swagger and fun nods to the original show.”

Earlier this week, Will Smith announced on his YouTube Channel that the new series has been signed to Peacock, NBCUniversal’s streaming service.

“We have just officially closed the deal with Peacock with an unprecedented two-season order from a pitch,” Smith announced in the video. “I’ve been in this business for 30 years, and that does not happen.”

Speaking about his excitement over seeing his classic series get a modern twist, Smith said “The Carlton character — a Black, young Republican, modern-day? The heat that will be stirred up between these characters. It’s like, what’s the Hilary character in a world of Instagram and social media?”

Besides Smith, the new series will see original participants such as Quincy Jones, Benny Medina, and creators Andy & Susan Borowitzreturn return as executive producers.

You may remember that the original “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” series ran for six seasons from 1990-1996 on NBC. At the time it was produced by Jones and Warner Bros. TV and it starred young Will Smith as the titular character “Will Smith” and featured actors James Avery, Alfonso Ribeiro, Karyn Parsons, Tatyana M. Ali, Joseph Marcell, Janet Hubert-Whitten and Daphne Maxwell Reid.

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com