The 17 Best Alba Villanueva Moments That Are Abuela AF
In our culture, abuelas are the true rulers of the house, the family and our traditions.
And there’s no doubt that Alba Villanueva from “Jane the Virgin” is our favorite abuela on television. Throughout this series, abuela Alba drops some real wisdom (or abuela complaints) we can all relate to. Here are her best moments.
1. Alba teaching young Jane that her virginity is like a flower.
This **iconic** moment is the opening scene of “Jane the Virgin” and the defining moment for adult Jane’s celibacy and relationships. That is, until she gets accidentally artificially inseminated and begins to question everything.
2. She’s the family’s moral support (and compass).
While Alba Villanueva can be religious and devout to a fault (whose abuela isn’t?), she also shares the wisdom from her own life experiences. Like this time when she confessed to Jane that she told her mom to have an abortion, but Jane had become the “best part of [her] life”.
3. She has a lot of opinions.
And we love her for it. She will support Jane and Xiomara until the moment they’re over someone and then she’ll word vomit all the ways they might have been wrong for them.
4. And all the wisdom that keeps families afloat.
When Michael died and Jane was widowed so young, Alba shared her experience of being a young widow. Meanwhile, the world watching got chills for the generational strength of the Villanueva family.
5. Alba also has her moments of spontaneity.
Like this time she suddenly decided to join Jane and Xiomara’s road trip, and then was immediately backseat driving.
6. Like the time she spontaneously ran out of a marriage proposal.
Alba had been widowed for 30 years before she got back in the dating scene, and she was waiting for marriage to have sex again. That thought sent her running!
7. While this is the only episode she’s that abuela…
I mean, we can all relate to someone yelling at you, which inevitably leads you to swerve, them to panic, and you to want to scream. You know what I’m talking about.
8. We’ve felt that feeling of frustration mixed with adoration and respect many, many times.
Pobrecita, Alba. We love you so much, but the anxiety to get places not on Latino time is real.
9. This was Alba’s online dating profile post-breakup:
LOL. Y’know, we’re tossing kudos her way for even undertaking the task of creating an online dating profile, and laughing at how rigid it is.
10. But she’s not too rigid to go to a sex shop with her granddaughter.
After confessing to Jane that she turned down the marriage proposal because she was afraid of being intimate again after 30 years on her own, Jane took action. And Alba’s face was priceless.
11. Better yet was her face-to-face with a latex suit.
Spoiler: Jane ends up buying her grandma some lube and a vibrator and slips it into her purse. When Alba dropped her purse in front of some children who asked her if that was a “vibrating hot dog”, she almost died of embarrassment.
12. But not before she took her new sex toy for a test run.
Moving past how bizarre it would be to buy this for your abuela, how cool is Alba that she’s able to overcome a lifetime of religious oppression and masturbate for the first time in 30 years?! You, go, Alba!
13. She never stops being the abuela you can go to in a pinch though.
If you’re like me, and your abuelas are long gone, let Jane the Virgin raise you. I’m taking advice from this fictional TV character all the time, because she reminds me so much of my own abuelita. She is all our abuelas.
Caption: “Favorite abuela advice to this day @HereIsGina ?”
14. Alba has suffered immensely for her undocumented status.
It was a weight on Xiomara growing up to never have an encounter with the police or her mother could be deported. When she was pushed down the stairs and almost died, she couldn’t even think about pressing charges for attempted murder because of her status and we wept with her.
15. Spoiler: Alba gets her green card!!
While the 2016 Presidential campaign was scapegoating immigrants and undocumented workers in the U.S., Jane the Virgin was humanizing them. How could Alba deserve anything less after a lifetime of giving back to her community?
16. Let’s also never forget the time she went #TeamJafael.
Honestly, JTV, please leave #Jafael alone. Alba has always thought they were meant to be by God because his sperm accidentally ended up launching this whole, untraditional and beautiful family. I’m #TeamJafael for the abs.
17. Overall, there’s no question that Alba Villanueva is the backbone and hero of the family.
Alba Villanueva is the matriarch, and the guiding light for everything the Villanueva women do, and it’s all founded on their undying love and respect for her. #Same
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org