20 Jane Villanueva Moments That Are Relatable AF
Theory: it’s metaphysically impossible not to Netflix binge watch all three seasons of “Jane the Virgin.” It’s our very first American telenovela!
The heroine, Jane Villanueva, played by Gina Rodriguez, goes through some truly crazy shit with classic malditas all over the place, but her reactions (and fantasies) are relatable AF.
So for all of you who are living in your own telenovelas, here’s your own look in the mirror!
1. Jane eats grilled cheese when the chisme spikes.
Or is that a pastelito? Either way, we are one and the same. This is the very first scene introducing present day Jane Villanueva on the pilot, and it’s how I’ll always remember her. Who doesn’t like a snack when consuming chisme or their favorite show?
2. When you just can’t pretend to like camping for a second longer.
Back when Jane and Michael first started dating, Jane turned a sweet carved giraffe gift moment into a confession: camping in the Everglades is not okay. I love to camp, but I still would never camp in a place where dinosaurs roam the earth and mosquitos eat my face off. Byeee.
3. Jane’s flirt radar is broke.
Just like mine. Spoiler alert: the physical contact was him touching her elbow–the unanimously agreed upon least sexiest part of anyone’s body. But we all romanticize like hell when our crushes are involved.
4. This is how Jane imagined this moment:
When Jane tries to up her flirt game, she imagines every man lusting after her, Miami winds blowing up her skirt, and ends up shutting down someone who wasn’t even flirting with her. #BeenThere #Awkward
5. This is what actually happened:
Like, her skirt was literally just stuck in a door and he was embarrassed for her. LMAO. I wonder what my life would look like if I had a narrator who called out my #JaneMoments.
6. When Jane acted out a “Bachelorette” fantasy, which who hasn’t:
When Jane was trying to decide between two men who were chasing after her, the romance novelist in her went w i l d. We got to see reality TV version of Jane Villanueva and it was everything.
7. It even included outtakes with the bachelors ?
You’re either #TeamMichael or #TeamRafael and after the Season 4 finale I feel dead by the CW. Freakin’ telenovelas pulling at my heartstrings.
8. And then there’s drunk Jane.
Who hasn’t stolen a cop’s gun and fired it into the ceiling at your 21st birthday party? A total classic start to the romance she’d eventually base her debut novel on. ♥️
9. When you come up with a maniacal drunk plan at your bachelorette party…
When my mom drunk dialed and left a voicemail about how my graduate dean was a total B, I.. OK. That didn’t happen, but it did for Jane, and I would have bartered with my casi-evil twin step sisters to steal his phone, delete the voicemail and throw it into a bush.
10. When karaoke is the wildest thing you’ll do all year.
Alright, if my boo decided to make a fool of herself on stage for me, I would totally join in, too. But what they did after was just wild…
11. And then *spontaneously* adopt a cat.
“We didn’t even think; we just DID it!” I mean, I visited the shelter a million times for three months before I pulled the trigger, so I actually think this is pretty wild. #AdoptDontShop
12. When Jane is sick, do not mess with her.
I don’t care how much you love me and want to take care of me when I’m sick. Please, politely, GTFO of my life right now. I’ll apologize later.
13. When the Latino hugger in you faces a Czech wall of ice.
We’ve all been here. In the early days (i.e. high school) it was awkward when we hugged our non-Latino, non-hugging friends, but eventually we became our mothers. I’m a hugger and you’ll just have to deal.
14. When you bomb an interview by deleting an entire document.
Who doesn’t fake it till you make it?! If someone asks you if you know a platform, you say yes and learn it later that night. My heart is with you, Jane.
15. When you cry everytime you get a gift.
I have overactive tear ducts, OK? JK, I’m just Latina and full of emotions that all come out as tears. Angry, happy, tired, grateful–I’m crying.
16. When it’s Hogwarts 100 percent of the time in Jane Villanueva-land.
My high school version of myself totally coaches me through high school reunion speeches. Don’t embarrass your younger self, Jane, she will screech at you.
17. Seriously, all her pics talk to her.
Especially if that pic is of Michael. He’s constantly telling her, “You’ve got this” and it’s too cute. My framed pic of Michael doesn’t do that. :'(
18. When you don’t have any pics talking to you and have to talk yourself up before sex.
“You’re about to have sex, Jane!” And with a total telenovela hottie, mind you. That deserves a good chat with yourself in the mirror.
19. When you imagine a church choir singing, “Don’t have sex.”
Spoiler alert: they don’t start singing, “Go have sex” until after she’s married. So typical. JK, what am I saying, this is all a fantasy, Jane! Don’t listen to them!
20. When you’re accidentally artificially inseminated.
OK, this is totally unrelatable, but the entire premise of the gift that keeps on giving. I would’ve been a trainwreck but Jane Villanueva is my #shero so now we all know how to react if it ever happens to you.
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at email@example.com