Culture

Photos Of Late Soccer Star Emiliano Sala Leak Of His Body At The Morgue And His Family Is Trying To Find Ways To Deal

A man and a woman, aged 62 and 48, have been arrested after posting photos of the post-mortem examination of Cardiff City soccer player Emiliano Sala.

Images of Sala, the 28-year-old striker who disappeared after a private plane he was one crashed in the waters north of Guernsey in January, appeared on Twitter weeks ago.

According to witnesses the man and woman allegedly leaked images of the Argentinian’s remains at a mortuary, in Bournemouth, Dorset

According to investigators, there is no evidence to suggest the couple broke into the mortuary, and “no evidence to suggest that any staff from the mortuary, or indeed any other council employees, are involved in any wrongdoing.”

Investigators have also released a statement detailing the situation saying that “A48-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of unauthorized access to computer material and malicious communication. The woman has been released on conditional bail. A 62-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of unauthorized access to computer material and has been released under investigation.”

The Tragic Ending To Emiliano Sala’s Incredible Soccer Career

The death of Argentinan soccer player Emiliano Sala hit fans, family, and friends with extreme shock. How could a 28-year-old in the prime of his career vanish in thin air?

Just three months officials confirmed his death, and people are still reeling from this tragedy only to be facing more horrible news.

On Feb. 4, just two weeks after the plane carrying Emiliano Sala went missing, investigators reported that they had found the wreckage and a body in the English Channel.

Instagram/@emilianosalafans2

Sala was en route from France to Wales on a single-engine plane on Jan. 21 just days after being transferred from FC Nantes to the Premier League side Cardiff City. On Jan. 19, Sala was transferred to a new team in a multimillion-dollar deal.

The Argentinan player went to France to pick up some belongings and planned to join his new team for practice on Jan. 20, but that never happened.

According to media reports, Sala sent a message to his friends via Whatsapp while he was on the plane, in which he discussed various things but also added that he didn’t feel comfortable in the plane.

“Hello, my brothers, how are you? Boy, I’m tired. I was here in Nantes taking care of things, things, things, things, things, things, and it never stops, it never stops, it never stops. Anyway guys, I’m up in this plane that feels like it’s falling to pieces, and I’m going to Cardiff. [It’s] crazy, we start tomorrow. Training in the afternoon, guys, in my new team… Let’s see what happens. So, how’s it going with you guys, all good? If in an hour and a half you have no news from me, I don’t know if they are going to send someone to look for me because they cannot find me, but you will know… Man, I’m scared!”

The plane, pilot, and Sala crashed in English Channel moments later. Officials, however, did not find any sign of them until weeks later. Media reports that the pilot was inexperienced, but no official determinations have been disclosed.

On April 26, three months after the death of Sala, his father died of a heart attack.

Instagram/@teste_di_calcio_official_

“Unfortunately, he felt a sharp pain in his chest in the early hours [of Friday] and suffered a heart attack,” a close friend told a local TV station C5N in Argentina. “By the time the doctors arrived, he had already died. I recently saw him and spoke to him. He seemed to be gradually getting back to his routine. We spoke for half an hour and even told a joke. The news comes as a surprise as Horacio leaves us at 58. It leaves another void. We had been in constant contact for a month during the disappearance of the plane and this is very sad news.”

READ: These Latinos Are Helping To Make The 2019 Super Bowl The Greatest Possible For Latino Fans

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Nets Player Kyrie Irving Commits $1.5 Million To Help Pay The Salaries Of WNBA Players Opting Out Of The 2020 Season

Entertainment

Nets Player Kyrie Irving Commits $1.5 Million To Help Pay The Salaries Of WNBA Players Opting Out Of The 2020 Season

Rob Carr / Getty

While WNBA players were able to receive a modest salary increase in the 2019-20 season, the bump up has yet to give way to the opportunity of true equity. This has proven to be particularly true when their male counterparts of the NBA are thrown into the mix.

Today, the average salary of a WNBA player starts at around $50,000 and caps off at $110,000. On the other hand, a player starting out in the NBA starts out with a salary that averages around $560,000. Currently, amid COVID-19 shutdowns, this massive gap in salary is heavily affecting the WNBA players who are being paid less and opting to forgo playing during the 2020 season.

According to NBC Sports, WNBA executives and athletes have agreed that players who are considered “at-risk” for the COVID-19 virus can opt-out of playing this season and still receive a full paycheck. Meanwhile, those who are not “at-risk” but make the decision not to play will not receive compensation.

Fortunately, many NBA players are aware of the ways in which this disparity affects them differently and are working to support the women who play the game as well.

Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving is leading the charge to ensure that WNBA athletes who opt out of playing this season can do so without worrying about finances. 

The Nets point guard announced in a statement made via his KAI Empowerment Initiative, that he pledges to commit $1.5 million to cover the salaries of WNBA players who have opted out of playing in the 2020 season. As part of his effort, Irving has also partnered with the investment banking company UBS to offer financial literacy programs to each of the players in the WNBA.

“This platform was created to provide support for all WNBA players in hopes to relieve some of the financial strain imposed during these challenging times,” Irving explained in a statement. “Whether a person decided to fight for social justice, play basketball, focus on physical or mental health, or simply connect with their families, this initiative can hopefully support their priorities and decisions.”

Players must provide the reasons behind their decision to not participate in the 2020 season to qualify.

In order to qualify, WNBA players cannot receive any additional financial support from other organizations.

According to CNBC, Irving makes an annual average salary of roughly $34 million and said that he was inspired to start the fund “after WNBA players Natasha Cloud of the Washington Mystics and Jewell Loyd of the Seattle Storm connected him with several of their WNBA peers who discussed some of the challenges they would face if they opted not to play when the season started on July 25.”

Cloud recently announced that she will be committing her time during the season to fight for racial and social justice instead of playing.

Players Renee Montgomery and Tiffany Hayes of the Atlanta Dream, have also confirmed their decision to take part in the fight. In addition, ten other WNBA athletes have also confirmed that they will not be playing this year because of health concerns or other reasons related to the fight for social justice.

Speaking with ESPN’s The Undefeated, Cloud explained, “It’s hard to think about basketball with the climate of what we’re in right now socially after George Floyd was murdered.” 

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com

Miami Marlins Covid Outbreak Causes Chaos Of MLB Season After One Weekend

Entertainment

Miami Marlins Covid Outbreak Causes Chaos Of MLB Season After One Weekend

Mitchell Leff / Getty Images

An outbreak of Covid among MLB players and coaches has postponed the highly anticipated and very hyped return of the season. It took less than a week since the sport came back for there to be a viral outbreak within the league.

The Miami Marlins are dealing with a Covid outbreak within the team before their opening games.

Half of the players for the Miami Marlins are positive for Covid-19 before the home opener against the Baltimore Orioles. The Marlins’ season has been paused through the weekend and the lineup was changed up to make sure the season can continue.

“Obviously, we don’t want any player to get exposed. It’s not a positive thing,” Commissioner Rob Manfred said Monday night on the MLB Network. “But I don’t see it as a nightmare.” He continued: “We think we can keep people safe and continue to play.”

Phillies Outfielder Andrew McCutchen took to Twitter to vent his frustration about MLB communication.

Apparently, McCutchen didn’t know that the Phillies game against the New York Yankees Tuesday was canceled until getting on Twitter. The weekend schedule was thrown into turmoil after news broke about the outbreak on the Miami Marlins. The outbreak comes as some have criticized the MLB for not trying a bubble conference, like the NBA and NHL.

Other teams in the league are showing their own discomfort with the current situation.

The Nationals were supposed to play in Miami this weekend but the surge in Covid cases in Florida put an end to that. The Washington Nationals voted to postpone and the MLB followed their lead and canceled that series.

In a statement by the MLB, the Miami Marlins are the only confirmed team to have a Covid outbreak. The league recently conducted 6,400 tests among players and coaches and haven’t found other outbreaks on the remaining 29 teams.

READ: This MLB Team Just Swore In 15 New American Citizens And Our Hearts Are Overflowing With Emotion

Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at corrections@wearemitu.com