24 Ways To Use Avocado That Aren’t Guacamole
Latinx family: we have been blessed with a diaspora rich in avocado trees. Before avocados became all the rage, we grew the fruit of the gods in our backyards and made guacamole with it.
Here’s the thing, we cannot limit such a magical fruit to just one dish. Here are just 24 of probably hundreds of ways to use avocado and honor the fruit that gives us life
1. Avocado Toast@avocados / Twitter
Don’t worry. This isn’t another post about avocado toast, but it belongs at the top of the list. Smashed avocados + warm, toasted bread is as comfort food as it gets. But avocado can do so much more.
2. Like make this avocado gelato.@allice_park / Twitter
Did someone say comfort food earlier? And yes, you need to save the avocado shell because it’s nature’s bowl.
3. Baked Avocado Fries@AvosMexicoCA / Twitter
Imagine biting into a crispy fry and instead of chewing down on boring, pedestrian potato, you’re eating the baked creamy fruit of our gods? Well, you can! It’s easy, just get some avocados and an oven and google that ish.
4. Sub avocado for mayo.@BabaganoshBlog / Twitter
Literally, avocados are nature’s mayo and I will fight you on that. You can use it to make egg salad, and get many more nutrients and avocados have 0% cholesterol!
5. Make avocado pesto noodles.@BoulderInst / Twitter
Did I eat this for both lunch and dinner yesterday? Claro q sí. And I’ll eat it again for breakfast this morning. Just blend an avocado with some basil leaves, spices, and coconut milk for a creamy taste of heaven for a nut-free, dairy-free option!
6. Chilled Avocado Gazpacho@Buzzfeed / Twitter
You’re going to make this with avocados, chickpeas and cucumbers as the base, and then you’re going to eat a whole blender full in one sitting and thank me.
7. Bake avocados into a cake!@Allergy_F_York / Twitter
This is a great options for all you veganos out there! Avocados are binding, like eggs, so you can sub half an avocado per egg and see what happens. Spoiler: feasting is in your future.
8. Or just turn it into cake icing.@1KitchenStories / Twitter
I mean, it’s kind of the perfect texture, am I right? Just add some pistachios and sugar to the avocado, blend, and try to leave some for the actual cake because you’ll want to eat this with a spoon.
9. Avocado-Strawberry Bruschetta“Another spin on avo toast. Get the recipe here.” Digital Image. Buzzfeed. 17 May 2018.
Another tropical take on an Italian classic. You already know what to do, and don’t think this would be possible without avocado. #DairyFree #Vegan
10. Bake a damn egg in an avocado.@avocados / Twitter
Seriously, I dare you. Just layer smoked salmon and crack an egg on top and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Top with chile and write me thank you letters.
11. What’s an empanada without avocado drizzle?@avocados / Twitter
Blend an avocado with cilantro and lime and store it in a ziploc bag. Cut the tip off and use it as a piper to seriously zest up your empanada game.
12. Avocado-Corn Soup@avocados / Twitter
Forget thickening your corn soup with a can of condensed milk. Avocados are like gold that grows from trees. Use them, mija.
13. Make a dip that isn’t guacamole@avocados / Twitter
Let’s call this a mustard dip. I mean, really, mustard could only be improved with avocados.
14. That’s an avocado milkshake ⬇️@ErikMeadows / Twitter
And while you can make healthy smoothies using avocado, kale, etc, milkshakes are just better. Blend a can of full-fat coconut milk with mint leaves, avocado and a sprinkle of brown sugar or stevia and call yourself blessed.
15. Who says you can’t serve cafécito in a cup of avocado?@FactRiverCom / Twitter
Like I said: nature’s bowl. I’m shooketh to say that Australians thought of this before we did, but I’m h/t anyway.
16. Yup, there’s avocado in that chocolate mousse.@FayeJosa / Twitter
The cacao drowns out any taste of the avocado, so you’re left with the creamy texture of avocados and the bittersweet yumminess of cacao.
17. That’s some avocado-cilantro hummus right there.@Gatherings_Inc / Twitter
Why wouldn’t this be delicious? You already know what to do, fam. This next one will elevate your Insta game.
18. Beet-Hummus Stuffed Avocados@inspiredby_nick / Twitter
You can stuff an avocado with whatever tf you want, but we recommend the pretty pink hummus shown here. All you need is one beet for this recipe, and probably more than one stomach around.
19. Key Lime Tart@natbotica-keylime / Twitter
My Floridian fam: you’ve got all the best limes, and your cousins have all the avocado trees. You live in a paradise. Act like it and make this.
20. We can’t forget avocado brownies.@radiancecleanse / Twitter
They truly add a fudgey texture to these bad boys that you can attribute to a serving of fruit. How millennial am I for wanting to worship an avocado tree right now?
21. Make yourself a vegan deviled egg.@ReInVeganate / Twitter
You can be bad and bougie, too, my amigos veganos. You can also stuff a baked baby potato with a turmeric-nooch blend of avocados if you want to swap which part of the egg this is.
22. Stuff the avocado, then fry it. ????@UrbanSwank / Twitter
This is real, y’all. This one is stuffed with crab meat and then deep fried, but get creative for us and let us know what you’d make in the comments below.
23. Behold, a variation on an avocado milkshake:@ZengaTVMedia / Twitter
Frozen bananas. That’s what usually makes smoothies so creamy, but you can use them with avocados and coconut milk to add some natural sweetener to your shake.
24. I leave you with avocado cream:“Avocado Cream / Peden + Munk.” Digital Image. Epicurious. 17 May 2018.
I know, this feels counterintuitive, but if you blend an avocado with apple cider vinegar and sour cream (and spices of course), you’ll get yourself a pretty tasty dip. It will never replace guacamole, but it’ll do with fries.
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at email@example.com