22 Keto Recipes To Try Out If Quarantine Has You Stumped In The Kitchen
Updated May 18, 2020.
So you’re trying out a ketosis diet? Welcome to your Latinx elevated palette salvation. Given that everyone and their mother (including mine) are swearing by this diet, we asked for their favorite recipes. You can stop scrolling through searching keto recipes for the versions of pandemono, arroz con pollo y tortilla española.
We’ve got you.
1. Chorizo Cauliflower
Basic rules of keto are:
- High protein
- High fat
- Low carbs
So, instead of using regular arroz, try pan-frying cauliflower rice instead. Sure, you can buy this at almost any grocery store these days, but you can also just blend a head of cauliflower for ~8 seconds and it’s cheaper. 😉
2. Instant Pot Chicken Paella
The fam swears by cauliflower rice, what can I say? Here’s the instant pot way to make this, broken down into different waves. Just cook each wave until tender and add the next in:
- 1 sweet onion
- 3 slices bacon (sugar free, nightshade free)
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 stalk rhubarb (about a cup diced)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp (scant) celery salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried herb blend (compliant Italian seasoning: oregano, thyme, rosemary)
- 1 tsp turmeric
Now just cook 2 bags frozen cauliflower rice on low for 3 minutes and TADA!
Adapted from The Castaway Kitchen
3. Fathead Nachos
You’re making these nachos yourself:
- Mix 3/4 cup of shredded/grated cheese and 1/3 cup almond flour/meal in a microwaveable bowl. Add 2 tbsp cream cheese. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Stir then microwave on high for another 30 seconds. Remove and stir again. Add an egg, salt, and 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander and pinch of chili powder. Mix.
- Place the pastry between 2 pieces of baking parchment/paper and roll into a thin, rectangle. Remove the top baking paper/parchment.
- Slide the baking paper/parchment with the Fat Head pastry, on a baking tray (cookie tray) or pizza stone, and bake at 425F for 12-15 minutes, or until browned on the top. Flip the pastry over (onto baking paper/parchment) and brown the other side.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and cut into tortilla chip triangle shapes. Bake again at 425F for 3 – 5 minutes.
While cooking, make some meat sauce using ground beef, a can of diced tomatos, chili powder and tomato paste. You got this.
Adapted from Ditch the Carbs.
4. Low Carb Tacos with Cheese Taco Shells
This is the best hack of all time.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat place 1/4 cup piles of shredded cheese 2 inches apart (in a circle shape). Press the cheese down lightly so it makes one layer.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until the edges of the cheese are brown.
- Let the cheese cool for 2-3 minutes then lift it up and place it over the handle of a spoon or other utensil that is balanced on two cups to make a rigid upright taco shell shape.
- Let cheese cool completely then remove.
- While you continue to bake your cheese taco shells place the ground beef and ground chorizo in a skillet over medium high heat cooking until it is completely cooked through.
- Drain the grease from the meat and then add a can of RO*TEL , cumin, and chili powder.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then salt to taste.
- Add meat to taco shells and top with your favorite taco toppings.
Adapted from HomemadeInterest.com
5. Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowl
Meet nature’s spaghetti if you haven’t already. The fam swears by this one.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a cookie sheet with foil OR fill a 9 x 13” glass baking dish with about an inch of water.
- Wash the spaghetti squash and then slice off the stem at the top. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and then use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and the darker yellow strands that the seeds are attached to.
- Rub a little bit of high heat oil on the inner edges of the squash and then place each half face down on the baking sheet/dish. Roast in the oven for 30-45 minutes. You can test to see if it’s done by scraping the inside with a fork. Strands should come loose as you scrape all the way down to the flesh.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the filling by warming one tablespoon oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté a sliced red onion for a few minutes and then add a chopped red pepper and 2 chopped jalepeños. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and cumin and cook to desired softness (6-7 minutes)
- When the squash is done cooking, allow it to cool for a few minutes before handling. Turn the oven to broil and then transfer the squash to a surface where you can scrape the inside and begin stuffing.
- Scrape about 3/4 of the inside out onto a dish and then layer the filling inside (1/2 can black beans, 1 cup corn, peppers and onion, salsa and cilantro). Top with the spaghetti squash and press down then add another layer of filling. Sprinkle green onion on top and then finish with shredded cheese.
- Broil in the oven for about 5 minutes so that the cheese is bubble and golden brown then serve!
Adapted from Making Thyme for Health.
6. Keto Lime Creamsicles
As if there wouldn’t be a sweet tooth recipe!? Here’s how:
- Blend a can of full fat coconut milk, 1 avocado, 1/2 cup lime juice, 1/4 tsp vanilla stevia, 1/8 teaspoon vanilla powder.
- Pour into popsicle molds.
- Freeze 4 hours.
- Slurp away.
Adapted from Elena’s Pantry.
7. Grain Free Tortillas
If you haven’t heard of cassava flour yet, best stock up. Make these like your usual tortilla but instead use this:
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 3 tbsp cold pork lard
- dash of sea salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
Just process it all together, divide the flour into six portions, press and flash fry. Voila!
Adapted from Meatified.com.
8. Chicken Salsa Verde Tacos with Lime Pickled Red Onion
Alright, got those grain-free tortillas? We’ll make this easy.
- First pickle your onions by pressing a 1/2 cup of finely sliced red onion into a jar. Add the juice of 3 limes and let sit while you do the rest (at least 15 minutes).
- Then, sizzle up some shredded chicken, green onion salsa verde and chicken broth in a small pot.
- Assemble and enjoy.
Adapted from Meatified.com.
9. Beef Tacos
This recipe is already in our blood, but here it is anyway:
- Saute a diced onion in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil until the onions turn translucent.
- Add in 1 lb ground beef and sauté until the beef is pretty much cooked. Use a spatula to stir the beef to ensure it doesn’t clump together. Pour out any excess water.
- When the beef is pretty much cooked, add in:
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 diced bell pepper
- 1 diced jalapeño
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp cumin powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook until the tomatoes are soft.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with lettuce wraps or by themselves.
Adapted from Paleo Flourish.
10. Crockpot Paleo Pork Carnitas Recipe
May lettuce cups always be a part of our lives. Amen.
- Mix this together:
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon of cumin powder
- 1 Tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon of paprika
- 1/4 cup orange juice (optional)
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- Place 2 lbs of boneless pork shoulder into a slow cooker, pour the mixture in and rub.
- Set the slow cooker to cook for 8 hours on low heat.
- When it’s ready, remove the meat and any onions from the slow cooker.
- Shred the meat and season with extra salt to taste.
- Enjoy with the lettuce wraps, lime wedges, and chopped cilantro.
Adapted from Paleo Flourish.
11. Cuban Picadillo Quesadillas
If you’re craving quesadillas, get the low-carb tortillas (or make those grain-free cassava flour tortillas) and make these your only carbs today.
Just brown 1.5lb lean ground beef on high heat and season with salt and pepper. Once cooked through, drain the juice from the pan. Then add all of this and simmer for 20 min:
- 1/2 large chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 4 oz (1/2 can) tomato sauce (I like Goya, check label for Keto)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp alcaparrado (capers or green olives would work too)
Cuban picadillo + Mexican quesadilla= drool city.
12. Slow Cooker Chile Verde
Guys this is so easy. Just add all this to a slow cooker and cook on high for six hours.
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp dried cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 lb Anaheim chilies remove seeds and finely dice
- 2 jalapenosremove seeds and dice
- 1 medium oniondiced
- 6 cloves garlicminced
- 1 1/2 lbs diced Pork tenderloin
Adapted from AGirlWorthSaving.net.
13. Tortilla Española
To make this keto-friendly, we have to pull out the papas. :'( No te preocupes, there is cauliflower rice, and this satisfies that craving.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sauté two diced bell peppers and 1 diced onion with 3 Tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Parboil 1/2 head cauliflower florets – boil for 2 minutes and drain immediately.
- Mix this in a bowl:
- sautéd vegetables
- 8 medium eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 4 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9-inch by 9-inch (23-cm by 23-cm) square baking dish.
- Make sure the spread the vegetables (especially the cauliflower) out carefully.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the eggs are soft but set.
Adapted from Paleo Flourish
14. Paleo Tamales
Sad news: masa isn’t the most keto-friendly (beware of the carbs). Make your tamales como siempre but instead swap out your masa dough with this:
- 4 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 4 Tbsp. cold lard/bacon fat
- 1/4 cup beef or chicken broth
Just mix it all together in a bowl and set aside for ten minutes before beginning to form your tamales.
Adapted from Paleo Cupboard.
15. Low-Carb Tortilla Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Add an egg and mix using a hand mixer, until a crumbly dough forms.
- In a small bowl, microwave 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella until it’s melted and easy to stir. (Alternatively, you can melt it using a double broiler on the stove.) Add to the dough mixture and knead/squeeze with your hands until well incorporated. If it stops incorporating before it’s fully mixed, you can reheat it for 15-20 seconds again before kneading more.
- Place the dough between two large pieces of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll out very thin, about 1/16″ thick.
- Cut the dough into triangles and arranged on the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 8-12 minutes, until golden and firm. The chips may release some sizzling oil on the top – just pat dry with a paper towel. They will crisp up as they cool.
Adapted from Wholesome Yum.
16. Low Carb Lasagna Stuffed Peppers
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet.
- Chop off the tops and scoop out the innards of 6 bell peppers. Hack: thinly slice off a bit of the bottom so it stands up straight.
- Make a meat suace by heating 1.5lb ground beef & 4 cloves garlic minced on medium-high heat. Stir in marinara sauce and 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Layer 1-2 Tbsp each of meat sauce, ricotta cheese, and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes with a aluminum foil tent over the peppers. Remove foil and bake 10 more minutes to brown the cheese.
Adapted from Wholesome Yum.
17. Jalapeño Poppers
What’s low-carb, high fat and wrapped in bacon? 😛
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet.
- In a medium-sized bowl add and mix:
- ½-1 cup goat feta
- ½-1 cup shredded goat cheese
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using your hands, fill each halved jalapeño with the cheese mixture.
- Wrap jalapeño with turkey bacon and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Adapted from Dr. Axe.
18. Crucial step: follow @ketokouplenyc to get their pandebono recipe!
They’re the inspo we all need to know that si se puede.
Caption: “Tonight’s Dinner: Shirataki “Rice”, marinated chicken and keto “pan de bono”! ??? Seasoned the rice with Goya sazon to give it an authentic yellow color and Latino flavor and it was delicious! The “pan de bono” is our own recipe based on traditional Colombian preparation– it includes only keto friendly ingredients! Be sure to keep an eye on our page– we’ll be releasing a recipe video soon ??”
19. Almond Flour Bread Cubano
The bread is crucial. You can do the rest.
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Beat in 1/4 tsp cream of tartar with 6 large egg whites until soft peaks are formed.
- In a food processer combine:
- 1/3 of mixture
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 1.5 cup almond flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Add remaining 2/3 of egg mixture and gently process. DON’T OVERMIX.
- Pour into a buttered bread pan and bake for 30 minutes
Caption: “First Almond Flour Bread/ Almond Flour Crouton Success!! ?? Used this recipe on KetoConnect ( https://www.ketoconnect.net/recipe/best-keto-bread/ )Forgot the butter for this attempt, but it still turned out pretty good. We’re excited about being able to include a bread substitute into our daily regiment.”
Adapted from KetoConnect.net
20. Low Carb Tortilla Pizzas
Because cauliflower crust is just too extra to make (trust).
Caption: “Woo lawd ? Yesterday we truly finessed two precious lil keto pizzas. The first was Jons— a little sauce, mozzarella, fresh basil and chicken breast. The second was mine— a little sauce, gouda, sausage, basil, and swiss chard. #keto #latinoketo”
And then another comment: “**ALL ON LOW CARB WRAPS OF COURSE**”
21. Chicken & Egg Salad Burritos
This couple is goals. ATTN: Goya Sazon is keto-friendly!
Caption: “#missionwraps new, lower carb wraps are a godsend! They kill our craving for carbs while only being 4 TOTAL NET CARBS!!! They’re perfect for our chicken ‘n’ egg salad lunch wraps– shredded chicken, boiled eggs (chopped), onion, paprika, Goya Sazon, black pepper, brown mustard and a neat little chiffonade of some spring greens ? It’ll make your tummy haaaaappy ??”
We leave you with these amazing platters of food from real live people as your inspo.
If I can eat that much avocado per meal, I’m here for it.
Caption: “Another finessed #latinoketo meal ? #miraclerice “chicken fried rice” seasoned with @goyafoods sazon, chicken seasoned with adobo and cilantro, fresh aguacate AND authentic Chilena pebre made by the mystical hands of Mama Leyton herself ???”
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org